Miami Miscellaneous

miamijimf

4 hours ago, pahonu said:

Cool!  I love learning about that kind of stuff.  I always look at old photos and maps of Long Beach, where I live, to see the changes along the coast and inland.  My wife doesn't understand why I find it so interesting.  LOL!   We currently live in marina that was once wetlands.  :(  It's an all too common story.

Me too!  Hurricane Michael just created some new islands at Cape San Blas:

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/weather/hurricane/article219917350.html

Miami Vice featured NYC for the Pilot, Prodigal Son, Better Living Through Chemistry, Heroes of the Revolution and Too Much, Too Late. Filming exclusively and extensively in 1984 and 1985 for the Pilot and Prodigal Son. Here is a shot we see similarly in Better Living Through Chemistry of Mid Town.

DC36D58B-59BB-4222-9810-0967FFB140BC.jpeg

• Like 3

A nice shot I was sent Today , Aerial over Miami Beach / 5th and 6th Street blocks Ocean Drive, 1960s. ( far right -The Park Central ).:cheers::hippie:

986B740A-06DB-4FD6-845B-C3F6F1AAAB45.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 5

A shot of the Brooklyn Bridge we see in “Prodigal Son” however in this episode we saw the background of the Manhattan Bridge. Photo courtesy- Hilton International.

92B7914D-C91A-4E74-81C7-B2A10322E388.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

This was sent to me Today- Looking north on Collins up to 21st Street, Miami Beach (late 1950s) - episode upon episode And scenes shot on this stretch.:hippie:

A2D22D6E-23DB-450E-A0BE-DD6A35B3ABE0.jpeg

• Like 3

I love these old pictures!  I think I've identified two of the buildings we frequently saw during the night-time street scenes:

• red = Greystone Hotel (next door to Gino's Italian Garden Restaurant)
  • blue = Wolfies diner

20thcollins.thumb.jpeg.11e87f0ee83bba5a739b625e6e2c70d2.jpeg

• Like 3

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 6:39 AM, Matt5 said:

Miami Vice featured NYC for the Pilot, Prodigal Son, Better Living Through Chemistry, Heroes of the Revolution and Too Much, Too Late. Filming exclusively and extensively in 1984 and 1985 for the Pilot and Prodigal Son. Here is a shot we see similarly in Better Living Through Chemistry of Mid Town.

DC36D58B-59BB-4222-9810-0967FFB140BC.jpeg

That shot is looking west at the Chrysler Building and Empire State, from the direction of Midtown East.  The UN Headquarters is located there.

3 hours ago, pahonu said:

That shot is looking west at the Chrysler Building and Empire State, from the direction of Midtown East.  The UN Headquarters is located there.

Yes it’s a wonderful shot and colors, we see a similar Mid-town shot,  but across the East River from Queens/ Roosevelt Is. in “Prodigal Son”. 

8 hours ago, Matt5 said:

Yes it’s a wonderful shot and colors, we see a similar Mid-town shot,  but across the East River from Queens/ Roosevelt Is. in “Prodigal Son”. 

Nice!  That's quite a zoom then.  The UN Tower would be just to the left, out of the shot, right?  Is it from one of the skyscrapers on Roosevelt Island?  There aren't too many in that part of Queens by Queensbridge Park.

4 hours ago, pahonu said:

Nice!  That's quite a zoom then.  The UN Tower would be just to the left, out of the shot, right?  Is it from one of the skyscrapers on Roosevelt Island?  There aren't too many in that part of Queens by Queensbridge Park.

Yes the UN building is just out of shot - with the camera on 1st or 2nd Ave - I’ve done an overview in the first photo and then the second photo is the main buildings we see around the Chrysler building (circled in purple, the building we see circled green is the rooftop meeting from “Prodigal Son”).

B44AB4F1-62DA-4C9C-9B08-938E955F81C2.jpeg

55A3FEC2-1D95-4D69-A4DC-7C77778B4FE6.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Matt5 said:

Yes the UN building is just out of shot - with the camera on 1st or 2nd Ave - I’ve done an overview in the first photo and then the second photo is the main buildings we see around the Chrysler building (circled in purple, the building we see circled green is the rooftop meeting from “Prodigal Son”).

