McBurnie Daytona 1/24 model build

ZAQ 178

8 hours ago, Dadrian said:

You just might have to fly this thing out to @volobrian‘s for some forced aspect side-by-sides when they get the Daytona back. :cool:

Now that would be cool too! I’ll be in Miami for a few days in May. Staying at the Carlyle on Ocean Dr on South Beach. Where is the Volo car located?

• Like 1

I won’t lie, this made me very nervous... this is the first model I’ve ever wet sanded & polished the paint (it already looked good). 1500 grit wet sanding & then Meguires #2 & #3 polishing and wax. Nailed it! This black finish is glowing! Never stop learning!  The pics don’t do this McBurnie build justice!

C8FCDDCC-75E7-4629-BC24-2562278C0D8F.jpeg

C87A5976-BC21-4CBD-A9CC-E9DC72721E4A.jpeg

103B27E7-2476-4375-918B-1B379C2668DC.jpeg

873CCDAA-BE78-439C-BD58-3D9B31B4528D.jpeg

71C84178-4431-4686-82E7-DC8E3DE86FD1.jpeg

Edited by ZAQ 178
  • Like 2

Good comparison of how the interior comes in the Vice model out of the box (left) and how it should look (right) when you really put the custom touch to it. If you’re going to do a Vice Model you better do it right or not at all.

2C173331-40B7-4C06-BB11-B7EFD9D0938F.jpeg

0F17D48E-69DF-4545-BE55-0D602C2C9DDE.jpeg

• Like 2

21 hours ago, ZAQ 178 said:

Is the headlight bucket area in front of the headlights painted silver or chrome?

I'm not sure I am understanding your question  but when my headlight cover is down and the lenses are visible, they are surrounded by black fiberglass.  Attached is a fairly recent view of the Camera Car today and I don't see any chrome other than the reflective mirror of each headlight lens. 5a9da8743bf80_Nose20of20the20camera20car20today.jpg.d4517a17d3d8d3d1251fdf01aeed10f8.jpg

Edited by Sonny-Burnett
  • Like 1

Ok so flat area in front of the headlights/inside the headlight bucket area is black then. It has a chrome look but it might be the reflection of the plexi/headlights making it look so. I’ll leave the headlight buckets on the model black.

Just now, ZAQ 178 said:

Ok so flat area in front of the headlights/inside the headlight bucket area is black then. It has a chrome look but it might be the reflection of the plexi/headlights making it look so. I’ll leave the headlight buckets on the model black.

I do believe it is a reflection, but you could always PM CameraDaytona for confirmation . I do know the bucket area on mine is solid black. Otherwise if I am running the headlights before it is really dark and that area is painted chrome I think it would jump out and not at all look Ferrari-like. 

• Like 1

I have Cameras email. If he don’t respond by end the the day I’ll send an email his way but I think you’re right & that area is black.

20 hours ago, ZAQ 178 said:

I have Cameras email. If he don’t respond by end the the day I’ll send an email his way but I think you’re right & that area is black.

The area in front of the headlights in the headlight bucket area is painted gloss black.  It reflects the headlights and it's hard to tell the color until you look closely.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CameraDaytona said:

The area in front of the headlights in the headlight bucket area is painted gloss black.  It reflects the headlights and it's hard to tell the color until you look closely.

Thank you again CD!

The Daytona has headlights, motor is in w/ details & working on the exhaust. I just couldn’t use black valve covers for this project though as too much black hides details so I went chrome. Pay no mind to the huge hole in the bellhousing. I had to notch things for clearance lol. Also. I pulled a bone head move notching the chassis for the exhaust... I notched the wrong side & now the exhaust will run up the wrong side of the car. I screwed up something so simple lol.

EBBC715A-4017-4D2C-8241-613ADF40E1D6.jpeg

BF4CBB9F-620F-4DD0-9C1F-0AC61145C575.jpeg

2F4524CB-9035-4D7D-A60C-FEA95B03F706.jpeg

134DA587-4C93-42D0-9F92-6FA86B2EEE06.jpeg

• Like 2

I side window frame trim is now done. I didn’t originally plan on doing this but what the hell right? It’s all custom made but I used the sun visors from the Vette model.

02FC085B-6138-4A29-B6DA-55DDF0E5D206.jpeg

82AA00A4-BE1B-45CA-A6E7-CAA7792D05AD.jpeg

34388D57-B04C-48B8-B860-51D266DD7A1B.jpeg

• Like 3

I like what you did with the engine and the under-body.:thumbsup:

I wouldn't get too hung up on the under-body exhaust pipe placement, as long as you get the 2 twin tailpipes in the correct position at the inside of each bumper. (mine is recessed a bit too far inward to match up to the Camera Car's location).  

Edited by Sonny-Burnett
  • Thanks 1

So awesome!

I made really cool backdrop for my Testarossa model. I will share a pic with you. Maybe I could help with something like that for your Daytona, or maybe you already have something in mind. 

• Like 1

On 3/10/2018 at 2:13 PM, ZAQ 178 said:

Thank you SB!! Any good shots of the tailpipes & their placement? That’s next on the list. Almost finished!

Hm I looked and don't seem to have any Car4 closeups of the rear end. There may be some in the Ferrari thread however as there is a shot of the car parked in front of a hotel that shows part of the rear end. Just can't seem to find it. I just know its tailpipes are positioned further away from center than mine, giving them a wider appearance. 

Your car is LOOKING GOOD! :thumbsup:

Edited by Sonny-Burnett
  • Like 1

Thanx Pal! :cool:

I’ll keeping looking for the tailpipe placement photos as it’s one of the few things left. I think I recall them being set more inward with the inner of the 2 dual tailpipes in line the the inside of the chrome rear bumpers. @CameraDaytona  Can you shed light on this detail?