Miami Miscellaneous

miamijimf

On 3/19/2019 at 12:45 PM, Matt5 said:

It’s not as easy as it once was, a few weeks ago I noticed a lot of changes and development with parts of the airport closed.They changed a lot of the security this year for example you go through security checkpoint E and you fly from Concourse E.

OK, it looks like Concourse D is only American Airlines and British Airways. 

https://www.ifly.com/miami-international-airport/airlines-served

There was a hallway connecting D & E, so perhaps Concourse E would work as well.

concoursehall.thumb.jpg.c587c6ff9d57066a7af6099b86e21f85.jpg

https://www.theworldorbust.com/miami-international-airport-hacks/

19 hours ago, airtommy said:

OK, it looks like Concourse D is only American Airlines and British Airways. 

https://www.ifly.com/miami-international-airport/airlines-served

There was a hallway connecting D & E, so perhaps Concourse E would work as well.

concoursehall.thumb.jpg.c587c6ff9d57066a7af6099b86e21f85.jpg

https://www.theworldorbust.com/miami-international-airport-hacks/

There has been some development at Concourse D - I was pleased I saw it in the photos I posted here a few weeks ago they are the most comprehensive photos of Concourse D and the angles we see in “Yankee Dollar” and “Free Verse”. Parts of the airport are also closed currently. The photos I posted in “Yankee Dollar” and “Free Verse” all taken in 2014. 

58D7E9DD-39ED-477C-AA99-EBDCA4F06AE7.jpeg

Edited by Matt5

You don't often get a good view of Fisher Island.  This shot is also a pretty complete view of the skyline, even if it is in the background.  Reachable only by private boat or ferry, needless to say it is very expensive to live there.

D4r7n4OWsAUv1Yr.jpg.62fe4e51a99eb2218d1749d87fd5aba2.jpg

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

In 1988 I took his class on the History of Miami at UM.  He's still doing tours.

• Like 1

Interesting aerial view of Virginia Key, Key Bicayne etc etc.  When you zoom in you see how close Jimbo's was to the treatment plant.  Didn't realize it was that close.  Is this shot from a Boeing 737 Max?

1724029037_737max.thumb.jpg.8afee8acb4b508cf8e3822d84328bb94.jpg

Edited by miamijimf

Some good news for a change, according to what I read the Fairwind (Fairmont during Vice) 1000 Collins Ave has finally been restored after many years as a derelict.  It is seen in Jack of All Trades and Mirror Image.  This is pic shows the bar in one of two restaurants that opened in the Fairwind.  Matt, take some pics if you have time. 

Fairwind.thumb.jpg.12b18dc56f8addb6958bc5b33208e7d4.jpg

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, miamijimf said:

Some good news for a change, according to what I read the Fairwind (Fairmont during Vice) 1000 Collins Ave has finally been restored after many years as a derelict.  It is seen in Jack of All Trades and Mirror Image.  This is pic shows the bar in one of two restaurants that opened in the Fairwind.  Matt, take some pics if you have time. 

Wow, that's beautiful! Thanks!

• Like 1

Good current shot of the Biltmore Hotel's Al Capone Suite seen in Line of Fire as well as in movies and other TV shows.

60087505_10157389871784283_5512193239941120000_n.thumb.jpg.3fe36d0ad0dbfea09ec904cf1d80fa07.jpg

• Like 3

16 hours ago, miamijimf said:

Yes Jim I noticed this when I visited here a few months ago - it was also used for a breakfast scene from the opening credits of “Over The Line” just a few episodes after “Jack of All Trades”.

517CDC35-C20B-42D2-BBD0-128231CF2EE2.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Nice shot at dusk with a look at the Port Bridge to Dodge Island.  The older Port Bridge is visible also, where Cat cried for Jackie in Little Miss Dangerous.

