Miami Miscellaneous

miamijimf

2 hours ago, Matt5 said:

Yes indeed well done , Sunset Harbour Yacht Club on Bay Road. A completely different angle but where our hero’s meet Izzy for the last time in this famous scene.

My first guess was Yage on Rickenbacker (Yankee Dollar, Walk Alone) but then you said Miami Beach so that was ruled out.

On 1/21/2019 at 1:57 PM, Dadrian said:

@Matt5 if you’re feeling brave one day, and close by W. Flagler, let me know if La Liberdad is still there. Wife and I might have to come down for a colada this spring. :thumbsup:

Interested to know if it’s still there as well. Just booked our hotel stay at the Breakwater this May.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ZAQ 178 said:

Interested to know if it’s still there as well. Just booked our hotel stay at the Breakwater this May.

The Breakwater Hotel is still looking like it’s doing well, several other Ocean Drive hotels are closed including The Tides (over 2 and a half years now). 

I find myself noticing the progress of that building in various shots throughout the first two seasons, and all the way to completion in the season 3 opening montage.

It’s kind of a symbol of the show itself in that way for me, as I see the third season as where the show didn’t make any more progress forward. I don’t mean that negatively, but quite the contrary. Seasons 3-5 were still the most unique and distinguishable structures in television city. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dadrian said:

I find myself noticing the progress of that building in various shots throughout the first two seasons, and all the way to completion in the season 3 opening montage.

It’s kind of a symbol of the show itself in that way for me, as I see the third season as where the show didn’t make any more progress forward. I don’t mean that negatively, but quite the contrary. Seasons 3-5 were still the most unique and distinguishable structures in television city. 

Yes Dadrian it even came full circle being seen a number of times ( and trailers) in the Miami Vice big screen movie.

The first time we see this building lite up and operational is in the teaser of “Florence Italy” , then a number of times in Season 3, a lot less in Seasons 4-5.

• Like 1

I do really like the views we see of Miami and areas in Seasons 4 and 5 from 1987-1989. They are different and less well known but show a good cross sections of the area. Miami is not all pretty Art Deco it has a rich and a very poor divide with good and bad problems then and today . The show highlighted that well from 1987-89 and was a lot less fluffy than the earlier seasons imo.

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 2

It’s been quite cold in last few days in the Miami Area, this was last night in Miami Shores actually on North Bayshore Drive. The Pink House seen in “Mirror Image” and “No Exit”(Three Eyed Turtle”) was only 3 houses north of this picture. My picture shows the stretch Sonny aka Burnett zoomed off in in the Season 4 finale “Mirror Image”/ and boat chase scenes in “Gods Work”. To the far left (and just out of picture) is the Jockey Club building (“Prodigal Son”, “World of Trouble”, “Made For Each Other”).

Sometimes cold days and grey skies make striking images.

41F4C81F-E91A-4364-AF54-88B7051E80FC.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 3

Did they film a Vice scene at one of the warehouses backing up to the railroad tracks where the railroad cuts across town between 6th St & 7th St?

https://goo.gl/maps/rfMWsNFemQk

I thought there was one, maybe in a later season?  Maybe I'm mistakenly thinking about "Rising Sun of Death" which turned out to be west of I-95.

On 1/27/2019 at 7:17 PM, airtommy said:

Did they film a Vice scene at one of the warehouses backing up to the railroad tracks where the railroad cuts across town between 6th St & 7th St?

https://goo.gl/maps/rfMWsNFemQk

I thought there was one, maybe in a later season?  Maybe I'm mistakenly thinking about "Rising Sun of Death" which turned out to be west of I-95.

I’m thinking of “Rising Sun of Death” also?

According to Jeremys site warehouse was filmed here:

121AF291-7CD2-475F-813A-9A7E8558A6E5.jpeg

Edited by Matt5

According to the U.S. Census Bureau, Bureau of Labor Statistics, and other sources Miami was the second fastest growing big city in America in 2018.  Not a fan but it's reality.  This video shows what's happening.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, miamijimf said:

According to the U.S. Census Bureau, Bureau of Labor Statistics, and other sources Miami was the second fastest growing big city in America in 2018.  Not a fan but it's reality.  This video shows what's happening.

Miami isn’t the city it used to be. Get out to North Beach, Coral Gables or Coconut Grove it’s much quieter, so much less development and a hell of a lot cleaner.

