Miami Miscellaneous

miamijimf

Today in Seminole War History 23 July 1836 - Seminole Indians attack and burn the Cape Florida lighthouse.  It was restored and now is the oldest standing structure originally built in South Florida.  In Vice's Hit List, Hostile Takeover, and Redemption in Blood.

Today in Seminole War History 23 July 1836 - Spanish Indians attack and burn the Cape Florida lighthouse..jpg

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, ZAQ 178 said:

That’s the one on Key Biscayne right? My photo from last month.

4B5EE852-731D-4354-AB6F-0FB3FB1D37B4.jpeg

Yes that’s the one in Jim’s photo.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ZAQ 178 said:

These are all the plaques on Key Biscayne telling the story of this beautiful place!

9F25CEFD-244E-41A3-9B73-02D9682D50FD.jpeg

C79EEEF0-3ED0-4CBC-B4CC-0EC2E2A5D0F9.jpeg

26FD6F5D-EC32-4FD9-9D30-FF2702D6C53B.jpeg

DBD72A33-0A6B-45B9-B52D-8B24F2D0A716.jpeg

EA68BBC9-4495-467A-A1E0-BF855588CCC4.jpeg

439145DC-67B1-43A2-AEE3-42FAEFDC8165.jpeg

520DBE3E-64F3-4780-B8DB-A2D85688C2D0.jpeg

A6DE32B5-0001-45FA-8A01-236E97F088B5.jpeg

16696749-FD7D-46FB-9FDE-B8A3A323CD6F.jpeg

E244A81B-4D75-4B71-A29C-ACA36D3BA547.jpeg

6EACC08E-9AB3-4DF4-9939-A4D11436E8DD.jpeg

Very nice, Thankyou for sharing. That small cottage was also seen as the “Great  El Gato’s” house in Season 5s Reddmption Im Blood ( as well as the lighthouse).

Edited by Matt5
  • Thanks 1

Florida Flamingos just hangin’ around wondering if they’re going to be needed for a reboot anytime soon?!:)

AD1AF520-2C0F-40CE-8D0E-4D71515B39F7.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

This was sent to me a day or two ago -a current day aerial view above Downtown looking to the Rickenbacker Cswy and Key Biscayne. The I-95 (south) is also very prominent. On the far right of the picture it ends at Villa Vizcaya and Mercy Hospital. Quite a few locations in this picture!

1AED8092-FC42-4E5A-AE39-8AC5D9619FBC.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We lost a previous discussion about two music videos for the group "No Mercy" filmed in South Beach.  For the song "Missing" I can't find the video on Youtube.  Somebody had posted it for us on another website.  If anybody still has that link, please post it.

Two known locations:

• top of the 17th Street parking deck looking ESE
  • driving on MacArthur Causeway with the Port of Miami in the background

Some unknown locations from that video:

NoMercy2.png

He's facing the house, so that building with the blue balconies is near the house:

NoMercy4.png

This alley feels like the South of 5th St area (Red Tape turf) but I can't find it:

NoMercy3.png

Edited by airtommy

We see plenty of South Beach in the video "Where Do You Go":

• the taxi is driving on MacArthur Causeway
  • the convertible is cruising north on Ocean Drive
    • 0:30 - Bentley, Fritz, Barbizon 500 block
    • 0:38 - Heathcote Apartments 600 block
    • 0:43 - Breakwater 900 block
    • 3:07 - Starlight Hotel & News Cafe at 8th Street
  • the rooftop scenes were filmed on top of the Marlin (or its neighbor) at 12th & Collins.  The main building in the background is the Victor Hotel

I have no idea where this courtyard is:

NoMercy1.png

• Like 2

a brief history of Espanola Way and the Clay Hotel:

https://www.southbeachmagazine.com/espanola-way/

including this snippet about Miami Vice:

" ... Linda Polansky’s radical idea to give the Clay Hotel a peach hue occurred at nearly the same time Mel Bourne happened to the area. As the production designer of the new show Miami Vice, Bourne showed an intense interest in Espanola Way. After scouting the area, Bourne returned with Michael Mann and Don Johnson. The team sat down with Polansky and told her about their idea. “They explained to me what Miami Vice was going to be. At the time I wanted to paint my building peach and since Bourne was the set designer, I asked if there were some peach colors he would like to recommend,” Polansky exclaims. “He gave me a book with 1,000 different colors of peach!” Soon afterward, the group quickly became friends and Espanola Way became the site of the first and last episodes of the show, as well as 10 episodes in between ..."