46837809245_05ec160f04_b.thumb.jpg.cbf73d755430cfd6eba30b7a7231793f.jpg

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 4

i'd like to know if Okeechobee grew up a lot since the 80s. in the series it shows a small village, while Google maps clearly shows a town. not a city, but clearly not a village. if anyone has 80s pictures, i'm interested by that. thank you

Edited by jpm1

18 minutes ago, jpm1 said:

i'd like to know if Okeechobee grew up a lot since the 80s. in the series it shows a small village, while Google maps clearly shows a town. not a city, but clearly not a village. if anyone has 80s pictures, i'm interested by that. thank you

I know a guy who grew up there and has probably been back since.  If interested I can give you his facebook page by PM.

• Thanks 1

On 6/3/2019 at 9:16 PM, miamijimf said:

I know a guy who grew up there and has probably been back since.  If interested I can give you his facebook page by PM.

Thanks a lot miamijmf. but i got my answer with Google earth timelapse. like most of Miami, the area was pretty much the same in term of superficie in 84, and nowadays. i believe they filmed a remote area of Ockachobee (or somewhere else)

On 6/3/2019 at 11:41 PM, miamijimf said:

The Cardozo, seen in five Vice episodes, just had a major facelift.  You can even see the dining room in Redemption in Blood.  Gloria Estefan has helped to preserve other important Miami locations.

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/inside-gloria-estefans-renovation-of-miamis-cardozo-south-beach-hotel

Yes Jim I’ve been inside - I don’t like the new restaurant at all they have moved and taken out the wall and stairs we see in “Redemption in Blood” and there is now a circular bar in its place. There are now two stairwells either side of the bar. It has gone from an intimate setting restaurant to a bigger open bar area.

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/5/2019 at 10:23 AM, jpm1 said:

Thanks a lot miamijmf. but i got my answer with Google earth timelapse. like most of Miami, the area was pretty much the same in term of superficie in 84, and nowadays. i believe they filmed a remote area of Ockachobee (or somewhere else)

Are you talking about the episode "Glades"?  The script refers to "Okeechobee Springs", which doesn't exist in real life.  I've heard the episode was based on Everglades City, but I can't remember where I heard that.  And they filmed it in Miami at Jimbo's on Virginia Key.

Edited by airtommy
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, airtommy said:

Are you talking about the episode "Glades"?  The script refers to "Okeechobee Springs", which doesn't exist in real life.  I've heard the episode was based on Everglades City, but I can't remember where I heard that.  And they filmed it in Miami at Jimbo's on Virginia Key.

You most likely heard it from my book.  The episode ‘Glades’ is about backwoods Anglo pot smugglers and how they were squeezed out by foreign coke smugglers.  This really happened.  My supposition is that this was the inspiration for the Glades scenario as well as the recent memory of a large drug bust in Everglades City on July 7, 1983.  Three hundred people were arrested and more than half of Everglades City's fishing boats were seized by two hundred federal agents.

• Like 1

A Nice shot (1950s) of the St. Moritz Hotel looking north on Collins. Featured in “Free Verse” and also seen in “Victims of Circumstance”.  The condo furthest in the picture is still standing and was seen in “Free Verse” behind Hector on the beach as well as “Dutch Oven”.

928F3516-F06A-4F67-A58D-E7D6DA24A1CD.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Matt5 said:

A Nice shot (1950s) of the St. Moritz Hotel looking north on Collins. Featured in “Free Verse” and also seen in “Victims of Circumstance”.  The condo furthest in the picture is still standing and was seen in “Free Verse” behind Hector on the beach as well as “Dutch Oven”.

928F3516-F06A-4F67-A58D-E7D6DA24A1CD.jpeg

Cool shot, thanks.  Cool architecture too.  It's simplicity seems more Art Moderne than Art Deco.

DELICIOUS FOOD SERVED advertising has come a long way!

On 6/9/2019 at 9:55 PM, airtommy said:

ok so they created a fake place, so people do not see Okeechobee real villagers like scums

• Confused 1