Miami Miscellaneous

miamijimf

On 9/12/2019 at 2:28 PM, miamijimf said:

Miami Beach began to boom in the early 1920's. The rail line made it possible to live or vacation near the ocean and still have the advantage of quick, inexpensive, and frequent transportation into downtown Miami.  Bring it back, we need it badly considering the awful traffic these days.

trolley.thumb.jpg.f2912dacb192d1607dd0bd49408a0be4.jpg

Agreed Jim.  Here in SoCal in the 50’s we tore out the “Red cars” a street car system linking LA and places inland to Santa Monica, Newport Beach and many other beaches like my hometown, Long Beach.  We replaced it with the much faster freeways, not!  Now we’re rebuilding those lines at much greater expense.  Some cities wisely kept the old systems and added the new.  LA and Miami are sadly not in that group. 

• Like 2

Current day photo in Key Biscayne of Mashta Point / end of S Mashta Dr seen in “Sons and Lovers” and dare I say it “Missing Hours”.

CD80215B-8FFD-407C-82D4-7BA9BF43694A.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Matt5 said:

Current day photo in Key Biscayne of Mashta Point / end of S Mashta Dr seen in “Sons and Lovers” and dare I say it “Missing Hours”.

CD80215B-8FFD-407C-82D4-7BA9BF43694A.jpeg

Maybe Orlando Jr. bought that place and fixed it up in memory of his mother. :p

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Dadrian said:

Maybe Orlando Jr. bought that place and fixed it up in memory of his mother. :p

Poor mommy. A sad day for Tubbs and us all. :thumbsdown:I see the shak has gone:)

Edited by Matt5
  • Haha 1

@Dadrian Interestingly a year later in “Afternoon Plane” Tubbs is telling Alicia that Calderone killed his son and he refers to Angelina as his woman.

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Matt5 said:

@Dadrian Interestingly a year later in “Afternoon Plane” Tubbs is telling Alicia that Calderone killed his son and he refers to Angelina as his woman.

Right. I always thought that maybe they couldn’t kill a baby on TV, but letting the father think it was dead was okay (censorship-wise). I agree with the people who suggested his son be involved someway if there is ever a reboot, but that would be good, so they probably won’t. :) 

• Like 2

Flooding is becoming a common and regular occurrence in Miami this year much more frequently than other years. Every year it is getting worse - due to rising sea levels and climate change. This was a recent photo. This will continue to worsen.

0E39D017-7BB9-47A0-B6C6-7CD6F50A596D.jpeg

• Sad 2

5 minutes ago, Matt5 said:

Flooding is becoming a common and regular occurrence in Miami this year much more frequently than other years. Every year it is getting worse - due to rising sea levels and climate change. This was a recent photo. This will continue to worsen.

0E39D017-7BB9-47A0-B6C6-7CD6F50A596D.jpeg

Oh, no! That's terrible!

11 minutes ago, mjcmmv said:

Oh, no! That's terrible!

Very sad - I saw this many times this year but mainly in Miami Beach Area not north - the drains are not ready to the amount of rainfall, as well as being clogged up with plastic and litter (a big problem in particular in Miami Beach up to 41st St from 1st St).

• Sad 1

i spoke about that hypothetical problem once on the forums years ago. but i mostly got sceptical answerings. yeah this is actually frightening for that region, especially when you know that FL highest point is 95 meters (312ft)

@ dadrian: yeah, but if they keep it in the same vein of the original series, they'll probably make him come back as an 'abandoned child' who became a mobster because of that (dark storyline). but yeah, there's definitely lot of potential with that

Edited by jpaul1

Allapatah is such a lovely neighborhood. there are so many places that smells authenticity there. when i roam the city in street view, sometimes it takes time to me to find the city i used to love when i was a kid. but in Allapatah, i immediately find the Miami i used to love

3 hours ago, jpaul1 said:

Allapatah is such a lovely neighborhood. there are so many places that smells authenticity there. when i roam the city in street view, sometimes it takes time to me to find the city i used to love when i was a kid. but in Allapatah, i immediately find the Miami i used to love

