Miami Miscellaneous

miamijimf

A great photo from late 1975 down Biscayne - the white building to the close left is the old library which we see in the teaser “Florence Italy”.:cheers:

89C4433F-43EB-4CBF-AFF9-912ACD8B7F94.jpeg

• Like 4

Current day Port of Miami looking to Downtown and Brickell on a rainy day. Well it is the rainy season!

Seen in “Heart of Darkness”, “Tale of the Goat”, “By Hooker By Crook”, “God’s Work”, “Like a Hurricane” and the 2006 Miami Vice movie to name a few.:cheers:

53EB46D8-42D9-4DC1-84A5-32B6408C14A1.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 4

From the internet.  Former Miamians reminiscing about life in the 80s and explaining why they moved away.  Sounds like Vice episodes.

Circa 1980s. Does anyone remember the house on/near Killian Parkway that blew up? It was a hit ordered by Griselda Blanco on a member of a drug cartel, and 200 sticks of dynamite were used. It was around SW 100 ave.

I remember a house on the corner of SW 66th St and 84th Ave. It blew up when someone was making drugs with ether. A 55 gal drum. It blew out the windows, lifted the roof and damaged surrounding homes. I lived on 82ave and 65th St. The guy ran through my yard and I caught up with him. He was shirtless and all of his skin was peeling. He ran to the 874 Xpressway.

That's one of the reasons I left Miami on a hundred and 7th Avenue in 1980 a machine gun and the car driving down the road very fast shooting at another car and hit all kinds of buildings.  The 7-Eleven the flower show the most side damage.  It hit a restaurant but didn't kill anyone there but they were killing each other left and right.   I was out in my yard I lived on 105th Court and thought it was Thunder.  It was machine guns, I moved to Orlando

I also remember a car blew up at the intersection of SW 87th Ave and Miller.  It happened on a weekday morning around 5:00! I understand it was a hit! The car ended up hitting someone’s wall.

Edited by miamijimf

On 2/22/2020 at 3:32 AM, miamijimf said:

From the internet.  Former Miamians reminiscing about life in the 80s and explaining why they moved away.  Sounds like Vice episodes.

Circa 1980s. Does anyone remember the house on/near Killian Parkway that blew up? It was a hit ordered by Griselda Blanco on a member of a drug cartel, and 200 sticks of dynamite were used. It was around SW 100 ave.

I remember a house on the corner of SW 66th St and 84th Ave. It blew up when someone was making drugs with ether. A 55 gal drum. It blew out the windows, lifted the roof and damaged surrounding homes. I lived on 82ave and 65th St. The guy ran through my yard and I caught up with him. He was shirtless and all of his skin was peeling. He ran to the 874 Xpressway.

That's one of the reasons I left Miami on a hundred and 7th Avenue in 1980 a machine gun and the car driving down the road very fast shooting at another car and hit all kinds of buildings.  The 7-Eleven the flower show the most side damage.  It hit a restaurant but didn't kill anyone there but they were killing each other left and right.   I was out in my yard I lived on 105th Court and thought it was Thunder.  It was machine guns, I moved to Orlando

I also remember a car blew up at the intersection of SW 87th Ave and Miller.  It happened on a weekday morning around 5:00! I understand it was a hit! The car ended up hitting someone’s wall.

Amazing Jim.

I like this one - a current day drone shot above the Sears Tower (Pilot, “One Eyed Jack”, “One Way Ticket” and others) looking down Biscayne.

0E0522B3-EFE9-47CD-8977-9EFA1B8BAE08.jpeg

• Like 3

I was just on a cruise out of Lauderdale last week.  We sailed past Miami late afternoon, which was gorgeous.  I couldn't believe how the skyline has changed so much since my visit in about 2001.  Thru my binoculars I was able to pinpoint some buildings/landmarks, but for the most part it's just a mess of highrises. 

• Like 1

Interesting pic.  The inlet with the yacht is a remnant of the old Port of Miami.  You can also see the Panorama building, tallest south of Manhattan.  Been close to the top.

ESWO17pWoAAMHRz.thumb.jpg.743bdd412193897ed61eef4f55437e60.jpg

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 2

This is the Barbara Baer Capitman Memorial on Ocean Drive.  In 1976 she started the movement to preserve the historic (mostly Art Deco) buildings in South Beach.  In just a few years the bust has turned green from its original bronze, a testament to the heat and humidity in Miami.

https://www.mdpl.org/visual-memoirs-project/barbara-capitman-memorial/

P1010134.thumb.JPG.d3d56afc50f4935e232e269c53c9771c.JPG

• Like 1

Al Capone's pool at 93 Palm Avenue, Palm Island.  He had guard houses at both ends of the property.

87484924_2908139485919579_5082154047381700608_o.jpg.8c9a31fae1c214c9c749bb341e49e913.jpg

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 4

On 3/5/2020 at 4:20 PM, miamijimf said:

Interesting pic.  The inlet with the yacht is a remnant of the old Port of Miami.  You can also see the Panorama building, tallest south of Manhattan.  Been close to the top.

Interesting Jim - we see this inlet in “Smugglers Blues” also from the air.

19 hours ago, Tommy Vercetti said:

Here's a BBC documentary called Postcards From Miami which features an interview with Don on the set of Vice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-KLS4Dq-18

Thanks for finding this!  I thought it seemed familiar and it turns out a tiny portion of it has been posted previously:

https://miamiviceonline.com/index.php?/topic/12291-don-johnson-1988-in-interview-at-set-to-freefall-episode/

At 5:13 we see the Little Prince house.

On 3/5/2020 at 4:20 PM, miamijimf said:

Interesting Jim - we see this inlet in “Smugglers Blues” also from the air.

A Nice aerial of Fort Lauderdale and Las Olas (“Whatever Works”, “Free Verse”, “One Way Ticket”, “Phil the Shill”) looking South from August 2009. Ok the sky has been tampered with color wise, but is still real neat. 

5041D1C9-1546-4931-A714-86D462EB4E0F.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 3

A large marina not seen very often.  The SW corner of the Beach with the MacArthur and Fisher Island in View.

ESyANo5VAAU7nD-.thumb.jpg.64a82114e6c63a516f4dcee1bf7418aa.jpg

Edited by miamijimf

10 hours ago, Matt5 said:

A Nice aerial of Fort Lauderdale and Las Olas (“Whatever Works”, “Free Verse”, “One Way Ticket”, “Phil the Shill”) looking South from August 2009. Ok the sky has been tampered with color wise, but is still real neat. 

5041D1C9-1546-4931-A714-86D462EB4E0F.jpeg

Nice shot!  Was just there.  Love Ft. Lauderdale, but the airport is an absolute nightmare.  So bad we are considering flying to Tampa and driving over next trip.