B44AB4F1-62DA-4C9C-9B08-938E955F81C2.jpeg

55A3FEC2-1D95-4D69-A4DC-7C77778B4FE6.jpeg

Cool, thanks!

Jacksonville, Florida way up north at the very top of the state has a “Miami Vice” look about it at night time, these were sent to me Today. :hippie::cheers:

BC8D6449-C090-49EF-BB2C-E64922B1184C.jpeg

1D815E7D-A583-4FC9-B639-01BFB5F1BA5E.jpeg

• Like 2

Very interesting.  I would bet that other cities got the idea of using multicolored lights to beautify their skylines from Vice.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, miamijimf said:

Very interesting.  I would bet that other cities got the idea of using multicolored lights to beautify their skylines from Vice.

Yes indeed Jim - Jacksonville is beautiful.

Interesting story about the origin of Claughton Island that became loaded with rises and called Brickell Key.  Seen in Vice's Smuggler's Blues etc.

"This is a view of the Brickell House/Trading Post,Post Office at the Mouth of the Miami River as seen from Henry Flagler's Royal Palm Hotel. from what I understand the Brickells didn't want to give up their land like Julia Tuttle did to Flagler and he was harassing the Brickells to the point that one day Flagler was trying to get the land and William Brickell told Flagler that I don't need your money. out of spite, Flagler dredged up the Miami River and built spoil islands and ruined the beautiful view of the Biscayne Bay that the Brickells had. William Brickell never went across the Miami River to Miami after that. In 1896, Henry Flagler organized a 9-foot deep channel dug from the Miami River mouth, creating two islands in the process. In 1943, Edward N. Claughton, Sr. bought the Brickell Key islands and other land to combine them into a 44-acre triangle-shaped tract known as Claughton Island, Burlingame Island and Brickell Island. Notice the Pit Pan on the right in the Miami River.  Image Courtesy of Ron Clark"

40613217_1757296397702315_4189758116419600384_n.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, miamijimf said:

Interesting story about the origin of Claughton Island that became loaded with rises and called Brickell Key.  Seen in Vice's Smuggler's Blues etc.

"This is a view of the Brickell House/Trading Post,Post Office at the Mouth of the Miami River as seen from Henry Flagler's Royal Palm Hotel. from what I understand the Brickells didn't want to give up their land like Julia Tuttle did to Flagler and he was harassing the Brickells to the point that one day Flagler was trying to get the land and William Brickell told Flagler that I don't need your money. out of spite, Flagler dredged up the Miami River and built spoil islands and ruined the beautiful view of the Biscayne Bay that the Brickells had. William Brickell never went across the Miami River to Miami after that. In 1896, Henry Flagler organized a 9-foot deep channel dug from the Miami River mouth, creating two islands in the process. In 1943, Edward N. Claughton, Sr. bought the Brickell Key islands and other land to combine them into a 44-acre triangle-shaped tract known as Claughton Island, Burlingame Island and Brickell Island. Notice the Pit Pan on the right in the Miami River.  Image Courtesy of Ron Clark"

40613217_1757296397702315_4189758116419600384_n.jpg

Great work, Jim.

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 5:17 PM, Matt5 said:

This was sent to me Today- Looking north on Collins up to 21st Street, Miami Beach (late 1950s) - episode upon episode And scenes shot on this stretch.:hippie:

A2D22D6E-23DB-450E-A0BE-DD6A35B3ABE0.jpeg

Really interesting shot. Amazing time capsule.

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 3:25 PM, Matt5 said:

Jacksonville, Florida way up north at the very top of the state has a “Miami Vice” look about it at night time, these were sent to me Today. :hippie::cheers:

BC8D6449-C090-49EF-BB2C-E64922B1184C.jpeg

1D815E7D-A583-4FC9-B639-01BFB5F1BA5E.jpeg

We see a very similar view in Burn Notice

• Like 1