It’s pretty rough there - I spend some time there over the years and it has its problems with gang violence and shootings - I would not recommend being there after dark.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

violence is endemic in the States, sadly. not only in the States btw. but maybe you were right for some particular years, but right now it seems the things are not that bad according to that map.

this is the whole world that seems to be breaking down right now actually

but i prefer to take a coffee in a small cafeteria in Allapatah, rather than in Miami beach if you ask me

https://www.crimemapping.com/map/fl/miami-dadecounty

edit: actually i didn't see the map filter was set on 1 week period. the criminality in Miami is simply astonishing. now i understand these people who live in bunker residences. this is mind blowing :wuerg:. is there a civil war out there, or something omg.. :wuerg:

Edited by jpaul1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Matt5 said:

Miami Beach circa 1978 - anyone recognise the building seen in the picture front left- bonus points if you know the episode we see this building.

0F34FE8D-2626-458E-8D97-35FEB4A71B05.jpeg

I Google Earthed my way down Ocean Drive and can't find it.

7 hours ago, Matt5 said:

Miami Beach circa 1978 - anyone recognise the building seen in the picture front left- bonus points if you know the episode we see this building.

0F34FE8D-2626-458E-8D97-35FEB4A71B05.jpeg

1400 block of Ocean Drive next to the Winterhaven, seen when the old man crosses the road in "No Exit"

noexitoldman.png.78fe697d2f25ccd18103fce0777e9309.png

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Matt5 said:

It’s pretty rough there - I spend some time there over the years and it has its problems with gang violence and shootings - I would not recommend being there after dark.

seems like gentrification is slowly on its way:

https://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/four-shot-outside-nightclub-in-allapattah-7679406

https://www.miamicondoinvestments.com/allapattah/long-ignored-miamis-allapattah-is-being-rediscovered

https://www.bisnow.com/south-florida/news/multifamily/allapattah-west-of-wynwood-93728

Edited by daytona365
  • Like 1

yeah i now understand the indian guy above when he was saying gentrification is a plague. what these speculators think. that Miami is just about a Rolls parked in front of a café in Miami beach, and the sun. Miami greatness is made by its communities. remove this, and you get another tasteless big city. there's nothing more important than Miami communities. every effort should be done to fight gentrification. gentrification is a real big danger. slow, and inaudible, but deadly. it's pretty exasperating, to see that human has to make anything he touches go rotten at some point. this is what i love with actual f.. capitalism actually. profit, then thinking, never the opposite. if i were Elvis i would have sunk the St Vitus right now

and one last thing: the argument that gentrification fights criminality like we can read here, is absolute garbage. according to the map i just posted this is just bull

https://www.themiamihurricane.com/2019/02/04/how-gentrification-is-flourishing-in-miami/

Edited by jpaul1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, airtommy said:

1400 block of Ocean Drive next to the Winterhaven, seen when the old man crosses the road in "No Exit"

noexitoldman.png.78fe697d2f25ccd18103fce0777e9309.png

It's long gone Edgewater Beach Hotel. :)

1 hour ago, Crockettt said:

It's long gone Edgewater Beach Hotel. :)

It's not gone, they just removed the abominable modern facade which had been added to the historic building at some point (geez, what were they thinking...) and restored it to former glory

edgewater.jpg.9c8b1863aff371c38e9430fc55d6f9c7.jpg

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article60903812.html

edgewater_today.thumb.jpg.91c5fc0dd27341bb09f70f920d8c4713.jpg

Edited by daytona365
  • Like 4

south of little haiti has been badly gentrified. it's beautiful, it's clean, but there's no soul. looks like an empty avenue, where the rich come make his shopping, and go away. if they continue that way they are going to kill the city

edit: wynwood has been gentrified a lot too, but i have to admit that the neighborhood has a soul. when you roam its streets, the neighborhood has defintely a soul. maybe it's because of the presence of lot of artists there, who are a category of people one can't buy.? bit sad though for all the 'native' that had to move from there because of the prices risings

Edited by jpaul1
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1