What Songs Do You hate?

Ferrariman

On 3/6/2018 at 9:08 AM, Ferrariman said:

I was going to post this in  "What Are You Listening To Right Now?"  but that would spin the topic in a totally different direction and that would be hijacking a topic. 

I was born in the 50's so I grew up with music from the 60's and 70's before we reached the incredible 80's but there are some songs or artists that I listened to then that I absolutely can't stand anymore.  Now just remember this is my opinion only. I'm sure many won't agree with me and that's fine. So at the risk of ruffling some feathers here is a short list of songs that make me dive for the channel button on my stereo when I hear them!

My number 1  "Hotel California" by the Eagles      Played to death on the radio,  this song has simply worn out it's welcome.

"Stairway to Heaven"  by Led Zepplin   I never quite understood why it was so great except that it was by Zepplin.  

Anything else by Zepplin

Anything by the Beatles

That's a start. There will be more to come. What's your favorite "love to hate" song?

F'man, I was always shy to say I hated everything by Zeppelin (well, everything but Kashmir...). I can see I am not alone! Cool topic!

James and Remington mentioned the word "overrated". I have personal issues with overrated bands, so I would have to confess I cannot stand Rolling Stones either. Other than that, I'd list Queen and Rush.  Oh yeah, and I am a Brazilian that profoundly hates Bossa Nova.

Thinking about Miami Vice, there are some tracks that I really hate: "Gun Law" by Kane Gang, all El DeBarge tracks, and "Inspiration" by Gypsy Kings.

To make things fair and more fun, I'd like to give fans of the bands and artists I've mentioned an easy opportunity to take a "revenge". I'll give you an easy one... Among things I love most, one is surely hated by many: Prog Rock. Go on with what you have to do :D

• 2 months later...

Topic may be a little dead, but let me chime in... I get sick of "Hotel California", "More than a Feeling", anything Pink Floyd (especially The Wall Pt. 2), any rap at all, '90s rap, especially the kind that samples songs from the glorious '80s, anything modern, meaning pop, country, rap, rock.

And the worst? Soft, acoustic "coffehouse" music. That makes me want to throw a child out a window.

56 minutes ago, pmconroy said:

Topic may be a little dead, but let me chime in... I get sick of "Hotel California", "More than a Feeling", anything Pink Floyd (especially The Wall Pt. 2), any rap at all, '90s rap, especially the kind that samples songs from the glorious '80s, anything modern, meaning pop, country, rap, rock.

And the worst? Soft, acoustic "coffehouse" music. That makes me want to throw a child out a window.

:) :) :) 

this thread is out of control :blind:

• Haha 1

On 3/6/2018 at 7:08 AM, Ferrariman said:

"Stairway to Heaven"  by Led Zepplin   I never quite understood why it was so great except that it was by Zepplin. 

I know this post is a couple months old now but YES, that song is ridiculously overrated. I like some of Zeppelin's other greats like Rock N' Roll and Immigrant Song but never much cared for Stairway to Heaven and it's overplayed to death.

The Wall Pt. 2 by Pink Floyd - I used to like the song but it seems like anytime a Classic Rock station plays a Pink Floyd song it's this one. Grows old real fast.

Heaven is a Place on Earth by Belinda Carlisle  - Forgot what furniture company used it but I saw the commercial so many times the song is ruined for me because every time I hear it I see images of furniture and price tags in my head.

Escape (The Pina Colada Song) by Rupert Holmes - No, I don't like getting caught in the rain.

Closer by Nine Inch Nails - I love Nine Inch Nails but this is like the Stairway to Heaven of NIN. So many great songs by them but you can be sure if you log into the Pandora station for NIN 90% of the time this song will be playing.

Writing's On the Wall by Sam Smith - Can't make a list like this without at least mentioning the one Bond song I find worse than Madonna's Die Another Day. Sappy, unBondian dreck that really needs to make EON Productions rethink how they pick songs for the Bond films.

Also in general never cared for Bruce Springsteen or Billy Joel.

