How did your Miami Vice obsession begin?

BunMVO

I'm 21 years old and I discovered Miami Vice last year. The precursor to all this was in November 2014 when I watched Scarface the first time, and I loved the '80s Miami style and the clothes too. How it began was, embarrassingly, I used to kind of like the whole "vaporwave" thing in December 2016 when I discovered that. It has the retro feel with the pink and blue and the '80s feel. Then one day in February 2017 I was watching a documentary about the '80s called "The Eighties" and that specific episode was about the television of the era. When they started talking about Miami Vice and famous "In the Air Tonight" scene, it piqued my interest. So I got the series a couple months later and began watching it. I fell so deeply in love with it. The music, the clothing, the visual style, the acting, the dialogue, all of it. I couldn't get enough. And it became an all-consuming addiction (there's worse things to be addicted to :D). The rest is history.

How did you love of Miami Vice begin?

• Like 1

On 7/5/2018 at 8:58 PM, pmconroy said:

I'm 21 years old and I discovered Miami Vice last year. The precursor to all this was in November 2014 when I watched Scarface the first time, and I loved the '80s Miami style and the clothes too. How it began was, embarrassingly, I used to kind of like the whole "vaporwave" thing in December 2016 when I discovered that. It has the retro feel with the pink and blue and the '80s feel. Then one day in February 2017 I was watching a documentary about the '80s called "The Eighties" and that specific episode was about the television of the era. When they started talking about Miami Vice and famous "In the Air Tonight" scene, it piqued my interest. So I got the series a couple months later and began watching it. I fell so deeply in love with it. The music, the clothing, the visual style, the acting, the dialogue, all of it. I couldn't get enough. And it became an all-consuming addiction (there's worse things to be addicted to :D). The rest is history.

How did you love of Miami Vice begin?

I saw one episode in 2000, and absolutely loved Tubbs. And I started  to warch MV because of him. It's a shame, that produsssers did't love him and did bad things with his hero.

• Like 1

I have the faintest memories of being 4/5 years old and watching Miami Vice and The Equaliser with my grandmother while she babysat me probably around 1986-87. Every time the theme songs would play I'd dance in the living room. Probably my earilist memories of listening and appreciating music. 

Fast forward to around 2000-01 I discovere the repeats on British tv cable channel (Granda Plus) which aired nothing but classic American tv shows. They had A-Team, Magnum, Chips etc all on during the daytime and Miami Vice scheduled at 4 a bloody clock in the morning, one episode every day. I was a bit of an insomniac, still am which also explains why I still sometimes watch wrestling. 

I think I was watching those Miami Vice repeats at the exact same time the producers at Rockstar (Scottish) will have had the idea to develop GTA: Vice City. I remember seeing one of them be interviewed, probably Dan Houser and him talking how cool Miami Vice was and how he was obsessed with the series. I believe Granda Plus is responsible for that game being made.

Became a member of the old .org site in 2003, posted a few times and then found my way here. 

• Like 1

I became a Miami Vice fan as early as 1986-87, when it first aired here in Germany. I'm not sure when exactly I fell in love with it, because naturally it's difficult to think back to when I was only twelve years old, but by the spring of 1987 when MV was into the middle of season 1 on TV here, it grew on me a little more every week. And by the end of that year, I was a die hard fan who was collecting newspaper snippets and youth magazine articles about it. And while everybody else's love for the show was waning when they started showing season three, I was not put off by it in the least, and Don Johnson really became one of my idols when I was about 14, 15.

Then in my adult life, it was kind of an off and on thing, I can't say I was ever not a fan of the show, and it had a lasting influence on my taste in music, clothing and style. But it was just something that was a bit more in the back of my head, like, "Yeah, those were the days". But in recent years, I've felt more and more drawn to it again. I guess many people kind of always come back to the things they  loved in their youth, like the music, style, and many other things that were en vogue back then.

And I guess everybody feels that way more or less, but I have to say that I'm kind of proud that I was growing up during the time when Miami Vice was in its original run. It's awesome though that people like pmconroy who were born many years after the show carry on that tradition, because it means that Miami Vice is still relevant today. And it means the tradition will live on, and has lived on.

Edited by Daytona74

Saw it way back in 2008. I liked it but did not begin to obsess over it right away. In 2010 however I rediscovered Vice City for myself. Then bought Vice City Stories. In 2011 I decided to check out what is this Miami Vice these games were inspired by. Got season 1 and 2 for Christmas Eve and popped in pilot episodes DVD. And so I was gone. 

Another thing that makes Vice special for me is my own family history. My father was sort of a smuggler in USSR during the 80s. We have this hotel in Tallinn named Viru. It was built in 1972 and meant for only tourists. However smarter men, like my father started making connections. They bought and sold things like clothes, jeans, jewelry to people who needed them and obtained foreign currency like dollars from Finnish tourists through deals. Most of these men were athletes who also visited foreign countries, but also future buisness men and big time criminals. They were known as Viru dealers.

Owning such items or currency was considered a crime in USSR in eyes of the Soviet regime. I still am trying to learn more about all of this myself. 

