Miami Miscellaneous

miamijimf

1 hour ago, pahonu said:

That’s too bad about so many shops closing on OD.  Your theory is exactly what was done in the two examples I explained, and it proved successful.  Here’s hoping that OD will see some success as well.  One of the newer things I’ve seen in terms of improving street life here in Long Beach is actually the very old concept of mixed use, which all but disappeared.  Several new condo complexes in the downtown have commercial space at street level.  There are several cranes active there now and I’ve been following some of the projects.  We need more housing badly so the construction is good to see in general, but it’s really good to see they are considering the street level in a more community friendly way. 

Miami Beach is it’s own municipality, correct?  Perhaps, this is all part of a broader plan?  Long Beach is actually quite a large city and most people don’t realize it, being in the shadow of LA.  It has almost half a million people.  Fortunately it has a pretty good plan in place for future development, at least compared to others I’ve compared it to, which in many cases is little to no plan at all.  I also think most residents have no idea about all these kinds of planning considerations.

I have to say that I’m really enjoying this discussion.  I want to go back to Miami now.  It’s been so long!

personnally i don't think the future is to street shops. i mean nowadays everyone buys on the internet. including second hand products. you can have lower prices, have valuable reviews, and eventually send back if not satisfied (at least in EU). so what is it left. restaurants, and alike (bars, cafés..), supermarkets, and alike. and things like tourist season stuff, and DIY stuff. and apart these which are something different, i see nothing there stopping a bicycle. but pahonu underlined an element, if the city has been built around the car, this is another thing

Edited by jpaul1

6 hours ago, Tom said:

No mixed use in MB in these condo areas. A good example is the 20-22 street stretch with Wolfie´s and the Gayety Burlesque fronts we all know from the series. Vis a vis were lots of hotels (The Sasson) and tourist shops. On 22nd there was a hotel complex as well with lots of shops vis a vis and clubs (Club Nu) and a pharmacy

Like Concord Electronics (Florence Italy and other episodes).    Back in the 1980s I bought a boombox from a little electronics shop like this.  Now we just buy on Amazon.  :thumbsdown:

concord.png.ccf5f719e58e9dbeb7999b54b853128f.png

• Like 1

just repeating my 2 pages ago question. not that i want to spam, but i'm pretty sure that as it was part of an edit, everybody skipped it

in another register what caused Haïtian to massively emigrate to Miami. is it poverty only, or are there any other political reason behind this

44 minutes ago, jpaul1 said:

just repeating my 2 pages ago question. not that i want to spam, but i'm pretty sure that as it was part of an edit, everybody skipped it

It’s largely because of poverty.  Haiti is the poorest nation in the Western Hemisphere.  However, the poverty was worsened in the chaos following the collapse of the Duvalier regime, father and son.  That was in the mid 80’s.  Most immigration has been since then.  They were also granted Temporary Protected Status following the earthquake 10 years ago, but I believe that has expired. 

Haitians and other Caribbean groups weren’t given the same long term special  immigration status as Cubans.  Because it’s is a communist nation, the Cuban Adjustment Act, allows any Cuban who has arrived in the US legally to apply for permanent residency after a year and a day in the country.  This was passed by the US Congress in 1966 during the Cold War and continues to this day..  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I tried to drive down OD a few times since the pandemic started but it's always been closed. I went there a few days ago (I moved closer to Miami last week) to watch the sunrise but it was still closed off. Figured since the number of new Covid cases in the state of Florida has gotten a lot lower than it's been, maybe they'd open it back up again. Kinda bummed that there won't be any driving down there anymore.

• 3 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, miamijimf said:

If I win the lottery this will be my view:

Ek-buO5XgAAejqV.thumb.jpg.26ccea0bb7c95f5c243f2cbcd64d1efe.jpg

I was about 4 floors down from that “view” last month. :) 

They are at The Fontainebleau, right?

On 10/24/2020 at 5:53 AM, Dadrian said:

Well I’m sure that view works fine on all levels in any scenery or vice versa :p

Edited by daytona365
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Dadrian said:

I think it is the Eden Roc.

14 hours ago, daytona365 said:

Well I’m sure that view works fine on all levels  in any scenery or vice versa :p

Absolutely.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, miamijimf said:

I think it is the Eden Roc.

Absolutely.

I think you are right Jim looks like Eden Roc (and there is the Condo we see in the Pilot in a day drive by scene). Great looking girls too. :D

Eden Roc- 

26F9AE60-ED7A-4EB3-B176-D9C623528576.jpeg

7595C038-6FB6-4FE8-88A8-C2A9A23F4025.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Current day aerial just over Terminal Isle and the Star Island bridge looking down the Macarthur Causeway to Watson Island and Downtown. (Pilot, Miami Vice Movie 2006, Big Thaw, Smugglers Blues, Deliver Us From Evil to name a few):glossy:

7C1E36E9-47E5-4661-AFE0-ABAB4AEA858D.jpeg

• Like 3

Forget just getting a selfie stick and taking pics and videos of popular Miami Vice shooting locations. Some of these pics are making me think I should buy a drone and get some really great aerial shots and incorporate them into my ideas for my Miami Vice 'vlog' of all those places that I wanna put up on Youtube.

• Like 1

I took this around three months ago at the end of the day outside Burgers and Shakes (“Hard Knocks”) in North Beach looking north up Collins. Such beaut colors.:cheers::hippie:

49C120CC-B072-4F73-AA75-CC0BB3E1FF72.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 7

Who SAYS we've Got No Traditions in Fla Binding Us All Together?  How about boarding up?

432775436_WhoSAYSWeveGotNoTraditionsinMiamiBindingUsAllTogether.thumb.jpg.1037c94cf2a02834b59da60f60b2cab7.jpg

Hurricane Eta heading for Tampa  but don't think it will be that bad.  Thanks 2020.

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 2

Hurricane/Tropical Storm ETA practically drowned Miami a few days ago and now the same storm doubled back on the West Coast.  Never seen so much rain here.   Thanks 2020.

Capture.JPG.a2b11508e40a3ce5e89c071ccbf88b5c.JPG

• Haha 1

@TylerDurden389 be aware (i'm sure you already know it), you can't fly drones anywhere. i know for example most of US national parks banned them. same for some cities. also actual drones price/performance is pretty high

@miamijimf are these huts over one period, or over several years

• Like 1

Nice current day shot of The Palace Condominiums at Brickell and SE15th Road(Heart of Darkness, Hit List, Rites of Passage, Yankee Dollar and French Twist). The Palace is first seen in “Rites of Passage” but the Marina and the rear was featured in one episode (“French Twist”) where the St.Vitus Dance was moored for the episode. Completed in 1981 Arquitectonica designed this building like they did The Atlantis and Pink(Spear) House all of which had big roles in Miami Vice.

A32B7323-7ACC-4B44-B937-4652B5E0BD28.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Nice current day view of the Fontainebleau Hilton (“Trust Fund Pirates”, “Rites of Passage”, another deleted Season 1 scene featuring C&T with Noogie).

85C0B382-1229-44D8-8B8B-63100E447307.jpeg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...