• Administrators
3 hours ago, agent 47 said:

Writing's On the Wall by Sam Smith - Can't make a list like this without at least mentioning the one Bond song I find worse than Madonna's Die Another Day. Sappy, unBondian dreck that really needs to make EON Productions rethink how they pick songs for the Bond films.

Also in general never cared for Bruce Springsteen or Billy Joel.

I agree. Poor choice for a Bond song.  

Even though I'm from New Jersey I've never cared for Springsteen. I have heard that he gives one hell of a concert though, playing for at least 4 hours.  

Liked the old Billy Joel tunes but he lost me when he started with the "Uptown Girl" crap.

As a musician I am very particular about the music I like. I always loved anything by Frank Sinatra because of the quality of his voice and the orchestrations.

Jazz is also one of my favorite styles of music especially that of Duke Ellington , Count Basie, Stan Getz etc.

Songs by the Beatles & Eagles are great but because of the constant playing on the radio for decades, I understand why people tire of them. The guitar solo in Hotel California is excellent!!

Our daughter took us to see Billy Joel & Neil Diamond last year...........both performers were nothing short of "Fantastic" so I can't agree with Ferrariman on his opinion of Joel.

New songs in the last few years are very repetitious both in lyrics & musically.

Rap = crap

That's all for now!

21 minutes ago, Tommy Vercetti said:

Anything by Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus, Katy Perry, Oasis

I agree Miles Cyrus does terrible stuff.

I'm gonna be (500 miles) by Proclaimers. Screw novelty songs.

Everyone saying Hotel California is on point.:thumbsup:

I’m pretty sure this tops everything that’s been mentioned so far. This is, was, and always will be the most cringeworthy song ever:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dadrian said:

I’m pretty sure this tops everything that’s been mentioned so far. This is, was, and always will be the most cringeworthy song ever:

Well I do like some country but this definitely wouldn't make the list. I would also include anything by Dolly Parton in the cringeworthy category.

Her voice is like nails on the chalkboard, at least to me.  

But for me I think the booby prize goes to Katrina and the Waves, Walking on Sunshine.  :sick:

• Haha 1

On 5/21/2018 at 4:25 AM, Tommy Vercetti said:

Anything by Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus, Katy Perry, Oasis

Agree on all those but Oasis. Lol love them.

1 hour ago, Remington said:

So underrated. Go Let It Out, Who Feels Love?, Gas Panic!, Where Did It All Go Wrong?, and Roll It Over. Great stuff.

Yes! Great stuff!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

Yes! Great stuff!

And I know it gets a lot of flack for being too long, but I love Be Here Now as well. Lol probably not the right thread for this.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2018 at 12:14 PM, Dadrian said:

This is a fun song ...........I play this song but not as hillbilly as Brooks & Dunn!

25 minutes ago, Tony D. said:

This is a fun song ...........I play this song but not as hillbilly as Brooks & Dunn!

Few things are a hillbilly as Brooks and Dunn :) 

19 hours ago, Remington said:

Agree on all those but Oasis. Lol love them.

I agree although I don’t listen to Oasis - they have done some good songs.:fireworks:

• Like 1

Oh boy, we've opened Pandora's Box, lol. For the past 10-12 years now I have been growing more and more tired of Journey's "Don't Stop Believing" and Bon Jovi's "Livin' on a Prayer". I have heard these songs everywhere I go and on the radio so much that by 2009-2010 I came up with a new term that I honestly wish would be put into effect:

"Retirement From Public Airwaves"

This means that certain songs are put onto a list that means they aren't heard on the radio (either terrestrial or satellite), or used in tv shows or movies. Same goes for jukeboxes in bars and also sporting events. If you wanna hear these songs, you gotta buy them and then you can listen to them on your own time. Call me a music snob, but I'd love to see just how often I'd hear those 2 aforementioned songs if this was put into practice, lol. Seriously, if I was a member of either of those bands, I'd be annoyed that those are the only songs they play. As an artist, at least with integrity. For all I know they're laughing all the way to the bank in residuals...or maybe only their producers are, lol.

