How did your Miami Vice obsession begin?

BunMVO

I should add that I stayed interested in Vice partly because I was impressed with the way airtommy, Tom and the other guys and gals were so good at finding locations.  I took it up as a challenge and tried to be as clever (unsuccessfully I might add) at finding spots.  Location trivia was fun.  For a while I even thought those sleuths were secretly CIA types who did this sort of thing for training.

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 1

On 8/10/2018 at 9:24 AM, White Ferrari said:

I was at the London's Piccadilly Theater and Don was part of the cast of Guys and Dolls. After show I met him at the dark back alley (just like scene in Miami Vice:D) and we had a short conversation and he was really cool,  nice and funny. After that I was running like crazy in London night couldn't believe what just had happened:dance2:

I have signed picture vinyl to share with you guys!

Awesome story and moment with DJ! I can only imagine, how great it must have been. :fireworks:

Would love to see the signed vinyl! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

On 8/9/2018 at 10:26 PM, Stinger390X said:

My obsession started from day one as I watched the show from the first night it aired. (I hated Dallas)

When I saw "The Great McCarthy" (season one episode eight) I fell in love with the boat and decided back then I would someday own that boat. It only took me 20 years, but I found one and bought it. I have owned it for over a dozen years now and still enjoy it immensely!

I have been looking for a Daytona for over a decade but have only found junk or overpriced candy! I thought I was close to a deal back in April of this year and it turned out to be a scam! Still looking and hope to get a Daytona in the next year or so.

This is a picture of me in the bay near my Marina taken from the flybridge of my buddy's boat next to me. Taking out some ladies for a ride from Texas visiting Niagara

Pam1.jpg

LOVE THE  BOAT, MY FAVORITE OVER THE WELLCRAFT. JUST BEAUTIFUL.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

About 8 years ago when I was 26. I was really into Michael Mann's films at the time, Manhunter (my favorite film), Thief, Heat etc. I love his style and I found out he was the executive producer of Miami Vice so I thought I would try it out. I fell in love with this show instantly, 1-2-3 seasons are awesome. 

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 3

• 4 months later...

I was aware of the show since I played GTA: Vice City as a pre-teen. However, it would not be until my freshman year of college (2017) that I checked the show out. I saw the first season DVD set sitting in a used media shop and I thought "why not?" I was hooked from the beginning, my ex scoffed at me for it. I suppose that was a sign, haha. Seriously though, I gradually bought the season sets throughout the year and the show helped me through a really depressing period of my life. It was one of the few good things I had at the time. Now I'm buying all the clothes and having fun!

Some other things to note, I was aware of Michael Mann since I saw Thief at a younger age. Thats my all-time favorite film actually so I was happy when I found out he was involved with this show. Also, I had seen the In The Air Tonight scene in the past on YouTube and I loved it.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Rattlehead said:

I was aware of the show since I played GTA: Vice City as a pre-teen. However, it would not be until my freshman year of college (2017) that I checked the show out. I saw the first season DVD set sitting in a used media shop and I thought "why not?" I was hooked from the beginning, my ex scoffed at me for it. I suppose that was a sign, haha. Seriously though, I gradually bought the season sets throughout the year and the show helped me through a really depressing period of my life. It was one of the few good things I had at the time. Now I'm buying all the clothes and having fun!

Some other things to note, I was aware of Michael Mann since I saw Thief at a younger age. Thats my all-time favorite film actually so I was happy when I found out he was involved with this show. Also, I had seen the In The Air Tonight scene in the past on YouTube and I loved it.

I discovered Vice the same year. I was aware of it before but not really into it. Oowee I had no idea how much of an impact it would have on my life. Sounds silly but it’s true.

• Like 2

On 7/16/2018 at 12:40 PM, summer84 said:

I gotta say, for me it was all because of Don Johnson, that one look. :) Cause I'm generally not into crime shows and so that "made me" to get interested. Of course Miami Vice isn't the typical crime investigation, where someone dies and they have to find the killer. It shows the characters personal life's, emotions and struggles, where it isn't just an episode all about solving a case and I especially like that. I've looked at the site before, but first joined here, when I found the wolfsons archives through the YouTube clip Miami Vice 30 years later end credits and had to share! Watching the show, I was inspired to buy clothes with certain colors I liked on MV in a period and a white jacket, pants and white shoes, where I felt like Crockett being all in white for summer time. :) 2 or 3 years ago bought a shirt with a similar color from the episode "Bought and Paid for". My second favorite Crockett's shirt. 

