Miami Miscellaneous

miamijimf

Last night in South Beach, 14th and Collins (one block from Winterhaven Hotel, half a block from Club Deuce). This was all over the news this morning In Fort Lauderdale. One dead shot 9 times.

Ten days ago there was a multiple death drive by shooting in North Miami also at a gas station.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/miami-beach/article226404295.html

Edited by Matt5

Can one walk onto the old bridge to the Port of Miami?  On Google Street View it looks blocked off but I can't tell if it's just temporary.  It would be nice to take a photo of the skyline as we see it in the opening montage and to stand where Kat screamed in LMD.   The new bridge looks too dangerous to walk on (no real sidewalk).

@miamijimf @Matt5

2 hours ago, airtommy said:

Can one walk onto the old bridge to the Port of Miami?  On Google Street View it looks blocked off but I can't tell if it's just temporary.  It would be nice to take a photo of the skyline as we see it in the opening montage and to stand where Kat screamed in LMD.   The new bridge looks too dangerous to walk on (no real sidewalk).

@miamijimf @Matt5

It would be neat to take a picture from where Cat screamed.  Wish I had thought of it when I was at Bayside in Jan.  The old bridge has been blocked off for a long time but it might be possible to walk around the fence or maybe from the Dodge Island side.  Next trip.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, miamijimf said:

It would be neat to take a picture from where Cat screamed.  Wish I had thought of it when I was at Bayside in Jan.  The old bridge has been blocked off for a long time but it might be possible to walk around the fence or maybe from the Dodge Island side.  Next trip.

If it's fenced off, I won't try it.  The cops might think I'm jumping or blowing something up.

1 minute ago, airtommy said:

If it's fenced off, I won't try it.  The cops might think I'm jumping or blowing something up.

I can shed some light on this as I was there recently - the Port of Miami (old bridge) is partly fenced off and there are signs to keep off and some police around as well as homeless living on the bridge. But the new Port of Miami bridge you can walk on, there is no sidewalk so you have to be careful - but when I went there was minimal traffic and a cop just told me to be careful. You get the view of the skyline we see at the end of the opening credits just a little higher as it’s over the Dodge island area. But then you get a shot of the Dodge island area (Whatever Works, Golden Triangle, Leap of Faith) and the opening credit shot all in one shot.

One thing to consider walking over the new bridge is traffic will depend on the cruises in/out at that time of day, I got lucky I suppose as traffic seemed quite minimal.

• Like 2

@airtommy @miamijimf @Tom @Dadrian And any others , I’m interested to know if you had a few days  to visit 5 MV locations which would you visit? I’m talking about new locations discovered since you were in Miami last (for example the 2 “Love at First Sight” date houses discovered recently) or a difficult to access location you’ve known about but didn’t think you could access (eg Jockey Club by the water seen in “Prodigal Son”, “World of Trouble”, “Made For Each Other”).

Im interested in your views, thanks.

Edited by Matt5

1 hour ago, Matt5 said:

And any others , I’m interested to know if you had a few days  to visit 5 MV locations which would you visit? I’m talking about new locations discovered since you were in Miami last (for example the 2 “Love at First Sight” date houses discovered recently) or a difficult to access location you’ve known about but didn’t think you could access (eg Jockey Club by the water seen in “Prodigal Son”, “World of Trouble”, “Made For Each Other”).

Tough to say.  The two locations I assume I'll never see are Anchorage Way and Quayside.  There's the Olympia Theater in "Freefall".  Dale Menton's apartment in "Golden Triangle" on Brickell Key.

• Like 1

vor 5 Stunden schrieb Matt5:

@airtommy @miamijimf @Tom @Dadrian And any others , I’m interested to know if you had a few days  to visit 5 MV locations which would you visit? I’m talking about new locations discovered since you were in Miami last (for example the 2 “Love at First Sight” date houses discovered recently) or a difficult to access location you’ve known about but didn’t think you could access (eg Jockey Club by the water seen in “Prodigal Son”, “World of Trouble”, “Made For Each Other”).

