Miami Miscellaneous

miamijimf

9 hours ago, airtommy said:

Regarding the Four Points Sheraton (now the Four Palms) seen in the "Definitely Miami" pool scene and other eps:

My experience is that anybody can walk in through the hotel's front entrance and through the lobby to the pool area via the door at the far right of the back of the lobby.  But I couldn't get back from the pool into the lobby without a key card.  Is there a way back in without a key card?  Also, can anyone walk out of the pool to the beach?  I assume walking from the beach to the pool is restricted.

I hadn’t experienced that recently - you could get into the lobby from the pool area with no restrictions. You do need a key card to exit the pool area onto the beach and same vice versa. This is how it also works at The Carillion up in North Beach but there they also ask for your key card as you enter the lobby so a lot stricter.

• Thanks 1

On 12/22/2019 at 6:23 PM, miamijimf said:

Something useful for those visiting Miami Beach - parking guide.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/miami-beach/article238542523.html

this is useful

On 12/23/2019 at 12:00 AM, miamijimf said:

Thanks Matt, I plan to save this link so I will know exactly where the parking garages are located.  You've got to be real lucky to find street parking in less than an hour.

you need a scooter jim

Edited by jpaul1

On 1/13/2020 at 9:54 AM, Matt5 said:

Current day of our City looking to the beach up to Government Cut:funky:

C75D2C19-03BA-4423-BF03-59F32E90EDF2.jpeg

Stunning!!  I've always been in awe here pulling out on the cruises I've been on.

• Like 2

Collins Ave in the 50s.  This is not a location trivia question because you don't see this view in Vice but does anyone know what happened on this block?

81695200_1373632829485498_4962463114252517376_o.jpg.8505414c7286b5809ec127ccfdf5b4f1.jpg

• Like 1

I was wondering if I could visit one of the small airfields we see on Vice.  After searching CGlide's site a bit, I realized they basically always used the same one:  Opa Locka West Airport.  We see it in these episodes:

• Smuggler's Blues
  • Back in the World
  • Stone's War
  • Baby Blues
  • The Afternoon Plane
  • Freefall

Opa Locka West was opened in 1970 and closed in 2006.  From 2007 to 2014 it was used for drag racing.  Dade County has dubiously claim that it was damaged by a hurricane, which appears to be an excuse to turn the property into a limestone quarry to generate tax revenue.

More info and pics:  http://www.airfields-freeman.com/FL/Airfields_FL_Miami_N.htm

It can still be seen from the air:  https://goo.gl/maps/d2wERJXQFSjwajAQ7 .

CGlide posted in 2013 about a Top Gear episode filmed there.   https://miamiviceonline.com/index.php?/topic/9146-top-gear-america/  I can't figure out which episode it is, but it's Season 3 of Top Gear U.S.

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, airtommy said:

Not counting stock footage, did MV film at any other airfields besides MIA, Opa Locka, and Opa Locka West?

Didn't they use JFK at the end of Prodigal Son?   OK not the airfield but the terminal.  :p

Edited by Sonny-Burnett
  • Like 1

On 1/17/2020 at 8:06 PM, miamijimf said:

Collins Ave in the 50s.  This is not a location trivia question because you don't see this view in Vice but does anyone know what happened on this block?

81695200_1373632829485498_4962463114252517376_o.jpg.8505414c7286b5809ec127ccfdf5b4f1.jpg

I tried researching but found nada.  Any hint Jim? 

13 hours ago, airtommy said:

Not counting stock footage, did MV film at any other airfields besides MIA, Opa Locka, and Opa Locka West?

I'm really asking about scenes in South Florida.  Were there any other airfields? 

@Tom

@Matt5

29 minutes ago, airtommy said:

Which one?  To me it looks like Opa Locka West.

Impossible to tell, the web site of old abandoned airstrips doesn't provide enough pics of what these strips looked like when they were operating.  In the episode it just looks like a rural location in the middle of the woods with more trees and bushes than you would see at a more established strip. One of my favorite episodes.  Did you know that the Carrera house was owned by the singer Madonna and located next to Sylvester Stallone’s former house?  Don't know if she still owns it.

Edited by miamijimf

vor 6 Stunden schrieb airtommy:

I'm really asking about scenes in South Florida.  Were there any other airfields? 

@Tom

@Matt5

I recall two that are not on your list: the executive Airport in Fort Lauderdale (one way Ticket, Fruit of the poison tree) and wasn’t there the small airport in Pembroke Pines they used in Trust fund Pirates?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tom said:

I recall two that are not on your list: the executive Airport in Fort Lauderdale (one way Ticket, Fruit of the poison tree) and wasn’t there the small airport in Pembroke Pines they used in Trust fund Pirates?

Thank you!  Wow, I had always thought Trust Fund Pirates was filmed at Opa Locka (not west), but you're right:  it was North Perry Airport at 7501 Pembroke Rd, Pembroke Pines.  Fort Lauderdale Executive Airport is at 6000 NW 21st Ave, Fort Lauderdale, FL.

==============================================

Next question:  I was looking at Crackers in Miami Lakes and I saw that it has been demolished.  It seems like most of the suburban night clubs seen in MV have been demolished. 

What actual night clubs did we see on MV, not counting South Beach?

• Crackers - Miami Lakes - Bought and Paid For - gone
  • Nepenthe - Fort Lauderdale - Hit List - gone
  • Pizazz - Fort Lauderdale - Better Living Through Chemistry - repurposed into a store