Miami Miscellaneous

miamijimf

Great pics and an interesting book.  Too bad the movie The Jungle Trail is lost.   The small dome shaped roofs inspired the designers of the nearby 12th Avenue Bridge over the Miami River.  The Bridge Tender’s houses have similar dome shaped roofs.  

Capture.JPG.0400b7148babb0d6864e87285319dd05.JPG

• Like 2

There are still signs of WWII around Miami Beach.  Here's one of them - The Viscay Hotel located at 960 Collins Avenue, built in 1942.

Capturev.JPG.990c2e57f1d8549f55a5ce8557729dc4.JPG

There is a “V” displayed on the terrazzo floor at the front entrance. Above the “V” are three dots and a dash, which is Morse code.

Capturev2.JPG.be02abc8bfda0ec93e38d00da6759cc9.JPG

During WWII, the Allies wanted a piece to use in their propaganda to support the war effort, and Beethoven's 5th Symphony stood out because, in addition to being awesome, that famous opening motif, repeated throughout, (Da Da Da DUMMMMM...) if you put it in Morse code (short short short long) is the letter "V".

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, miamijimf said:

Great pics and an interesting book.  Too bad the movie The Jungle Trail is lost.   

Sadly, the majority of films of the silent era are deemed lost.  Some put the number above 75%. A combination of neglect and flammable nitrate film stock decimated these early films.  Theda Bara, famous for her vamp roles, has almost none of her films still in existence.  I think it’s maybe five from a career of dozens of films.

Edited by pahonu
  • Sad 1

The Navy's Blue Angels, an acrobatics and precision flying team, will put on a demonstration over S. Fla tomorrow as a gesture to honor the self-sacrifice and great work of the doctors, nursers, and others who are fighting the virus.

95887036_10222990912386571_2245557508217241600_n.thumb.jpg.10bbab9d82c433b4b77a047e7501da93.jpg

• Like 1

A recent not quite current day aerial of Brickell Bay Drive and Brickell from SE15th road (“Heart of Darkness”, “Hit List”) to SE14th St. The tallest building centre is the Four Seasons Hotel seen in the Miami Vice movie(2006). 

1D9CD306-8FEE-48B3-BDFA-7E5697B4DB55.jpeg

• Like 2

Although we don’t see it in Miami Vice as it was demolished in 1980 - this is the Miami Beach Dog Track aka Kennel Club which was on first and Ocean siting on the site Nikki Beach is on today at 1 Ocean Drive. Here is a good article I found too -  

http://growingintothemystery.net/then-and-now-the-miami-beach-kennel-club-and-environs-1930-and-todays-south-beach/

B7D4EB5E-D22B-4D38-AE51-B29BBA1944CE.jpeg

DDBF852B-CFA5-45D2-80B5-8FAF1B85B6A7.jpeg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Matt5 said:

Although we don’t see it in Miami Vice as it was demolished in 1980 - this is the Miami Beach Dog Track aka Kennel Club which was on first and Ocean siting on the site Nikki Beach is on today at 1 Ocean Drive. Here is a good article I found too -  

http://growingintothemystery.net/then-and-now-the-miami-beach-kennel-club-and-environs-1930-and-todays-south-beach/

B7D4EB5E-D22B-4D38-AE51-B29BBA1944CE.jpeg

DDBF852B-CFA5-45D2-80B5-8FAF1B85B6A7.jpeg

Remember it well.  As a kid I never got inside because you had to be 21, if I remember correctly, but we used their parking lot to visit the pier and go swimming.  Dog tracks are under attack these days for "animal cruelty."  I know some track employees in Sarasota and have seen dogs well treated and adopted as pets when their racing days were over.

Edited by miamijimf

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in Hollywood, so I heard the jets fly over around 1:08pm. I looked out the window and saw a white cloud/trail in the sky go one direction then turn.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Doral once one of Miami Beach’s most exclusive hotels in the 1950-70s era - here it is back in the day looking north up the A1A. The Doral at 4800 Collins was seen in the Pilot and Fruit of the Poison Tree . 

4A523B7C-070A-4202-AD71-2928800B862D.jpeg

• Like 1

Video shows entertainment highlights of the Fontainebleau, the Beach, and Miami.  With all those stars, shows, movies etc further North on Collins in the 60s, 70s, and early 80s you can see why S. Beach became a backwater and needed saving.  The Fontainebleau has held its status as the Beach's most famous and glamorous hotel.

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That beautiful mural at the Fountainbleu should've never been removed.  I remember seeing that my first time in Miami and being in awe!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, miamijimf said:

Video shows entertainment highlights of the Fontainebleau, the Beach, and Miami.  With all those stars, shows, movies etc further North on Collins in the 60s, 70s, and early 80s you can see why S. Beach became a backwater and needed saving.  The Fontainebleau has held its status as the Beach's most famous and glamorous hotel.

Nice piece Jim.

Edited by Matt5

I have just published episode 110 of Burn notice on my Burn Notice season 7 site. That means only one more episode to complete the series. This means many things to me but to Vice fans it also means no more episodes to build so I will be full time on updates and improvements.

• Like 1

Am 16.6.2020 um 16:51 schrieb C Glide:

I have just published episode 110 of Burn notice on my Burn Notice season 7 site. That means only one more episode to complete the series. This means many things to me but to Vice fans it also means no more episodes to build so I will be full time on updates and improvements.

Great. Looking forward to the MV updates. There are plenty of them needed - around 30+(!) location additions in 23+(!) episodes.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nice shot, not one of mine, but a current day of the Venetian Causeway mainland end looking west at sunrise. We see this stretch in “Miami Squeeze”, “Glades”, “Florence Italy”, “Bought and Paid For”, “Cool Runnin’ and “Heart of Darkness”.

693B3114-A64C-4E22-899A-F9BB297E35EF.jpeg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I was send this today - 1959,  looked fantastic from Chopin Plaza, Bayfront Park looking north.

449082A9-4C56-4472-8653-555FAACF9E72.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Nice current day shot off Key Biscayne looking to the Rickenbacker Cswy and Brickell (similar to what we see in the closing credits at times, also in “Lombard” when C&T leave the St Vitus with Lombard).

60F2EEA2-6510-46CF-ADC6-D802CE0ED724.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This has probably been posted before but to me it's a very nostalgic scene.  Now known as South Pointe Park this pic looks like the early 50s.  It was a great meeting place/hang out for teenagers.

118421137_1576072032574909_8283748761731138113_o.jpg.80515bc636769fa958901c122f66d3d6.jpg

• Like 2

Florida is a fun place to live. i came across one of these during my trip to Guadeloupe 2 years ago. it's pretty stressing actually for one not used to it. when you are in a rental car, and suddenly the road you're in turns into a river :)