Miami Miscellaneous

miamijimf

On 9/24/2019 at 5:29 PM, jpaul1 said:

south of little haiti has been badly gentrified. it's beautiful, it's clean, but there's no soul. looks like an empty avenue, where the rich come make his shopping, and go away. if they continue that way they are going to kill the city

edit: wynwood has been gentrified a lot too, but i have to admit that the neighborhood has a soul. when you roam its streets, the neighborhood has defintely a soul. maybe it's because of the presence of lot of artists there, who are a category of people one can't buy.? bit sad though for all the 'native' that had to move from there because of the prices risings

I walked through Little Haiti a few months ago to see the school location we see in “Tale of the Goat” (Legba on the phone). I didn’t find it too bad but after dark it’s like the Wild West - Drive by shootings in particular. Very poor area and just north of Wynwood.

43 minutes ago, jpaul1 said:

somebody can tell me what this is. it's a cash drive in right?

jT54n6R.jpg

Yes that’s right. Just an add on to the bank you can see this in some locations.

Edited by Matt5
  • Thanks 1

From “Cool Runnin” Summer 1984 - The Grand Bay and Coconut Grove looking out to Dinner Key looked great then. This was taken from an apartment building next to door to the Grand Bay at 2655 S Bayshore Drive which stretches right back to Tigertail Avenue. (Grand Bay of course gone, apartment building empty).

80B77A46-6F89-4C5E-AE70-F1BFD405D5B2.jpeg

Edited by Matt5

6 hours ago, jpaul1 said:

somebody can tell me what this is. it's a cash drive in right?

jT54n6R.jpg

Yes and you can conduct banking business from there, cash checks etc.  These days almost everything is a drive thru, can even get groceries brought out to your car if you phone ahead.

Edited by miamijimf
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, miamijimf said:

Yes and you can conduct banking business from there, cash checks etc.  These days almost everything is a drive thru, can even get groceries brought out to your car if you phone ahead.

They have drive thru liquor stores in Texas!! :baby:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

i don't get much of these supermarkets drive thrus. i mean personnally i know it would take me 10 more time to shop on a 10 cm smartphone, than going there myself. maybe i'm an old out of modernity dude that missed the real point :). but you know what, when i see the world nowadays, sometimes i think it's good to miss the point :)

• Like 2

Here is a video about crime in S. Florida, part 3.  The pre-Vice period starts at about 10:20.  A familiar story to many of you but still interesting.  Of course he mentions Miami Vice.  The narrator is Dr. George, my old college prof.  Brilliant man but i don't always agree 100% with him.

http://miamihistorychannel.com/crime-in-south-florida-part-3/

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 1

On 9/30/2019 at 11:29 PM, miamijimf said:

Here is a video about crime in S. Florida, part 3.  The pre-Vice period starts at about 10:20.  A familiar story to many of you but still interesting.  Of course he mentions Miami Vice.  The narrator is Dr. George, my old college prof.  Brilliant man but i don't always agree 100% with him.

http://miamihistorychannel.com/crime-in-south-florida-part-3/

Great piece Jim, Thankyou.

• Like 1

i find the strategical, and political development of Miami regarding the tall buildings has been made quite nicely actually. because if you look Brickell today, and back then, the development is not 'shocking'. of course there are more skyscrappers, but i find it really reasonable. the politics did a great job, i think

this comment excludes the gentrification phenomenom. which is another subject

Edited by jpaul1

8 hours ago, jpaul1 said:

i find the strategical, and political development of Miami regarding the tall buildings has been made quite nicely actually. because if you look Brickell today, and back then, the development is not 'shocking'. of course there are more skyscrappers, but i find it really reasonable. the politics did a great job, i think

I couldn't disagree more.  The older Brickell & downtown buildings looked nice and were a reasonable height.  The newer ones are unattractive and way too tall.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, airtommy said:

I couldn't disagree more.  The older Brickell & downtown buildings looked nice and were a reasonable height.  The newer ones are unattractive and way too tall.

yeah but this is in the perfect dream. i mean population has grown a bit meanwhile. where do you put all these people. i prefer a couple of buildings in brickell than the same thing into the swamp

1 hour ago, jpaul1 said:

yeah but this is in the perfect dream. i mean population has grown a bit meanwhile. where do you put all these people. i prefer a couple of buildings in brickell than the same thing into the swamp

They could have built twice as many skyscrapers half as tall and it would take up a tiny portion of Dade.  Anyway the condos are largely built not for residents but for foreigners who want a place to stay and a US investment to protect some money from local currency risk.

I don't like the gigantinormous buildings either but why agonize over things you can't control?  The Miami Herald reported that this greatest building boom of all time is largely fueled by foreign investment.

10 hours ago, miamijimf said:

I don't like the gigantinormous buildings either but why agonize over things you can't control?  The Miami Herald reported that this greatest building boom of all time is largely fueled by foreign investment.

I agree Jim I actually don’t mind Brickell there are loads of buildings from Miami Vice down there. But yes all foreign investment mainly from South America.

Far North side of Ocean Dr ,  “Little Miss Dangerous “ / “Hard Knocks” territory  circa 1982. 

1ACDE002-48E1-4D1C-8D5C-B1658E9678E4.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 2

Brickell in 1935 (yes you read correctly). the name Miami seems to come from indian tribe Mayaimi. which means 'very large'. refering to the place they used to live lake Okeechobee

Miamiriver.jpg

in 1969 Victoria Principal got elected Miss Miami

ba3d262b140f86035bf98ebd39c1386a.jpg

Edited by jpaul1
  • Like 2

Unfortunately the farmacia on 8th Street and 36th Ave SW and the entire block is being demolished.  You see its distinctive yellow sign in the opening montage of the Pilot episode.  Supposedly it is to build a hi-rise and retail stores or a parking lot for Versailles.  80s Miami is going fast.  If you want to visit for the first time or return, don't wait long.

farmacia.jpg.7517c056385e22b9b60f7c02b982008a.jpg

now

now.jpg.8f34822ad1cca1fdd758f188225f6e2f.jpg

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, miamijimf said:

Unfortunately the farmacia on 8th Street and 36th Ave SW and the entire block is being demolished.  You see its distinctive yellow sign in the opening montage of the Pilot episode.  Supposedly it is to build a hi-rise and retail stores or a parking lot for Versailles.  80s Miami is going fast.  If you want to visit for the first time or return, don't wait long.

farmacia.jpg.7517c056385e22b9b60f7c02b982008a.jpg

now

now.jpg.8f34822ad1cca1fdd758f188225f6e2f.jpg

What a shame, thankfully I visited before when it was still a Pharmacy in 2005.

They spent many years rebuilding West Flagler Street.  A few years ago I got stuck in a traffic jam because of the construction.   They finally finished and here is a drone video of the results.   From 00:10 to 00:34 you can see the gas station from Evan, first in light pink then in a darker more orange color.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, airtommy said:

They spent many years rebuilding West Flagler Street.  A few years ago I got stuck in a traffic jam because of the construction.   They finally finished and here is a drone video of the results.   From 00:10 to 00:34 you can see the gas station from Evan, first in light pink then in a darker more orange color.

Beautiful - it was a mess there on W Flagler in 2017 and a lot better this year. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matt5 said:

Beautiful - it was a mess there on W Flagler in 2017 and a lot better this year. 

Ya I recall it used to be a very rough road that surprised me being so close to downtown.

7 hours ago, miamijimf said:

Ya I recall it used to be a very rough road that surprised me being so close to downtown.

Yes even with the improvements which I noted in June this year it’s still a pretty rough area of town. Crime is a problem.