Miami Miscellaneous

miamijimf

Picked this still up a few weeks ago from a post by @RedDragon86 a still from Season 3-5. When I looked at it you don’t often see this lush greenery and a slightly bigger grass area to where we see in other establishing driving shots. We don’t know the episode it’s from exactly yet?!

This is Collins Avenue opposite 5401 Collins (Carriage House) heading southbound towards the 5330 block. The small park is still there. It’s a lot wider than the other verges on Collins between here and 41st St. 

In pic 1 and 2 please see the purple circle showing the drain, yellow arrow a small stepped area and the off blue arrows showing the two paths we see. The building circled orange in the third picture shows the condo we see in “Freefall” during the teaser as the aerial goes over Miami Beach this park is directly in front of this building. @miamijimf

Thanks to @Tom @airtommy

4901343B-FE76-404A-8488-0CA0258C008F.jpeg

52609EA4-DAD9-45AA-AFF1-FAFAD5F4C5C5.jpeg

8D5D8475-7F2C-4083-A30B-E03A42DB3794.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Matt5 said:

This is Collins Avenue opposite 5401 Collins (Carriage House) heading southbound towards the 5330 block. The small park is still there. It’s a lot wider than the other verges on Collins between here and 41st St.

Great work, detective!   :thumbsup:

MacArthur Cswy / Terminal Isle (1968) above Bridge Road, Star Island looking to the still developing Port of Miami.

46D71070-5C1B-400E-BECC-AD05357C9087.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 3

On 2/28/2019 at 1:09 PM, airtommy said:

What MV houses are there way south, like beyond Coconut Grove, and not on the water?  All I can think of:

1. Pinecrest house from Mirror Image / World of Trouble
  2. Glenvar house from Dutch Oven / Whatever Works
  3. two houses from Love At First Sight

On 2/28/2019 at 5:22 PM, Matt5 said:

The houses on Hardie Avenue from “Bad Timing” also. 

On 3/6/2019 at 6:46 PM, airtommy said:

I just remembered the other one that I was trying to think of:  the judge's house in Pinecrest in "The Fix".

One more:  the "Way Estate" in Tale of the Goat

5 hours ago, airtommy said:

One more:  the "Way Estate" in Tale of the Goat

Yes the grounds have been significantly modified - the background houses from Cherry Lane / SW 82nd Street are others you can add    ( from the Crockett tailing Tubbs scenes). Although we see very little in the terms of houses.

Am I right that the only way to visit Gate D12 at the airport (Yankee Dollar, Free Verse) is to fly in or out of Concourse D?  You can't have a flight leaving from Concourse B and get to the airport early and visit D first, can you?

On 3/16/2019 at 5:15 PM, airtommy said:

Am I right that the only way to visit Gate D12 at the airport (Yankee Dollar, Free Verse) is to fly in or out of Concourse D?  You can't have a flight leaving from Concourse B and get to the airport early and visit D first, can you?

It’s not as easy as it once was, a few weeks ago I noticed a lot of changes and development with parts of the airport closed.They changed a lot of the security this year for example you go through security checkpoint E and you fly from Concourse E.

I was lucky enough in 2014 to fly from Concourse D on an international flight from Miami. Here are some pictures and of gate 12 you can still pick some things up like the white circular posts and the size of that area of the concourse we see in the “Yankee Dollar “ and “Free Verse” teasers.

F752C2A5-780A-4C40-BE5A-DFABC262D7AD.jpeg

4FC4CB9B-9E47-463A-AC5E-0FE9AF833BA0.jpeg

E5BD6FFA-D950-4568-B12B-79E3691246D1.jpeg

BD0B1AAC-A4F5-4A26-BF81-E0911B978F06.jpeg

6B92A41A-0F49-4525-9360-B1A0853A607C.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

On my next flight to Miami I'm going to hijack the plane.  They're going to ask "Where do you want to go?" and I'll tell them, "Still going to Miami, just switch from Concourse B to Concourse D.

:)

Actually, it looks like American Airlines flies in and out of D gates a lot on domestic flights, so that would be the more prudent method of visiting this location.