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, airtommy said:

a brief history of Espanola Way and the Clay Hotel:

https://www.southbeachmagazine.com/espanola-way/

including this snippet about Miami Vice:

" ... Polansky’s radical idea to give the Clay Hotel a peach hue occurred at nearly the same time Mel Bourne happened to the area. As the production designer of the new show Miami Vice, Bourne showed an intense interest in Espanola Way. After scouting the area, Bourne returned with Michael Mann and Don Johnson. The team sat down with Polansky and told her about their idea. “They explained to me what Miami Vice was going to be. At the time I wanted to paint my building peach and since Bourne was the set designer, I asked if there were some peach colors he would like to recommend,” Polansky exclaims. “He gave me a book with 1,000 different colors of peach!” Soon afterward, the group quickly became friends and Espanola Way became the site of the first and last episodes of the show, as well as 10 episodes in between ..."

Really nice piece - now we have to name the 10 episodes in between.... I’ll start is off with “Cool Runnin’”.:hippie:

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 2

Miami Skyline, February 1981 looking North on Brickell with Dupont Plaza Hotel in right background.

A3617626-26C4-467B-9E8D-F81B40EBA41E.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Matt5 said:

Really nice piece - now we have to name the 10 episodes in between.... I’ll start is off with “Cool Runnin’”.:hippie:

"Give a Little, Take a Little" (G&T shopping, C&T walk)

"Bushido" (Gretsky photos)

"Everybody's in Showbiz"

13 minutes ago, airtommy said:

"Give a Little, Take a Little" (G&T shopping, C&T walk)

"Bushido" (Gretsky photos)

"Everybody's in Showbiz"

Yup that gives up 4, I’ll throw in a 5th Season 5s “Borrasca” which featured The Clay in the teaser and opening credits.

For fans of Miami Beach and Art Deco I found an interesting Miami Beach architectural guide.  It contains info about 1,834 places and 6,967 photos. You can look up Vice sites that still exist.  It's got a lot of features and it takes a while to learn how to use it.   I was interested in finding more about the Chase Federal Savings and Loan at 1100 Lincoln Rd.  It appears twice in Season One’s Calderone’s Return (Hit List) drive-by scene from 26:38 to 26:40 and later in the background of a scene from 26:48 to 28:06.  Typing in 1100 Lincoln Road in the search box revealed a number of pics when I clicked on a pic I got the history, style etc.

For some reason I can't get the link to work but if you type in this address into the web address bar at the top of your browser it will come up.

https://www.ruskinarc.com/mdpl/all

• Like 3

15 hours ago, miamijimf said:

For fans of Miami Beach and Art Deco I found an interesting Miami Beach architectural guide.  It contains info about 1,834 places and 6,967 photos. You can look up Vice sites that still exist.  It's got a lot of features and it takes a while to learn how to use it.   I was interested in finding more about the Chase Federal Savings and Loan at 1100 Lincoln Rd.  It appears twice in Season One’s Calderone’s Return (Hit List) drive-by scene from 26:38 to 26:40 and later in the background of a scene from 26:48 to 28:06.  Typing in 1100 Lincoln Road in the search box revealed a number of pics when I clicked on a pic I got the history, style etc.

For some reason I can't get the link to work but if you type in this address into the web address bar at the top of your browser it will come up.

That's awesome1  Thanks Jim.

17 hours ago, miamijimf said:

A great post Jim - yes I’m familiar with that building it’s eye-noticing. Very nice building.

Espanola Way became the site of the first and last episodes of the show, as well as 10 episodes in between

@miamijimf

@Matt5

So we came up with:

S1 - Brother's Keeper, Cool Runnin, Give a Little Take a Little, Milk Run

S2 - Bushido

S3 - The Good Collar, Everybody's in Showbiz

S4 - Borrasca, Miami Squeeze, Miracle Man, Freefall

Good work gang!  I searched CGlide's site and came up with the same results.

So it's only 9 episodes plus the pilot & finale.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, airtommy said:

@miamijimf

@Matt5

So we came up with:

S1 - Brother's Keeper, Cool Runnin, Give a Little Take a Little, Milk Run

S2 - Bushido

S3 - The Good Collar, Everybody's in Showbiz

S4 - Borrasca, Miami Squeeze, Miracle Man, Freefall

Good work gang!  I searched CGlide's site and came up with the same results.

So it's only 9 episodes plus the pilot & finale.

That’s great - so 9 episodes in between. They shot there a lot but never in Season 4!

Let’s do another location in this manner which was used a lot in the series run from 1984-89.

Jose Marti Park - I’ll start us off with S1s “Hit List”, “Little Prince” & “Rites of Passage”.

1 hour ago, Matt5 said:

Let’s do another location in this manner which was used a lot in the series run from 1984-89.

Jose Marti Park - I’ll start us off with S1s “Hit List”, “Little Prince” & “Rites of Passage”.

end of French Twist

2 hours ago, Matt5 said:

1 hour ago, airtommy said:

end of French Twist

Tubbs’ footchase in “Badge of Dishonor”

23 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

Tubbs’ footchase in “Badge of Dishonor”

Great guys I’ll throw in Season 4s “ Cows of October”.

On 7/30/2018 at 12:27 AM, miamijimf said:

No Exit and I think all have been posted.

Yes Jim I’ll summarise.