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 7:58 PM, pmconroy said:

I'm 21 years old and I discovered Miami Vice last year.

Always nice to see young people getting attached to something that ended before they were even born. I think that says a lot about the relevance of Miami Vice which is being disussed in this post.

I got hooked to it myself during it's original run in Europe 1985, when I was 13 years old. I went to a friends place after school, who had taped the pilot on VHS the night before. It wasn't long before all the boys at my school including myself started wearing white suits with pastel shirts and slicking their hair their back. It was hilarious. The unprecedented feeling and atmosphere of this show that fascinated me from the first second has been following me through my life ever since, whether it comes to preferences in clothing, music, cars, drinks, architecture, colors or vacation destinations or simply enjoying a night drive along a shoreline in my convertible with the wind in my hair.

• Like 2

Cool stories here ...

In my case, in France, the tv show airs in 1986 ... I was 11 years old and immediatly liked it ...

I watch the show often on dvd. 

Miami Vice 4 Ever !!!

Edited by Kladdagh
  • Like 1

I first saw MV in 2010 at the age of 12. A member of this community commented on a YouTube video of Licence to Kill (one of my favorite Bond films) that this film felt more like MV and that that was a good thing.

I'd been a fan of GTA Vice City and Scarface is possibly my favorite film so naturally I had to check out the series. I was broke so I had to wait for it to start over on TV. This is when the show was still running on Centric. Well, I saw the pilot and fell in love. The music, the cinematography, the setting, the characters, and the overall vibe just felt special. I've always been an 80s fan so that's not really surprising.

It's still my favorite show along with The Sopranos, Sons of Anarchy, and Animal Kingdom. I've managed to get a few other people hooked on MV over the years. I'm not watching it as much as I was a couple of years ago but I'll always love it.

:cool::thumbsup:

Been a fan of MV since 84. To be alive in the 80’s & experience the way culture was then is something you guys missed out on. No worries, you found your way here & that’s all that matters now. My mom is solely responsible for my MV addiction lol. I was 9 when Vice came out. 42 this year.

This might be sacrilege but I saw the 2006 MV movie way before the TV show.:D

Always heard good things about the show but only started getting into it in 2012.

I was at the end of middle school when Miami Vice debuted, as I've described in other threads, and was immediately drawn to the show.  So were just about all of my friends, and everyone was talking about it.  It was, quite simply, HUGE.  It looked and sounded like current music videos.  It had cool cars and boats.  It was in an exotic location and spotlighted it effectively.  I have to say, there were other shows at the time that I enjoyed for similar reasons.  I remember watching Tales of the Gold Monkey, Riptide, and Magnum PI because of exotic locations, cool boats and cars, etc...  In fact, I think they all influenced the way I live my life today.  I made a conscious decision to live my life at the coast, living a life in and on the water.  Today my family and I live at a marina where we sail and swim and dive and paddle.  We surf and enjoy beach activities, including camping at beaches up and down the west coast in a 30 year old VW Westphalia.  We also have a convertible and enjoy listening to music as we cruise down the coast top down.  I wasn't born and raised in such a setting, but at some point it became a priority for me.  I feel fortunate to have this lifestyle, and Miami Vice was definitely a part of the journey that lead me here.    

To be honest, I wasn't actually watching the show by time I was a high school senior, probably losing interest in the late third or early fourth season.  There were various reasons for this, sports, work, social activities, the approach of college, and the like.  I began watching it again about 10 years ago in syndication and found this forum shortly after.  I don't think I would call MV an obsession personally, but I enjoy these discussions and revisiting episodes of MV as well as many of those older shows now available on DVD.  :)

Edited by pahonu

Mine began in 1984 when I was in college and saw the first episode.  I was 22 years old.  The show hit my nerves in a positive way.  As I have said in other posts Friday night date night began after watching Miami Vice in the tv room of my dormitory with dozens of other fans. The music, the carefully crafted story lines, the clothing was so cool.  It was a revolution and I was glad to be alive to see this show as it aired. I was without a doubt a Sonny Crockett imitator in my clothing style.  Had to put my passion aside in the 1990s as the Grudge look became the new fashion and i felt so out of place wearing pastel clothing.  Then 10 years ago I found this site and it was the 1980s all over again for me. This is the only social site where I feel like I have a great extended family and can have fun. 

• Like 2

Started watching as a high school kid end of 1986 when the pilot aired in my country. And it blew us away. I remember that every Tuesday morning (EPS aired on Monday night) we were discussing in school which songs were used. Specifically I recall the day that "Out where the buses don't run" was on as we all had bought the Dire Straits album. One year later when last season 2 episodes aired, I bought my first VCR and recorded every episode. Beginning of 90s shortly after series end, I spent one year in Miami as part of a student exchange and hunted down locations in my spare time. Watching VICE today lets me realize that it is still way ahead of many other series in cinematography, music and style and undoubtedly THE revolutionary series for TV of all time. Show someone who doesn't know VICE the "In the air tonight " sequence and tell him that was 1984 and the reaction will speak for itself. Many young fans here are younger than the series and they find it groundbreaking despite lots of competitive contemporary programs!