I actually started coming up with this idea subconsciously throughout the 90's and into the 2000's as one of my favorite songs, Desiree's "You Gotta Be" kept on being played over, and over, and over, and over again. To the point where I simply cannot listen to it anymore. Worse is, the song doesn't fit into any particular category (soft rock, pop, r&b, adult contemporary), so EVERY station plays it.

Worse had to be when I worked at a particular retail chain for a year and a half some time ago, and no joke, it was literally the same 80-100 songs every....single...day. Almost in the same damn order too. Worse yet? It was mostly 90's pop. And the songs I hated hearing as a kid during the 90's were shoved into my ears as this place every single day without fail. No joke, sometimes I'd be in a bad mood, hear the song, literally drop what I was doing and walk to the back and go into the bathroom and stand there and watch the clock, waiting for 3 minutes to pass before going back to work. When I was alone later into the shift every night, I'd turn off the radio and put on my ipod. Some time after quitting this job I went into the store down in Florida, and no joke, THE SAME SONGS!!! I actually almost laughed, knowing that shoppers are subjected to the same horrible music no matter what state they live in, lol.

Probably the worse thing of all was that it was a lose-lose situation. The songs from the 90's I liked? I now hate them from hearing them every day for a year a half. The songs I already hated? I hate them even more. I was just grateful they didn't play any rap music or spice girls.

When I was in Florida last week, I heard the same songs on a lot of the same stations as well. I remember years back, Adam Carolla was complaining that Sirius XM only plays the same 50-60 hit songs from the decade. It really is a sad state for music when you think about it. Today's music absolutely blows, but by the other stations only playing the same hit songs all the time, it really gives young people the impression that "This was all there was from that time", when that couldn't be further from the truth. I'd say music as an artform is a dying artform, but thankfully I listen to so much non-labeled produced music from so many different genres, that I still hold out hope. I just think at this point, more venues and ways to find music has made us as a culture lose our ability to all like one thing.

Truth is, I like more music than I hate, so I'll just list what's never played on my ipod:

- Rap (though I do like the early stuff from the early-mid 80's. Basically everything until the "Gansta" stuff started)

- Country (Bruce Hornsby and Michael Tomlinson are the closest I get).

- Religious. I had to sit through that stuff every Sunday until I was 17 and stopped going. I *might* give a pass to the very rare instance that I'll listen to Gregorian chants

Blues, but I'll listen to Stevie Ray Vaughn with my dad since it's something we share, and cuz that guy was a BEAST!!

* Old timey Jazz, but I put this last because I LOVE Smooth Jazz. It's basically everything up until the mid 70's that I simply can't get into.

Edited by TylerDurden389
  • Like 1

• Administrators

I was listening to some random oldies on Spotify last night, when Steppenwolf - Born to Be Wild started playing. It was then that I realised that I actually hate it and cannot stand that song anymore. Just another one of those "overplayed" songs I suppose. 

23 hours ago, James said:

I was listening to some random oldies on Spotify last night, when Steppenwolf - Born to Be Wild started playing. It was then that I realised that I actually hate it and cannot stand that song anymore. Just another one of those "overplayed" songs I suppose. 

Did you like it on the Miami Vice episode ?

• Administrators
59 minutes ago, Tony D. said:

Did you like it on the Miami Vice episode ?

I wouldn't say I liked nor hated it, I really don't think anything of it other than "meh, this song..."

Oasis are one of my least favourite bands. I hate their arrogant personalties and probably the fans more than the actual music. I don't know who else to mention that provokes a reaction. I'm able to ignore all popular music and rarely listen to the radio. Suppose I hate grunge music, heavy metal, nu-metal, moshpits. All those Blink 182 type bands from the late 90's and early 2000's make me feel sick to my stomach. It brings back memories of nightclubs I use to get dragged to as a teenager and young were I felt out of place and not made to feel welcome.

• Like 1