• Haha 1

If you were at least a teenager in the early 70s, regardless of nationality you will remember Watergate, one of the biggest scandals in American history.  But did you know there was a strong Miami connection?  Figures.  Of course this is how G. Gordon Liddy (Captain Realestate/Maynard in Stone's War etc) became infamous.

http://flashbackmiami.com/2016/07/19/watergate-and-the-miami-connection/

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, miamijimf said:

If you were at least a teenager in the early 70s, regardless of nationality you will remember Watergate, one of the biggest scandals in American history.  But did you know there was a strong Miami connection?  Figures.  Of course this is how G. Gordon Liddy (Captain Realestate/Maynard in Stone's War etc) became infamous.

http://flashbackmiami.com/2016/07/19/watergate-and-the-miami-connection/

Great Jim. Thankyou 

Expanding on Jim’s post the other day - here is a current day shot of the end of the San Marco Islands looking to 1000 Venetian Way (“Heart of Darkness” / “By Hooker By Crook”) to Watson Island and Downtown.

AA9412B3-7849-4185-9C13-0B4CAEECB95B.jpeg

• Like 2

Here is an interesting article about Bob Marley, the Reggae singer who likely inspired the episode The Big Thaw.  Bob Marley had a house in South Dade, frequently performed in Miami, and died there in 1981.  His son even played for the UM football team.  I really like Marley's music.  It can be heard in The Big Thaw, and Cool Runnin'.  PMT had the Jamaican accent down pat.  One of the reasons I am drawn to Vice is that it not only shows my hometown back in the 80s but reflects Miami culture and events.

This link also gives you access to a recording of his complete show in 78 at the Jai Alai Fronton.

http://flashbackmiami.com/2016/05/10/bob-marley-reggae-music-king-dies-in-miami/

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, miamijimf said:

Here is an interesting article about Bob Marley, the Reggae singer who likely inspired the episode The Big Thaw.  Bob Marley had a house in South Dade, frequently performed in Miami, and died there in 1981.  His son even played for the UM football team.  I really like Marley's music.  It can be heard in The Big Thaw, and Cool Runnin'.  PMT had the Jamaican accent down pat.  One of the reasons I am drawn to Vice is that it not only shows my hometown back in the 80s but reflects Miami culture and events.

This link also gives you access to a recording of his complete show in 78 at the Jai Alai Fronton.

http://flashbackmiami.com/2016/05/10/bob-marley-reggae-music-king-dies-in-miami/

This was wonderful! Thank you for sharing! I had no idea Marley was so young! What a loss!

1 hour ago, miamijimf said:

Interesting Jim Thankyou - I too like Bob Marley’s music it’s all over Miami today, perhaps not Ocean Drive but I’ve heard it everywhere. I was reading about him recently and his illness (cancer) where he fell ill on a flight and he was transferred to Miami. He never mentioned Miami in his music his homeland Jamaica sure I think he had a house there too.

Are you back in the Miami or Lauderdale area in April or May Jim would be great to see you. Best

1 hour ago, mjcmmv said:

This was wonderful! Thank you for sharing! I had no idea Marley was so young! What a loss!

Great piece.

This was sent to me yesterday a 1980 aerial looking north of North Beach with the 63rd St bridge, Carillion Hotel and Ocean Terrace. A much used area by Miami Vice from Seasons 1 through 5 featured in many episodes. “Heart of Darkness”, “Made for Each Other”, “Definately Miami”, “Better Living Through Chemistry”, “Contempt of Court” and “Hard Knocks” to name some.

805175CB-3F72-4C41-AF53-D1600132E96E.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

To many of us Miami and Florida is an area where we spend a lot of time over the years and we know it with our eyes closed. This was sent to me today on an overcast day and I realised I don’t know where this was or couldn’t immediately recognise any buildings till I looked closer. Shows how Miami is changing. 

281519D9-5046-4738-89EF-F65D31EF140D.jpeg

• Like 1

After the fatal shooting in Miami Beach at Collins and 13th , this was also all over the news a few days ago, again in Miami Vice territory.

https://wsvn.com/news/local/man-killed-in-north-miami-beach-shooting/

And a shooting on the Julia Tuttle Cswy (“Pilot”, “Heart of Darkness”, “The Fix”, “Forgive us our Debts”, “Baseballs of Death” and many more).

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article228395759.html

Edited by Matt5

2 hours ago, Kladdagh said:

Sad news about the shooting ... ;(

Yes terribly sad - there has been a trend in last year or so of people firing and shooting at cars on causeways in Miami at night. This is the 6th or so instance. This was particularly relevant as a major Miami Vice location. (Julia Tuttle Cswy).

Edited by Matt5