Miami Miscellaneous

miamijimf

Ocean Drive, 1960s - similar view we see in 1987s “Viking Bikers From Hell”.:hippie:

20734761-5C20-4577-B21A-4A76D1E11308.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, Matt5 said:

Ocean Drive, 1960s - similar view we see in 1987s “Viking Bikers From Hell”.:hippie:

20734761-5C20-4577-B21A-4A76D1E11308.jpeg

Great shot nobody dresses like that now on Ocean, empty, and before the pastel craze.

This site is about the Lincoln Memorial Park Cemetery in Miami where the gunfight at the end of El Viejo was filmed.  The partly above ground concrete tombs, like you also see in Tale of the Goat, are Bahamian style.  They are most likely intended to keep hurricanes and storms from dislodging the graves.  The neglect is shameful and tragic but you are beginning to see citizen groups around the country trying to clean up cemeteries like this one. 

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article215562635.html

• Like 2

13 hours ago, miamijimf said:

This site is about the Lincoln Memorial Park Cemetery in Miami where the gunfight at the end of El Viejo was filmed.  The partly above ground concrete tombs, like you also see in Tale of the Goat, are Bahamian style.  They are most likely intended to keep hurricanes and storms from dislodging the graves.  The neglect is shameful and tragic but you are beginning to see citizen groups around the country trying to clean up cemeteries like this one. 

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article215562635.html

Great article - I visited this site in 2014. Thanks Jim.

On 7/31/2018 at 3:06 PM, miamijimf said:

Great shot nobody dresses like that now on Ocean, empty, and before the pastel craze.

Doesn’t it look fantastic! 

A great current day shot over Belle Isle/Dade Bvld of “Lend Me An Ear” territory here (and of course many others):hippie:

D215D552-38E9-4DB5-B369-B4247CA325E5.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 3

On 8/1/2018 at 10:45 AM, Matt5 said:

Great article - I visited this site in 2014. Thanks Jim.

Ref the Lincoln Memorial Park Cemetery - I think segregated burials are a thing of the past.  If there is one thing that shows all humans are alike it's death.

• Like 1

Am 31.7.2018 um 16:06 schrieb miamijimf:

I sometimes wish I could go back and experience Ocean Drive and Miami Beach just before Miami Vice or at least  in MV's early days. It's great that it's apparently so buzzing with activity nowadays, but I'm sure it had its own kind of charm as a forgotten, tranquil beachfront community way past its heyday.

Edited by Daytona74

Espanola Way in "Cool Runnin".  It looks rather ugly to me.

espanola1.png

And here it is today.  It looks so much better in pink.

espanola2.png

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, airtommy said:

espanola1.png

espanola2.png

Great photos.

Edited by Matt5

4 hours ago, Daytona74 said:

I sometimes wish I could go back and experience Ocean Drive and Miami Beach just before Miami Vice or at least  in MV's early days. It's great that it's apparently so buzzing with activity nowadays, but I'm sure it had its own kind of charm as a forgotten, tranquil beachfront community way past its heyday.

Totally agree - December 1983! I posted a few pictures here of Ocean Drive then looked amazing!

On 8/2/2018 at 4:06 PM, miamijimf said:

Ref the Lincoln Memorial Park Cemetery - I think segregated burials are a thing of the past.  If there is one thing that shows all humans are alike it's death.

Definately Jim. When I visited this location it was 2014.

11 hours ago, airtommy said:

Thankyou for this!

1 hour ago, airtommy said:

espanola1.png

espanola2.png

Espanola Way , looking West 1945

FE4263F3-8C66-4F93-8BE2-2FD9DA76C198.jpeg

And Espanola Way, 1980 looking West again. This was opposite The Clay and seen in “Cool Runnin’”. I like this angle looking to this side of the street- of course The Cameo Hotel was also opposite the Cameo Theatre on Washington.

