Miami Miscellaneous

miamijimf

On 9/23/2018 at 6:38 PM, jpm1 said:

yeah, thanks. for me the Mediterranean sea is the most beautiful place on earth

I agree jpm - just beautiful in the South of France.:hippie:

This was sent to me in the last few days just over Brickell Bay Drive looking to Brickell Key.

An interesting current day view over 1001 Brickell Bay Dr (“World of Trouble”, “Yankee Dollar”) and the Four Ambassadors buildings (“Trust Fund Pirates”)  to Brickell Key Bridge (“Smugglers Blues, “Fruit of the Poison Tree”, “Red Tape”)

6E5393E3-8556-4E36-A27A-B585C5F0A251.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 2

A nice sharp and clear current day view from the water of The Carillion Hotel (“One Eyed Jack”, “Buddies”) In North Beach. Far right is the 74th Street Tower which replaced the Blue Waters Hotel (“The Maze”, “French Twist”, “Definately Miami”).

C3B149AD-49E2-477B-89D1-5D8FCBCA5F23.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 2

This was sent to me, an early 1980s photo of the A1A/ Las Olas Bvld looking north in Fort Lauderdale (we see the south shot in Season 2s “Whatever Works”).:hippie:

3E04E8BA-FDDB-4506-9B7C-E6A2830028F6.jpeg

• Like 5

I read this today a nice piece from the Miami Herald from 2015 on 100 years in Miami Beach.

Good article covers the history and threat of future sea levels amongst other things.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/miami-beach/article15798998.html

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 3

The pollution and red tide has devastated the west coast of Florida now has been affecting Fort Lauderdale, Pompano and Haulover. Here are two articles,

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/10/04/us/red-tide-florida-east-atlantic-coast-trnd/index.html

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/amp.miamiherald.com/news/local/environment/article219477125.html

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/2/2018 at 2:24 PM, Matt5 said:

I read this today a nice piece from the Miami Herald from 2015 on 100 years in Miami Beach.

Good article covers the history and threat of future sea levels amongst other things.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/miami-beach/article15798998.html

@miamijimf

"In 1980, refugees from the Mariel boatlift, some of them hardened criminals, flooded South Beach."

Is this true?  I had always assumed they were all on the mainland.

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 1

@summer84 posted this and I was looking at this behind the scenes picture from 1985s “Dutch Oven” from Season 2. At first I thought it was Bay Harbor Islands where they shot Trudy’s Walk but couldn’t match it up... what y’all think about the location of this one?

5CFE25E1-646B-40F5-992D-DC7072FBA3F0.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Matt5 said:

I was looking at this behind the scenes picture from 1985s “Dutch Oven”

Pretty sure that’s one of Crockett’s costumes from that episode, particularly while he is driving Trudy back from the IA interrogation. 

• Like 1

It is from the episode "The Dutch Oven" which was filmed not long after "Lombard" in Season 1, but aired in S2. Could it be maybe around the Biscayne Boulevard area, where the driving itself took place. I looked at CGlide's location page and thought maybe that could give a hint.

Edited by summer84

On 10/6/2018 at 8:58 PM, airtommy said:

@miamijimf

"In 1980, refugees from the Mariel boatlift, some of them hardened criminals, flooded South Beach."

Is this true?  I had always assumed they were all on the mainland.

l

Partially true.  This is from my book:  "Many Marielitos were housed on South Beach where, at the time, inexpensive housing was available.  Hotel owner Peter Sobel was an eyewitness to a brutal killing in his hotel lobby.  Many who lived through those times consider it the worst crisis in Beach history. "  Somewhere in my notes I've got a copy of the article about Sobel's experience.

• Like 2

On 10/6/2018 at 10:25 PM, jpm1 said:

Miami beach before Miami vice was a criminals nest. especially south beach

Not nearly that many criminals.  If you don't count my friends and I, of course.  It got worse for a while after SoBe was used to house some Cuban refugees in 1980.  Most were good folks but just like you see in Scarface there were criminals as well.

Edited by miamijimf

8 hours ago, Dadrian said:

Pretty sure that’s one of Crockett’s costumes from that episode, particularly while he is driving Trudy back from the IA interrogation. 

I just skimmed through the ep and you're right.  The only scenes in which Crockett wears this outfit are the card game, the interrogation, and the drive with Trudy.  This shot is definitely not Ocean Drive, so it can't be the card game.  I agree with Matt5 that it looks a lot like 96th St where Trudy goes for her walk, but the yellow line in the middle of the road rules that out.

This must be unused footage from the Crockett & Trudy drive or a deleted scene.  The background seems familiar, but that's probably just my imagination.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1