Miami Miscellaneous

miamijimf

A nice current day shot above Bayfront Park and Biscayne Bvld, similar to a view we see in “Cuba Libre”, “Hostile Takeover” and “Fruit of the Poison Tree”.:cheers:

62730CE0-911A-4882-A575-F543307DB96C.jpeg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Matt5 said:

Great piece Jim - Thankyou for posting.

Thanks Matt, I plan to save this link so I will know exactly where the parking garages are located.  You've got to be real lucky to find street parking in less than an hour.

Edited by miamijimf

The iconic Season 2 Miami Vice image and one of the most used images of the show. I always wondered where this was shot - certainly not Miami Beach but could be Key Biscayne or Virginia Key. :xmas:

93C1435D-222B-41D8-9885-42BF74961C96.jpeg

• Like 1

Miami in the 80s.  You see the first building constructed on Brickell Key - Brickell Key One, condos built in 1982.  At 520 Brickell Key Drive, in Indian Wars it's where the Chief's son jumps to his death in the final scenes.  Bayfront Park in under construction. The marina might be also which would explain why there are no boats in the marina.  I'm investigating this.

1980s-Bayside-Cover.jpg.221729ca35628f00dced7090dccd5713.jpg

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, miamijimf said:

Miami in the 80s.  You see the first building constructed on Brickell Key - Brickell Key One, condos built in 1982.  At 520 Brickell Key Drive, in Indian Wars it's where the Chief's son jumps to his death in the final scenes.  Bayfront Park in under construction. The marina might be also which would explain why there are no boats in the marina.  I'm investigating this.

1980s-Bayside-Cover.jpg.221729ca35628f00dced7090dccd5713.jpg

I would say this photo is 1986-87 when Bayside was under construction - when Miami Vice shot the St.Vitus scenes over on Watson Island (Season 3). During the shooting of “El Viejo” (Summer 1986) the Marina was also empty of all boats. The show also shot there during the construction in “Better Living Through Chemistry”.

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Matt5 said:

I would say this photo is 1986-87 when Bayside was under construction - when Miami Vice shot the St.Vitus scenes over on Watson Island (Season 3). During the shooting of “El Viejo” (Summer 1986) the Marina was also empty of all boats.

Thanks, that explains it. 

Capture13.JPG.a63092cd38fbfd2ba030d2ea9c857f4f.JPG

2 minutes ago, Matt5 said:

Nice current day aerial over Brickell Key - look at those colors.:cheers:

8AF5F782-6888-4CFF-9DDA-3E29D531E0E3.jpeg

Amazing how much the skyline has changed over the last 30 years!  This pic would make a heck of a puzzle.

37 minutes ago, Mr. Vigilante said:

Amazing how much the skyline has changed over the last 30 years!  This pic would make a heck of a puzzle.

Yes indeed a lot of changes! You can still pick out the Vice buildings though...

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Matt5:

Nice current day aerial over Brickell Key - look at those colors.:cheers:

8AF5F782-6888-4CFF-9DDA-3E29D531E0E3.jpeg

Great pic! Shot yourself?

looks like a night shot. Is that really a day aerial?

9 minutes ago, Tom said:

Great pic! Shot yourself?

looks like a night shot. Is that really a day aerial?

I think he meant current-day, as in 2019/2020.  It's probably a drone shot.

vor 6 Minuten schrieb airtommy:

I think he meant current-day, as in 2019/2020.  It's probably a drone shot.

Oh yeah you’re right and I’m probably still „illuminated“ from New Year‘s celebrations...;)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tom said:

Oh yeah you’re right and I’m probably still „illuminated“ from New Year‘s celebrations...;)

Yes Tom this was sent to me today it’s a drone shot above Brickell Key and @airtommy got it I meant current-day (night shot) 2020 of course.:cheers:

Edited by Matt5

11 hours ago, airtommy said:

It's a gorgeous shot.  Almost enough to make stop complaining about to overbuilding.  Almost ...

I agree - a close almost.... but the way the colors align with the buildings in this shot is breathtaking.

I know I am admitting I'm an ol' guy (but not as old as Tony D.) with this post but I vaguely remember visiting the Prins Valdemar as a young child.  This thread is about new and old significant Miami events and this ship was an important part of Miami history.  It was, in a way, responsible for the early onset of the Great Depression in Miami (bringing in bootlegers, the mob, and may have been the start of Miami as a center for crime).  The ship was a fixture of downtown.  If you look at Google Maps it was located North of today's Bayside Mall parking lot, alongside 6th Street, and was visible from Biscayne Blvd.  It served the community proudly for a good part of the last century.

https://miami-history.com/prins-valdemar-a-miami-landmark/

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Regarding the Four Points Sheraton (now the Four Palms) seen in the "Definitely Miami" pool scene and other eps:

My experience is that anybody can walk in through the hotel's front entrance and through the lobby to the pool area via the door at the far right of the back of the lobby.  But I couldn't get back from the pool into the lobby without a key card.  Is there a way back in without a key card?  Also, can anyone walk out of the pool to the beach?  I assume walking from the beach to the pool is restricted.

Edited by airtommy