Miami Miscellaneous

miamijimf

5 hours ago, ame99 said:

Anyone knows why there aren't boats in the harbour even though it seemed  quite full in the scenes shot around sonny's boat? 

They could be newly under construction in that photo or being replaced if they were older.  I don’t know the history of that area.  The city I live in, Long Beach CA, started the process of replacing the old wooden docks with more modern fero-cement about 5 years ago.  They’re just finishing up now. There are a couple of thousand slips in two different marinas, Alamitos and Shoreline.  Whole basins were empty for months at a time.  Boat owners had to find new slips for these time periods.  It was a bit of a scramble but the city helped provide alternative locations for most of us.

7 hours ago, ame99 said:

Anyone knows why there aren't boats in the harbour even though it seemed  quite full in the scenes shot around sonny's boat? 

This was between the Summer of 1986-1988. Miami Vice moved the filming around Sonny’s boat to Watson Island as there was major construction at Bayside in the photograph. The show still used Watson Island in Season 5 (“To Have and to Hold”). 

Edited by Matt5

Looking to downtown from the Brickell Avenue bridge, circa 1984. The building left to centre is the DuPont Plaza Hotel (“Freefall”, “Lombard”). Lombard drove this exact route in the Season 1 finale “Lombard” over the Brickell Ave bridge heading towards Brickell.

CEBF5CA4-97DE-43C5-AA89-415CFF4DB4DC.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 3

This one has “Miami Vice” all over it - Downtown and the Miami River circa 1984, the year it all started for us.:cheers:

43565CC1-A59A-4185-9353-A95090338B54.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It looks like the Miami Avenue bridge has been removed and the construction of the new bridge has just started.  You can see a crane on the right side of the river.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, airtommy said:

It looks like the Miami Avenue bridge has been removed and the construction of the new bridge has just started.  You can see a crane on the right side of the river.

I know I saw that too at first I thought it must have been just before 1984 but because the Wachovia building was there it places it exactly in 1984. It’s a great photo.

Edited by Matt5

This was sent to me Today - a really fine photo just one year before Miami Vice, circa 1983. Showing the construction of the SE Financial Centre/ Wachovia building (completed 1984). Just look at Bayside.

A313C1CA-9E1D-4964-91EA-B8DF06C2DF80.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 2

How about this - the Miami skyline circa 1982 from Watson Island (same location as the Opening Credits, “Hit List”, “Whatever Works”, “Leap of Faith” etc etc). Cries out Miami Vice!:):cheers:

40B0A1C0-BEF8-4E07-861D-18854BB4454C.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Matt5 said:

How about this - the Miami skyline circa 1982 from Watson Island (same location as the Opening Credits, “Hit List”, “Whatever Works”, “Leap of Faith” etc etc). Cries out Miami Vice!:):cheers:

40B0A1C0-BEF8-4E07-861D-18854BB4454C.jpeg

Oh, wow! Beautiful!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jpm1 said:

great stuff jim. that one at 2:05 the yacht in the sunset is mindblowing

You're right jpm1 that is a great video.  You might even say it makes the Magic City look magic again.

• Like 1

stop having too clean gardens. this is not good for mother nature

https://wsvn.com/news/special-reports/going-to-bat-conservationists-raise-orphaned-bats-to-combat-mosquito-population/?fbclid=IwAR1v0nb708HxnoqS3cmZEA67iPgjSOpMx5qzAcMRk6WxcSFukCNcs-ix3qs

you can also do like me use a scythe for mowing your grass. it works great, you make exercise, and it's respectful of insects, and small animals like edgehogs

Edited by jpaul1
  • Like 2

The far north end of Ocean Drive at The Betsy Ross Hotel circa 1982. This area was seen in Miami Vice episodes “Asian Cut”, the teaser of “Hard Knocks”, “Theresa”,  “Little Miss Dangerous” and “Dutch Oven”.:glossy::done::happy:

34F191B1-3752-4A88-99C1-F442B9103BD8.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

life in Florida :). btw i just learnt that white pelikans (not below which is brown pelikan) have their breeding season in northen Canada. which is incredible

brown-pelikan-florida-usa-pelecanus-occi

and according to that article, the Floridian pink flamingo is a myth. they say pink flamingos are not Florida natives. and if they are few flamingos in Florida, they're actually escaped from captivity specimens

https://www.thespruce.com/american-flamingo-profile-387143

Edited by jpaul1
  • Like 1

This tower has raised its ugly head again.  From what I read permission has finally been granted for construction to start.  It will be 1,000 ft, not condos but conference center with "thrill rides" on top like a gigantic clear bubble type elevator etc.  Kind of space age Disney World type location.  Too bad.

262345632_100fttower.jpg.0e7c9261d246c56785ce655d32945c5d.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, miamijimf said:

This tower has raised its ugly head again.  From what I read permission has finally been granted for construction to start.  It will be 1,000 ft, not condos but conference center with "thrill rides" on top like a gigantic clear bubble type elevator etc.  Kind of space age Disney World type location.  Too bad.

Disgusting building. Ruins the skyline and general beauty of the city. :thumbsdown:

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jpaul1 said:

and according to that article, the Floridian pink flamingo is a myth. they say pink flamingos are not Florida natives. and if they are few flamingos in Florida, they're actually escaped from captivity specimens

"They" say?  Yeah right, these must be the same experts who think alligators don't like crumb donuts.  :)

nice pic from your link:

flamingo.jpg.386ebbbce9be74d7750f3cb6018ac8ac.jpg

P.S.  I'm just reading the article on Wikipedia and it seems that flamingos were native to Florida but were driven away by settlers.  They might be in the process of reclaiming their habitat in Florida.

Edited by airtommy

56 minutes ago, miamijimf said:

are you sure this is gonna be that bad. i mean there's no residential areas nearby. it will only dominate the harbor, and... condos. who cares. actually it can be good for stopping the condos expansion actually. like saying ok you can buy a condo apartment, but be aware that someday you can have a giant tower nearby dominating you. thus depreciating condos. my 2c..

9 minutes ago, airtommy said:

"They" say?  Yeah right, these must be the same experts who think alligators don't like crumb donuts.  :)

nice pic from your link:

flamingo.jpg.386ebbbce9be74d7750f3cb6018ac8ac.jpg

P.S.  I'm just reading the article on Wikipedia and it seems that flamingos were native to Florida but were driven away by settlers.  They might be in the process of reclaiming their habitat in Florida.

yeah wiki article is interesting, they're saying that they're coming back, but at a slow rate. i believe they are in heaven in Cuba. so no need to move around. i read that Cuba is one of the rare countries where you can still see the nature as it was at the very beginning. but there are other wonderful animals in Florida :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, miamijimf said:

It is terrible Jim - I wonder if the Hard Rock will stay. The car park on that site opposite the marina was all cleared last month I noticed. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, miamijimf said:

Sounds like the Stratosphere in Las Vegas.  I got a chance to ride the roller coaster on top before it was closed and removed. 

40 minutes ago, pahonu said:

Sounds like the Stratosphere in Las Vegas.  I got a chance to ride the roller coaster on top before it was closed and removed. 

Yes me too - but that was cool for Vegas it fitted in with the skyline not in Miami - but we will see I guess.:hippie:

Edited by Matt5