Miami Miscellaneous

miamijimf

8 minutes ago, Matt5 said:

It was done by Miami Heat and NBC Universal to promote the new Miami Vice series from producer Vin Diesel coming in 2020.:xmas:

Yeah it apparently will. It was originally scheduled for the 2018/2019 TV season. 

4 minutes ago, summer84 said:

Yeah it apparently will. It was originally scheduled for the 2018/2019 TV season. 

I think they are trying to get it right - and by look of the trailer and linking it into the Miami Vice 1984 pilot episode they are trying to be faithful to our show.:xmas:

• Like 1

A different angle for us , which was sent to me overlooking Bayside from Biscayne Bvld out to the Port of Miami. A current day sunrise shot. Happy New Year everyone here!:xmas::tasse_prost:

4F18F796-1B7F-4F59-B7D7-121E736DF44F.jpeg

• Like 2

Very nice Matt.  Since you brought up Bayfront Park:  Here is another good history of the park by my old college prof., Dr. George. http://www.bayfrontparkmiami.com/ParkHistory.html

Also the park has a little known memorial to Dade County residents who gave their lives for their country during WWII.  My father's name, Charles Staubach, is one of 553 names inscribed on both sides of that monument.  That's a lot of folks for a relatively small town that Miami was in those days.  Here is a screen cap from Bing Maps that shows where on the park it is located as well as a photo of the monument.

big view.JPG

ww2 monument2.jpg

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, miamijimf said:

Very nice Matt.  Since you brought up Bayfront Park:  Here is another good history of the park by my old college prof., Dr. George. http://www.bayfrontparkmiami.com/ParkHistory.html

Also the park has a little known memorial to Dade County residents who gave their lives for their country during WWII.  My father's name, Charles Staubach, is one of 553 names inscribed on both sides of that monument.  That's a lot of folks for a relatively small town that Miami was in those days.  Here is a screen cap from Bing Maps that shows where on the park it is located as well as a photo of the monument.

big view.JPG

ww2 monument2.jpg

Thankyou for posting Jim, compliments my post well, really interesting your post and comment.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, miamijimf said:

Also the park has a little known memorial to Dade County residents who gave their lives for their country during WWII.  My father's name, Charles Staubach, is one of 553 names inscribed on both sides of that monument.

I remember that you and I were at Bayfront Park at night with DanJ and we stopped at the memorial.  And some homeless guy appeared suddenly out of nowhere but we shooed him away.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, airtommy said:

I remember that you and I were at Bayfront Park at night with DanJ and we stopped at the memorial.  And some homeless guy appeared suddenly out of nowhere but we shooed him away.

I remember airtommy, the guy popping up made me kinda think of Shadow in the Dark but he didn't want to take on three guys, one with a walking stick.  :eek:

Edited by miamijimf
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, miamijimf said:

I remember airtommy, the guy popping up made me kinda think of Shadow in the Dark but he didn't want to take on three guys, one with a walking stick.  :eek:

A "Shadow in the Dark" / "Miami Squeeze" mashup.   :)

cane.png.c872ae40bbb57e290ad4448a72b389d9.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bayfront Park is supposed to have a tropical rock garden and waterfall.  I can't find it anywhere.  Does anybody know if it's still there and where it is?

http://www.bayfrontparkmiami.com/Facilties.html

Another question:  in "Nobody Lives Forever" we see steps leading into the water.  Are they still there?

nlfsteps.png.7e2e8ca30b18189f6cd7a1af850a5691.png

Edited by airtommy

The rock garden, waterfall, and lovely vegetation etc was destroyed by the renovation in the 80s.  I have pics.  It used to be a tropical oasis in downtown but that's long gone.  Don't know about the steps, do they show up on google, bing maps?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, miamijimf said:

The rock garden, waterfall, and lovely vegetation etc was destroyed by the renovation in the 80s.  I have pics.  It used to be a tropical oasis in downtown but that's long gone.

I'd lvoe to see those pics, but I guess those pics are film, not digital?  The website I linked claims there is a rock garden now.  This link indicates there was one in 2007.

http://www.miamigov.com/capitalImprovements/ProjectReports_1_4_2007/B-30200.pdf

But I can't find it on satellite.

Don't think the rock garden renovation reported on that web site ever happened.  The photos on the site look like the old garden before the 80s destruction, or so called renovation.  I have been to Bayfront Park several times since 07 and have never seen a new rock garden.  The garden was never really large because it is not prominent in any of the old pics I have of the park.  I think it changed a lot over the years.  Here are several old pics of the garden/landscaping/pond.

10255430_739731899405443_7132314568817116755_n.jpg

old Bayfront Park.jpg

10341817_739731529405480_259161869515640209_n.jpg

Bayfront Park 1951.jpg

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 2

On 1/13/2019 at 2:19 PM, miamijimf said:

Don't think the rock garden renovation reported on that web site ever happened.  The photos on the site look like the old garden before the 80s destruction, or so called renovation.  I have been to Bayfront Park several times since 07 and have never seen a new rock garden.  The garden was never really large because it is not prominent in any of the old pics I have of the park.  I think it changed a lot over the years.  Here are several old pics of the garden/landscaping/pond.

10255430_739731899405443_7132314568817116755_n.jpg

old Bayfront Park.jpg

10341817_739731529405480_259161869515640209_n.jpg

Bayfront Park 1951.jpg

Great Jim,Thankyou 

Miami Beach, sunset last night by me from the back of the Royal Palm Hotel (“Free Verse”, “Victims of Circumstance”).

57ACE204-E4C1-4A8A-B763-32C83B19DCA8.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 4

Last night’s sunset. I took this picture at a different angle at a Miami Vice location, anyone  want to take a guess where I was?

40BE6629-488F-4BA3-B59B-3A6441F34482.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

@Matt5 Is this on Virginia Key?

Miami Beach mainland friend - Big clue, remember this is not the angle we see in the famous episode. :cheers:

Edited by Matt5

1 hour ago, Matt5 said:

Last night’s sunset. I took this picture at a different angle at a Miami Vice location, anyone  want to take a guess where I was?

Is it the marina from the end of Red Tape?

@Matt5 if you’re feeling brave one day, and close by W. Flagler, let me know if La Liberdad is still there. Wife and I might have to come down for a colada this spring. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

@Matt5 if you’re feeling brave one day, and close by W. Flagler, let me know if La Liberdad is still there. Wife and I might have to come down for a colada this spring. :thumbsup:

Of course I will be going there , it’s rough and loads of rats down there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Matt5 said:

Is this where C&T visit Izzy in "Freefall" for the final time?

1 hour ago, airtommy said:

Is this where C&T visit Izzy in "Freefall" for the final time?

Yes indeed well done , Sunset Harbour Yacht Club on Bay Road. A completely different angle but where our hero’s meet Izzy for the last time in this famous scene.

• Like 2