9D67B6AB-337B-4F7E-9559-3282C6577FFF.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 5

12 hours ago, airtommy said:

Excellent video.

4 hours ago, miamijimf said:

Brief summary of Beach history entitled: 100 Years: The Dark and Dirty History of Miami Beach. https://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/100-years-the-dark-and-dirty-history-of-miami-beach-7552169  It does not give enough credit to Vice.

Miami Beach tourism hit a high point in the '50s and thrived well into the '60s, but a couple of factors contributed to Miami Beach's downward spiral in the '70s:

• Disney World opened in Orlando in 1971, siphoning away tourists. Thanks a lot, Mickey. 
  • The image of the Beach became too prepackaged, too cheesy. It soon fell out of favor with tourists. (Hope that doesn't happen again anytime soon. Come buy H&M clothes on Lincoln Road and spend $200 on a bottle at a club that plays horrible EDM, visitors!). 
  • Air travel became more popular and obtainable, and tourists opted for the Caribbean instead. 

I really never knew about either of these factors in the decline of South Beach.  I'm too young to remember the era before plane travel was routine, so that never occurred to me. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, airtommy said:

I really never knew about either of these factors in the decline of South Beach.  I'm too young to remember the era before plane travel was routine, so that never occurred to me. 

In my book I cite air travel and Disney world as among the reasons for the decline.

Edited by miamijimf

13 minutes ago, miamijimf said:

In my book I cite air travel and Disney world as among the reasons for the decline.

Wow, I totally forgot that! 

Les Violins Supper Club

In Cool Runnin' the Daytona does a U-turn right in the middle of the road and we get a great look at the Les Violins Supper Club.  The interior of this club was used in Miracle Man.  It was located at 1751 Biscayne Boulevard.  The building was demolished years ago.

lesviolins1.png

"Bought and remodeled by Lalito Castro and Manolo Godinez, this restaurant hired in the 1960s many Cuban stars whose first job in exile was as singing waiter or waitress in this "let-it-all-hang-out Las Vegas-style review from Havana in the old days". It was bombed by a tear gas canister on May 26, 1968 by Cuban Power, an anti-Castro terrorist group also known as El Poder Cubano, led by Dr. Orlando Bosch.  HBO Hispanic comedy show, Mambo Jambo, shot its pilot show here in 1992."

http://ctda.library.miami.edu/venue/1293

"Les Violins has violinists strolling among the tables. It is rated by Cubans themselves as one of the finer clubs here."

https://www.nytimes.com/1964/03/15/archives/miami-with-a-latin-flavor-cuban-refugees-lend-spanish-atmosphere-to.html

lesviolins2.png

lesviolins3.png

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, airtommy said:

Les Violins Supper Club

In Cool Runnin' the Daytona does a U-turn right in the middle of the road and we get a great look at the Les Violins Supper Club.  The interior of this club was used for scenes in Give a Little, Take a Little and Miracle Man.  It was located at 1751 Biscayne Boulevard.  The building was demolished years ago.

lesviolins1.png

"Bought and remodeled by Lalito Castro and Manolo Godinez, this restaurant hired in the 1960s many Cuban stars whose first job in exile was as singing waiter or waitress in this "let-it-all-hang-out Las Vegas-style review from Havana in the old days". It was bombed by a tear gas canister on May 26, 1968 by Cuban Power, an anti-Castro terrorist group also known as El Poder Cubano, led by Dr. Orlando Bosch.  HBO Hispanic comedy show, Mambo Jambo, shot its pilot show here in 1992."

http://ctda.library.miami.edu/venue/1293

"Les Violins has violinists strolling among the tables. It is rated by Cubans themselves as one of the finer clubs here."

https://www.nytimes.com/1964/03/15/archives/miami-with-a-latin-flavor-cuban-refugees-lend-spanish-atmosphere-to.html

lesviolins2.png

lesviolins3.png

Always loved that scene in Little Havana! Another gem lost. I see it’s just an empty lot now used for parking.