Miami Miscellaneous

miamijimf

The Façade Nightclub, 3509 NE 163rd St. N. Miami Beach features a very animated and clever Latin exhibition dancer and Latin music: Season One, The Maze.

• Like 1

"Suburban" night clubs we see on MV:

• Crackers - Miami Lakes - Bought and Paid For - demolished
  • Nepenthe - Fort Lauderdale - Hit List - demolished
  • Pizazz - Fort Lauderdale - Better Living Through Chemistry - gone (now a store)
  • Frankie & Johnny's - Fort Lauderdale - Payback - demolished
  • Zigfield’s at the Holiday Inn Airport Lakes - Miami - Whatever Works - building 100% gutted
  • Club Ache - Miami Little Havana - Give a Little Take a Little - closed in 2013 but still there

I assume the one in Little Havana is still there because it has some historic value to the Cuban community.  Of the other 5, 4 have been demolished and 1 is now a store with the club interior presumably demolished.

That's an amazing track record.  Perhaps some sort of Biblical message about sin?  :)

Edited by airtommy

3 hours ago, airtommy said:

"Suburban" night clubs we see on MV:

• Crackers - Miami Lakes - Bought and Paid For - demolished
  • Nepenthe - Fort Lauderdale - Hit List - demolished
  • Pizazz - Fort Lauderdale - Better Living Through Chemistry - gone (now a store)
  • Frankie & Johnny's - Fort Lauderdale - Payback - demolished
  • Zigfield’s at the Holiday Inn Airport Lakes - Miami - Whatever Works - building 100% gutted
  • Club Ache - Miami Little Havana - Give a Little Take a Little - closed in 2013 but still there

I assume the one in Little Havana is still there because it has some historic value to the Cuban community.  Of the other 5, 4 have been demolished and 1 is now a store with the club interior presumably demolished.

That's an amazing track record.  Perhaps some sort of Biblical message about sin?  :)

Yes it is, Repent the end is near.  :eek:

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, miamijimf said:

Yes it is, Repent the end is near.  :eek:

I will never let the season 1-4 score die. Slowly but surely, MV lives! :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crockettt said:

@airtommy do you know when Frankie & Johnny's was demolished?

I know it was not there in 2003. I lived in Fort Lauderdale for one year then and it was not there.

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, airtommy said:

One more:

Fire and Ice - Miami Design District - Dutch Oven - building is still there

“Brothers Keeper” - Omni club?

9 hours ago, Crockettt said:

@airtommy do you know when Frankie & Johnny's was demolished?

If I'm looking at the right building, it was there in the 1995 sat pic and gone in the 1999 sat pic.  It was on the south side of SE 17th St @ SE 15th Ave in Fort Lauderdale.

6 hours ago, Matt5 said:

“Brothers Keeper” - Omni club?

To the best of our knowledge, that was a fake night club, right? 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, airtommy said:

If I'm looking at the right building, it was there in the 1995 sat pic and gone in the 1999 sat pic.  It was on the south side of SE 17th St @ SE 15th Ave in Fort Lauderdale.

To the best of our knowledge, that was a fake night club, right? 

Yes wasn’t some of the nightclub scenes for the Pilot also shot in the old Mansion (1235 now closed) that we see in “Knock Knock...Who’s There?” And others.

11 hours ago, Matt5 said:

Yes wasn’t some of the nightclub scenes for the Pilot also shot in the old Mansion (1235 now closed) that we see in “Knock Knock...Who’s There?” And others.

Yeah, there were tons in South Beach, but I wondering about suburban clubs/bars.

Another one:  "Suzanne's in the Grove" - Coconut Grove - Evan - gone, converted to a residential apartment

Nice view of the Port Bridge from the mini marina on Watson Island.  Rare to see both the Courthouse and Freedom Tower in same shot.

31353937887_5cdfa40d13_h.thumb.jpg.aea312ebcd490674d87cb28eef05b08d.jpg

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 3

Never thought I would see this.  Massive 7.7 magnitude earthquake between Cuba and Jamaica felt in Miami.  No known damage or injuries but several buildings on Brickell, Govt. Center etc were evacuated as a precaution.  Lots of reports of people feeling the shaking, especialy those in tall buildings..

EPZvDX4WoAAjNX2.jpg.004963a499fdc357d957c36b2823771c.jpg

The guys are surprised.

large.21432708_10155077072572545_2376404772744889263_n.jpg.a2351619fb0f3910a76c092b6e136827.thumb.jpg.b5d75e63a27995a92fc20fe0752ac773.jpg

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This was sent to me yesterday - a current day  from the Venetian Causeway looking to the MacArthur Cswy at dusk - it’s been enhanced the photo by editing it looks like but Beautiful nonetheless.:hippie:

A62A04DF-3831-48C4-816E-B3F4D8ECCD5E.jpeg

• Like 1

One of mine from last week - the Hillsboro Inlet and lighthouse we see in “Phil the Shill” filmed way up in Hillsboro Beach on the A1A just before Boca.:cheers:

AFEE3939-E571-48E7-98A6-3B310E8FBE69.jpeg

• Like 2

If it wasn't for Barbara Capitman and her friends all of SOBE would look like this - modern looking high rise condos and hotels.

49431311192_077d3d5a06_h.thumb.jpg.0b0c74a55ce4d4bce64ab7b17447e65f.jpg

• Like 1

Miami Beach, Washington Avenue 1982. Opposite is the Royal Hotel site and the corner of 8th street we see in “El Viego” aka as The Old Man. 

217D8000-BDBC-4FB5-B0F3-2AD9B9BA2910.jpeg

54324A6F-E00F-4726-A06C-9A768AC47B62.jpeg

• Like 2

18 hours ago, miamijimf said:

If it wasn't for Barbara Capitman and her friends all of SOBE would look like this - modern looking high rise condos and hotels.

49431311192_077d3d5a06_h.thumb.jpg.0b0c74a55ce4d4bce64ab7b17447e65f.jpg

this is the forever question, should capitalism be controlled, or not. for me it's pretty much obvious it should. because human mischievousness is endless

3 hours ago, jpaul1 said:

this is the forever question, should capitalism be controlled, or not. for me it's pretty much obvious it should. because human mischievousness is endless

The question is really how much control.  There’s no absolutely free market in any nation of the world.  Even failed governments like Somalia’s have some influence over the market, at least in Mogadishu.  There’s also no absolute command economy.  North Korea has a significant black market in DVDs, for example.  These are both theoretical positions on a spectrum of economic controls.

All the world’s advanced economies have significant controls in place via monetary and tax policies among others.  The question, once again is: what level of control is acceptable or popular?  The answer is what the electorate chooses ultimately.

Most private property, in the case of real estate, is also in the public space by its nature.  It is adjacent to a public space, such as a road, sidewalk, or square, on at least one side.  There are exceptions.  It becomes a balancing act in historic communities.  The individual structures, privately owned, together make up the character of the public space shared by all of society.  Again, it returns to what level of control, not a yes or no answer.

i think it relays too on the fact about what money represents in our world. for the most it means the ending of suffering. thus most of commercial choices are quick made, without much thinking. we are seing the consequences of this everyday. where there's not a single day, where a supposed harmless substance is suddenly classified as dangerous. and this is why i'm for a universal revenue. that would give to anyone the possibility to live without worrying about the money aspect. Man wouldn't see anymore the future as a run to money, but a run to spirituality, in all freedom. but this is a bit OT