Edited by Tom
  • Like 2

• Administrators
16 hours ago, ZAQ 178 said:

Been a fan of MV since 84. To be alive in the 80’s & experience the way culture was then is something you guys missed out on. No worries, you found your way here & that’s all that matters now. My mom is solely responsible for my MV addiction lol. I was 9 when Vice came out. 42 this year.

I was also fortunate to have lived through it.  I turned 30 the year Vice came out. I was immediately hooked by the TV commercials prior to the shows debut and I wasn't disappointed when I finally saw it!  It was simply like nothing else on TV. The true definition of "groundbreaking"   We've all seen dozens of cop shows where one of the main characters gets shot but they always managed to pull through. Well, when Rodriguez got shot and died at the end of "Hit List" I knew I was on to something special!

The shows fashion had a huge impact and I remember many upscale restaurants posting signs outside saying "No Miami Vice"!  These were shirt and tie establishments and if you showed up with a t-shirt and suit jacket they would turn you away!  I love the fact that you still see the t-shirt / suit jacket everywhere today!

• Like 2

I don't remember when, I started watching the show, unfortunately. But I do remember why! :) Because of Don Johnson. =)

The actor, I then didn't know by the name of Don Johnson, later bought the DVD boxset, which I randomly came by in a mall. And then of course, watching all of the episode and being on this site discovered all of the other great things about it! 

Edited by summer84
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, summer84 said:

I don't remember when, I started watching the show, unfortunately. But I do remember why! :) Because of Don Johnson. =)

The actor, I then didn't know by the name of Don Johnson, later bought the DVD boxset, which I randomly came by in a mall. And then of course, watching all of the episode and being on this site discovered all of the other great things about it! 

Great post summer -we had never seen anything like Miami Vice before. 

I remember being struck by Hammer’s score and how episodes ended with not a happy ending. Which at that time in 1984 was not the norm.

• Like 1

BTW ... I wish to thanks my sister very mutch by this site ...

It's because of her I know Miami Vice ...

She lives in the US and she talked to me about the TV show ..

Without her, probably, I couldn't "know" this terrific show ...

So, THANKS SISTER ... :-) ... 

• Administrators

The year was 2010. I was 16 years old. I was skipping school and was watching daytime TV, I used to really enjoy watching Magnum PI in those days, and Miami Vice played right after. I had heard of Miami Vice at the time through GTA Vice City and the movie of course (which I remember watching with my Dad back in 2006, back when Blockbuster was a thing), so I thought I'd give it a little watch. I believe "Yankee Dollar" was the first episode I watched. My earliest Vice memory was seeing Crockett & Tubbs outside of Sara Davis' house. I recall looking up Miami Vice fashion on Google afterwards where I think I actually stumbled onto this very website back when it was vBulletin. :) Though I didn't sign up then, I signed up in 2013. 

Though I wasn't hooked yet, I just casually watched some of it, it wasn't until 2013 I decided to watch the whole series, I can't remember why, I just did. Been hooked ever since.

• Like 3

A nod to Summer84 ;)....one look at Don Johnson and I was hooked!  :happy:

But also, I just loved the vibe of it all. It was the slickest, coolest tv show and a lot of my friends watched it too.  I used to record the episodes so I wouldn't miss them cause I was usually out on Friday nights. :dance:  

Love reading all the personal stories! 

I gotta say, for me it was all because of Don Johnson, that one look. :) Cause I'm generally not into crime shows and so that "made me" to get interested. Of course Miami Vice isn't the typical crime investigation, where someone dies and they have to find the killer. It shows the characters personal life's, emotions and struggles, where it isn't just an episode all about solving a case and I especially like that. I've looked at the site before, but first joined here, when I found the wolfsons archives through the YouTube clip Miami Vice 30 years later end credits and had to share! Watching the show, I was inspired to buy clothes with certain colors I liked on MV in a period and a white jacket, pants and white shoes, where I felt like Crockett being all in white for summer time. :) 2 or 3 years ago bought a shirt with a similar color from the episode "Bought and Paid for". My second favorite Crockett's shirt. 

Edited by summer84
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, summer84 said:

I gotta say, for me it was all because of Don Johnson, that one look. :) Cause I'm generally not into crime shows and so that "made me" to get interested. Of course Miami Vice isn't the typical crime investigation, where someone dies and they have to find the killer. It shows the characters personal life's, emotions and struggles, where it isn't just an episode all about solving a case and I especially like that. I've looked at the site before, but first joined here, when I found the wolfsons archives through the YouTube clip Miami Vice 30 years later end credits and had to share! Watching the show, I was inspired to buy clothes with certain colors I liked on MV in a period and a white jacket, pants and white shoes, where I felt like Crockett being all in white for summer time. :) 2 or 3 years ago bought a shirt with a similar color from the episode "Bought and Paid for". My second favorite Crockett's shirt. 

Great post Summer - but you also love Gina and Trudy right?!

7 minutes ago, Matt5 said:

Great post Summer - but you also love Gina and Trudy right?!

All of the Vice squad characters are great. I have mentioned before, that Gina /Saundra is my favorite Vice actress. 

• Like 2