Miami Miscellaneous

miamijimf

Weather predictions are very scientific these days and they say the hurricane will now just brush the E. Coast of Fla.  Good news but I think the best way to view this development is what one wag had to say "Just because it has it's turn signal on doesn't mean it will turn."  Everything has a price and this is the price we pay for living in a great state.

fla.thumb.jpg.c8ed81b51827d9981416fe524528f101.jpg

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, miamijimf said:

Weather predictions are very scientific these days and they say the hurricane will now just brush the E. Coast of Fla.  Good news but I think the best way to view this development is what one wag had to say "Just because it has it's turn signal on doesn't mean it will turn."  Everything has a price and this is the price we pay for living in a great state.

fla.thumb.jpg.c8ed81b51827d9981416fe524528f101.jpg

We're watching with you. Good luck! 

• Like 1

you can follow the beast here . according to Bahamian witnesses, it's apocalyse. they say they never saw anything similar in their country history. be sure to put your cat (or alligator) into a safe place :) :eek:. don't mess with that one people. it's gonna be real nasty. Good luck there

edit: Bahamas vids are terrifying :eek:

Edited by jpaul1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/29/2019 at 5:15 PM, airtommy said:

Last night I had a dream that the location hunting gang at this forum was hunting the location of a scene with Trudy.  She was in her apartment at night and you could see the entrance had a wrought iron screen door.  The door had a distinctive pattern with large leaves, possibly hollies.  Something like this:

screendoor.jpg.b1b831e6406d45e976a1ec294183f54d.jpg

We had reason to believe it was in North Beach near Switek's place.  I was thinking that the next time I'm in Miami I could drive around there and find it by looking for that screen door.

A considerably less exciting dream than Crockett in "Shadow In The Dark".   :)

Perfectly understandable.  I've had dreams about Gina before.  :happy:

• Like 1

On 9/2/2019 at 5:57 PM, Matt5 said:

Bayfront Park - Miami circa 1985. 

75A572C0-68D6-4CFC-989D-E164EDA05841.jpeg

Great photo thanks but later than 1985, looks like it was taken after the reconstruction was completed in the late 80s.  The library is not in the photo and it wasn't demolished until 1986.

Here's Biscayne Blvd from an angle you don't normally see.  The Sears Tower and the Arsht Center lower right.

EDYtY9_XoAEOUGs.jpg.57a65e5aebe51b942f652ece57ff7529.jpg

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, miamijimf said:

Great photo thanks but later than 1985, looks like it was taken after the reconstruction was completed in the late 80s.  The library is not in the photo and it wasn't demolished until 1986.

Here's Biscayne Blvd from an angle you don't normally see.  The Sears Tower and the Arsht Center lower right.

EDYtY9_XoAEOUGs.jpg.57a65e5aebe51b942f652ece57ff7529.jpg

Yes Jim you’re right - The Miami Herald listed my photo as 1985 but I would think 1988. You’re photo is a very different angle, Thankyou nice to see.

Biscayne Bvld and the Bacardi Building courtesy of the Miami Herald, circa February 1988 from the top of Omni looking north in Edgewater. A real nice different view of this location featured in several Miami Vice episodes (Pilot, “Cool Running’”, “Phil the Shill”, “Florence Italy”, “Down For the Count” Part 2).:glossy:

27AAA0FF-B5E3-4CEF-9F3B-529F966ACFDB.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 2

This was sent to me today - an amazing shot looking out to Brickell Key, circa 1987. This was taken from the Hyatt Regency Hotel just above the Brickell Avenue Bridge and the former Dupont Plaza Hotel. In fact the building closest to and just under the balcony is the former hotel (rooftop). The only buildings still there today are the Four Ambassadors (far central right of picture) and the Brickell Key One Condo at 520 Brickell Key Dr (built 1982) (seen in “Indian Wars” and “Golden Triangle”, Pt 2 & “One Eyed Jack”).

79068847-0B77-49BA-8884-CA5E1FEBBB86.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 2

Never had a class in photography but I would guess that professional photographers would really like this photo.  It has perspective, contrast, unique color, and great subject matter.  Plus it's an excellent recent shot of the Miami skyline.

48296907587_47f575865a_h.thumb.jpg.e8ca2763bd9ecdb798f53ec4472d0385.jpg

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 6

20 hours ago, miamijimf said:

Never had a class in photography but I would guess that professional photographers would really like this photo.  It has perspective, contrast, unique color, and great subject matter.  Plus it's an excellent recent shot of the Miami skyline.

48296907587_47f575865a_h.thumb.jpg.e8ca2763bd9ecdb798f53ec4472d0385.jpg

Great Jim - and they havent played around with the colors like so many do now to make sunsets or rises look more colorful - a great photo across Miami Beach to Downtown.

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

Miami Beach began to boom in the early 1920's. The rail line made it possible to live or vacation near the ocean and still have the advantage of quick, inexpensive, and frequent transportation into downtown Miami.  Bring it back, we need it badly considering the awful traffic these days.

trolley.thumb.jpg.f2912dacb192d1607dd0bd49408a0be4.jpg
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, miamijimf said:

Miami Beach began to boom in the early 1920's. The rail line made it possible to live or vacation near the ocean and still have the advantage of quick, inexpensive, and frequent transportation into downtown Miami.  Bring it back, we need it badly considering the awful traffic these days.

This is so true. Bring back rail lines and other alternatives to relieve traffic congestion. I live in the NY metropolitan area, so this is a subject close to my heart. Interesting stuff. Thanks for posting. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, miamijimf said:

I agree Jim totally - Downtown Miami, Miami Beach and Causeway traffic is the worst it’s ever been. It’s frustrating to see. 

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1