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

Old article on the Atlantis Condo (Hit List, Viking Bikers From Hell), the Towers of Quayside (One Way Ticket, Cuba Libre, Like a Hurricane), and Turnberry Isle (Golden Triangle, Phil the Shill, Junk Love)

Where Luxury Has No Bounds

by Dee Wedemeyer

March 14, 1982

https://www.nytimes.com/1982/03/14/realestate/where-luxury-has-no-bounds.html

"Mr. Swedroe's first three towers at Turnberry Isle are white, concrete and in a z-shape. The shape helps shorten the length of the corridor, places eight of 11 apartments on a corner and makes the building appear smaller. "

Interesting idea.  Those condos are unique!

"At one development, The Towers of Quayside, security costs $700,000 a year, or $700 a unit."

That was a lot of money in 1982!  Those are the guys who denied me the opportunity to look around.  :thumbsdown:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, airtommy said:

Old article on the Atlantis Condo (Hit List, Viking Bikers From Hell), the Towers of Quayside (One Way Ticket, Cuba Libre, Like a Hurricane), and Turnberry Isle (Golden Triangle, Phil the Shill, Junk Love)

Where Luxury Has No Bounds

by Dee Wedemeyer

March 14, 1982

https://www.nytimes.com/1982/03/14/realestate/where-luxury-has-no-bounds.html

"Mr. Swedroe's first three towers at Turnberry Isle are white, concrete and in a z-shape. The shape helps shorten the length of the corridor, places eight of 11 apartments on a corner and makes the building appear smaller. "

Interesting idea.  Those condos are unique!

"At one development, The Towers of Quayside, security costs $700,000 a year, or $700 a unit."

That was a lot of money in 1982!  Those are the guys who denied me the opportunity to look around.  :thumbsdown:

Thanks!  Very interesting.  I like reading older articles like that.

2 hours ago, miamijimf said:

Photo of the week posted by Hudson11.  Where was the photographer?

Is this Miami?  That spit of land reminds me of the Castillo/Lao Li meeting in "Golden Triangle". 

gt.png.cd0b511b5d21c3730f9451ef4adb1442.png

Not Golden Triangle.  Yes the buildings you see in the background are definitely Miami.   Maybe I should have put this in the Location Trivia area but Vice never used this spot.  Vice did use a recently discovered nearby wooded area.  This spot appears several times in Burn Notice.

Edited by miamijimf

1 hour ago, miamijimf said:

Not Golden Triangle.  Yes the buildings you see in the background are definitely Miami.   Maybe I should have put this in the Location Trivia area but Vice never used this spot.  Vice did use a recently discovered nearby wooded area.  This spot appears several times in Burn Notice.

Looks like Matheson Hammock Park (Freefall) to me. You can see 1925 Brickell and the trees that line the Rickenbacker Cswy on the south side. 

Cool shot Jim - I’ve seen this before online.

On 2/15/2019 at 12:21 AM, airtommy said:

Oh yeah, I've been there!  Never knew it had a view of downtown.  Heckuva zoom!

Yes one hell of a zoom, the park sadly has seen hurricane damage and some of the palm trees are not there any longer around the small circular beach. The image has been enhanced and retouched considerably to get those colors. Miami Vice shot very close to here in “Bought and Paid For” on the Arvida Parkway (General’s home) and of course in “Freefall” they shot in the west side of this very same park.

Edited by Matt5

Yes it's Matheson Hammock Park, beach and marina, 9610 Old Cutler Road, Coral Gables.  This was Dade County's first park.  Here is a similar, older shot.  

Capture1.JPG.2998c564743ce471e4e121fbbf89bf6c.JPG

This is CGlide's image of the entire park.  On the right you see the round tidal basin/swimming hole with a distant view of downtown.  The arrow points to where, in the beginning of Freefall, you see Guzman tied to a tree after capture by Colombian Cartel.  It is the W. end of the Forrest Trails that my friends and I used to explore.  Most likely this area was also the scene of the rescuer's field camp later in the episode. 

cap3.JPG.111c64ff742738d472728b4496c682c8.JPG

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, miamijimf said:

Yes it's Matheson Hammock Park, beach and marina, 9610 Old Cutler Road, Coral Gables.  This was Dade County's first park.  Here is a similar, older shot.  

Capture1.JPG.2998c564743ce471e4e121fbbf89bf6c.JPG

This is CGlide's image of the entire park.  On the right you see the round tidal basin/swimming hole with a distant view of downtown.  The arrow points to where, in the beginning of Freefall, you see Guzman tied to a tree after capture by Colombian Cartel.  It is the W. end of the Forrest Trails that my friends and I used to explore.  Most likely this area was also the scene of the rescuer's field camp later in the episode. 

cap3.JPG.111c64ff742738d472728b4496c682c8.JPG

Great Jim. Yes the rescuers camp and the stone hospital area (greenhouse) was just slightly east of the wooded area seen early in the episode. Some scenes where Tubbs was driving around with the young woman were also filmed in the west side of this park.

• Like 1