Miami Miscellaneous

miamijimf

41 minutes ago, miamijimf said:

Dadrian, that happened a few years ago when a cruise ship capsized off the coast of Italy.

I remember that. Terrible. Had to throw a quote in though. :p

2 hours ago, miamijimf said:

Dadrian, that happened a few years ago when a cruise ship capsized off the coast of Italy.

what event was it. never heard of this. if you're talking of the costa concordia, it wasn't a structure issue

On 11/25/2019 at 4:26 AM, jpaul1 said:

what event was it. never heard of this. if you're talking of the costa concordia, it wasn't a structure issue

yeah, that guy hit a rock the size of a house and partly ripped it out of the sea bottom, while chit-chattin' with someone on his cell phone. He deliberately chose a course that was close to an island, to impress his passengers. Can't blame the design of the ship for the ignorance of its captain.

Datei:Collision of Costa Concordia DSC4191.jpg – Wikipedia

Edited by daytona365
  • Sad 1

i think the captain was a scapegoat. i mean yeah he made an hasardous maneuver that ended up into a disaster. but that maneuver was encouraged by the company 'granpas & granmas' entertainment policy. and i think the dead were for the most, caused by a catastrophic preparation to emergency situations. which in all honesty, is not the captain responsability. the captain took 16 years which is huge. i mean it's almost the sentence for voluntary homicide in France, while the guy  was just a puppet (without being pejorative). but it's a bit OT

Edited by jpaul1

10 hours ago, jpaul1 said:

i think the captain was a scapegoat. i mean yeah he made an hasardous maneuver that ended up into a disaster. but that maneuver was encouraged by the company 'granpas & granmas' entertainment policy. and i think the dead were for the most, caused by a catastrophic preparation to emergency situations. which in all honesty, is not the captain responsability. the captain took 16 years which is huge. i mean it's almost the sentence for voluntary homicide in France, while the guy  was just a puppet (without being pejorative). but it's a bit OT

I believe his sentence also took into account his actions after the event.  He was one of the earlier people to get off the damaged vessel when, as captain, he should have been leading the egress.  This concept is part of international maritime law and has been for decades, perhaps even centuries.

Put simply, he caused an accident, which was not smart but still an accident.  However, he then left the scene while others were still in need of help.  That’s his great failure as a ship’s captain.

• Like 1

his formation was not is responsability. but the company's. it's been reported that the whole crew messed up during the evacuation, and that they weren't trained enough. this is the proof the company has been overconfident about their high end ship; and by doing so created a second titanic

In maritime law, the ship's captain’s responsibility for his vessel is paramount no matter what its condition, so abandoning a ship has legal consequences.  Therefore, even if a captain abandons his ship in distress, he is generally responsible for it in his absence and would be compelled to return to the ship until danger to the vessel has relented. If a naval captain evacuates a vessel in wartime, it may be considered a serious crime similar to desertion, unless he subsequently returns to the ship at his first opportunity to prevent its capture and rescue the crew.

Abandoning a ship in distress may be considered a crime that can lead to imprisonment. Captain Francesco Schettino,  who left his ship in the midst of the Costa Concordia disaster was not only widely reviled for his actions, but lost his final appeal against his 16-year Italian prison sentence, including one year for abandoning his passengers, five years for causing the shipwreck, and ten years for manslaughter of its victims. Abandoning ship is a maritime crime that has been on the books for centuries.

I have been an active ocean sailor for over 25 years and realize that many people unfamiliar with maritime law don’t realize the responsibility and liability a captain assumes for their vessel and the passengers aboard.  By way of example, if someone drowns after accidentally going overboard from my sailboat and my boat was found to not have an appropriate throwable PFD or even the proper number of life vests for the number of people aboard, I would be liable and could be prosecuted for manslaughter.  Such events have absolutely happened in the past.

The captain can blame anyone he wants but  he ultimately took control of the vessel and is LEGALLY responsible.  If the training of crew or safety equipment was suspect in his judgment, he should never have left the dock.

Edited by pahonu
  • Like 1

On a lighter note - Happy Birthday Everglades National Park founded 72 yrs ago by President Harry Truman.  Nothing like it in the world.  It is not a swamp but actually a river where the water flows south at an almost imperceptible 100 ft. per day.  Preserving it is a never ending struggle.

https://www.facebook.com/evergladestrust/videos/484306788868350/

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 3

What do you think about this "art work" being sold during Art Basel in Miami for $120,000 thousand dollars?  Not sure I can say "only in Miami" here because there are examples of this sort of thing happening elsewhere but there is something distinctively "Miami" about this.

banana.png.09696c39857d4e1257cb90ab1a4a3273.png

• Haha 3

if the artist goal was to show that most of artistic creations prices are insane, then this is a great art work. maybe the money had been collected for some caritative action??

On 12/7/2019 at 12:29 PM, miamijimf said:

What do you think about this "art work" being sold during Art Basel in Miami for $120,000 thousand dollars?  Not sure I can say "only in Miami" here because there are examples of this sort of thing happening elsewhere but there is something distinctively "Miami" about this.  Makes me think of an Izzy scam.

banana.png.09696c39857d4e1257cb90ab1a4a3273.png

I read about this hilarious! 

Edited by miamijimf

A real ‘Miami Nice’ current day view from the water of 1000 Venetian Way (Heart of Darkness, By Hooker By Crook) and the Macarthur Causeway at sunset.
A clever photo as you have the Venetian and Julia Tuttle causeways also in the picture lined up.

0EBB8885-CEA1-425A-B60F-37BDFE7EE51B.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Many improvements on Lincoln Road Miami Beach lately.  Not sure Sonny would recognize it.  It is about a block East from the "Cuban festival" filmed in the 900 block in Knock Knock...Who's There.   For you Burn Notice fans, the tall building is the former home of the Van Dyke Cafe in season 4's Last Stand at 846 Lincoln Road Mall.

Capture.JPG.65739ddcb96f2f3e95f2f2db30270c0c.JPG

Edited by miamijimf

17 hours ago, miamijimf said:

Many improvements on Lincoln Road Miami Beach lately.  Not sure Sonny would recognize it.  This photo taken about a block East from the "Cuban festival" filmed in the 900 block in Knock Knock...Who's There.   For you Burn Notice fans, the tall building is the former home of the Van Dyke Cafe in season 4's Last Stand at 846 Lincoln Road Mall.

Capture.JPG.65739ddcb96f2f3e95f2f2db30270c0c.JPG

Nice Jim.

Edited by miamijimf