Good question. I would visit the Love at first sight houses, the Baines villa in Leap of Faith, the Bayview Motel site in Asian Cut, the Cover house in Fruit of the Poison tree and teaser house in Home Invaders in South Miami.

• Like 1

The exact filming spot, Turnberry Isle Marina in Aventura,  in Golden Triangle that Matt found on the ground.   Also the Bayview Hotel in Asian Cut that airtommy found.  Those are the ones that would interest me the most at the moment.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, miamijimf said:

The exact filming spot, Turnberry Isle Marina in Aventura,  in Golden Triangle that Matt found on the ground.   Also the Bayview Hotel in Asian Cut that airtommy found.  Those are the ones that would interest me the most at the moment.

Thankyou Jim but there’s only a wall left of the hotel seen in “Asian Cut”.

Turnberry Isle Marina is a very important Miami Vice location I always find and featured heavily.

What MV houses are there way south, like beyond Coconut Grove, and not on the water?  All I can think of:

1. Pinecrest house from Mirror Image / World of Trouble
  2. Glenvar house from Dutch Oven / Whatever Works
  3. two houses from Love At First Sight

3 hours ago, airtommy said:

What MV houses are there way south, like beyond Coconut Grove, and not on the water?  All I can think of:

What about Captain Real Estate’s property from “Back in the World”.

There are many more but most on the water (“Bought and Paid For”, “Like a Hurricane” etc).

Edited by Matt5

I think Matt is referencing Cpt. Real Estate's (Maynard's) house at 625 Leucadendra Drive, Coral Gables.  But in the same episode there is another Southern house:  A house on Linderman Key, just north of Key Largo. The land where Crockett and Tubbs chase Maynard and Hmung.  You could say it is next to water so I'm not sure it qualifies.  This Key has an interesting history, see CGlide's site.

Yes, the Leucadendra house is on the water.  There are a ton of those. 

The Bad Timing house is a good one I forgot.

I had it in my head that Don King's house in Down For the Count was in Pinecrest, but looking at CGlide's page it says Sunset Island.

4 hours ago, airtommy said:

Yes, the Leucadendra house is on the water.  There are a ton of those. 

The Bad Timing house is a good one I forgot.

I had it in my head that Don King's house in Down For the Count was in Pinecrest, but looking at CGlide's page it says Sunset Island.

2 houses on Hardie for Season 5s “Bad Timing” , Don King’s house was also Guzman’s as Im sure you know.

• Like 1

Happy 174th Birthday Florida! Florida became the twenty-seventh state in the United States on March 3, 1845.   First Florida State flag.

265277554_1stFlastateflag3Mar184527thState.jpg.c9b80f558d886c365a97858d4844fdbf.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, miamijimf said:

Happy 174th Birthday Florida! Florida became the twenty-seventh state in the United States on March 3, 1845.   First Florida State flag.

265277554_1stFlastateflag3Mar184527thState.jpg.c9b80f558d886c365a97858d4844fdbf.jpg

Great Jim.

The massive and ugly high-rises compared with the Freedom Tower give you an idea of how much Miami has changed since the 80s.  Only rated as the 2d fastest growing big city in America.  Hard to believe it's not no. 1.

D069j9DXgAEUXd0.jpg.b3fd45fb42febbea83675f8ed1df98e3.jpg

I watched “Body Heat” (1981 film) last night. There were a few scenes in Miami. The skyline was almost unrecognizable except for the Freedom Tower. 

• Like 1

On 2/28/2019 at 1:09 PM, airtommy said:

On 2/28/2019 at 5:22 PM, Matt5 said:

The houses on Hardie Avenue from “Bad Timing” also. 

I just remembered the other one that I was trying to think of:  the judge's house in Pinecrest in "The Fix".

36 minutes ago, airtommy said:

I just remembered the other one that I was trying to think of:  the judge's house in Pinecrest in "The Fix".

Of course also featured in “Baby Blues”.

• Like 1