I was introduced to the show in the late '80's just as it's run on NBC was winding down. I continued to watch the re-runs and was instantly hooked. What captivated me was the music, Michael Mann's innovated style of filming, Don Johnson, EJO, the lure of South Beach and its Art Deco Architecture, the realism of the story lines. I already loved cop dramas and this show was far different from anything I had ever seen before. Real quality!

• Like 4

Love this thread!!!

I was twelve years old when the series began and the music more than anything drew me in. There was absolutely nothing like it on television. I'm still fascinated to this day.

Edited by OCBman
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

The year was 2010, I had been aware of the show since I played GTA Vice City when I was a pre teen. I got the first Season as a present, and I was hooked immediately. 2012, I bought the rest of the series, and joined this community and officially decided to start dressing the style. Coop was kinda the one who gave me the nudge to stop caring what people thought and made me think 'you do you man' ever since then I've been buying clothes similar to Crockett's and every summer is Vice time for me. I had an ex who loved to watch the show with me and fully supported me dressing the style, but sadly that boat sailed. Oh well.. Vice is a huge part of my life and it always will be, and Sonny is one of my heroes. :cool:

• Like 3

Mine began around 2002.  I knew about the show since I was in middle school when it was in prime time.  I had a friend who dressed like Sonny in 6th grade but I was never really interested in the show even though it was mainstream and hot at the time.  My friend had a paper route so he had the ability to get what he wanted since it was his money so his look was spot on.  He had all of the best GI Joes and everything else 80's.  I have always been nostalgic for the times and obviously knew about the show but I didn't start watching it until around 2002 when I was in Miami.  Of course it was syndicated on multiple Miami cable channels at the time so I watched a lot of episodes while I was there and really picked up on the lifestyles, fashions and music of the time.  This was all before streaming services and before DVDs of television shows were widely available.  I let it go and picked it back up again when I bought the series on DVD in 2007 or so.

I am not a person who watches a series over and over again (except Seinfeld) and my interest ebbed and flowed over the years until recently (last 6 months).  I have been steadily keeping interest, mainly with my nostalgia for the mid 80's.  It was the best time of my life with the fashions, break dancing, pop culture and introduction to the world of computers (my career) with the Commodore 64.  Vice fits right in because it helps define the 80's for me.  I have been reading the paper back books, streaming episodes and am finally bringing the style into my life with fashion. I also visit this forum several times daily.  I know it is a phase I am going through and I doubt I will keep dressing like Sonny Crockett as my style evolves but I do know that it is FUN right now and that's ultimately what counts.

To @Detective_Crockett's point, it does help when you have a significant other who is supportive of your desire to stand out fashion wise.  It is much easier to jump into the deep end of the pool with someone who is on the same page as you are.  I quit caring what people think about me only within the last few years and it is quite liberating.  It's a lot of fun going out on a date night, telling your significant other "I am going as Sonny" and getting a heart emoji text back.

I wouldn't say I am obsessed with Vice, it is just a part of what helped define the 80's as the most significant of my life.  It's great and allows me the 80's escapism I need in this day and age.  Even though I feel old, I consider myself lucky to have lived in such a unique time and will be forever nostalgic.  This may sound a bit childish, but as a kid I was James Bond, Rambo or any variety of characters in my mind.  Even today, it's kind of fun to pretend you are Sonny living in the time, dressed like him, until you are snapped back to reality by your GPS telling you where to turn to make it to your date on time.

Edited by IA-SteveB
  • Like 2

Although I did watch the first few seasons here in the UK when they were first aired it wasn't until I played Vice City back in 2002 that I got back into MV. The success of the game kickstarted the whole  80s/MV revival here in Britain. 

I was overseas when Vice premiered and didn't really get into it until it showed up on USA in the early '90s or so. I was in high school in the '80s, and we were very much metalheads...very far away from the Vice look. And depending on where you were, Vice wasn't necessarily a defining part of the '80s unless you watched a lot of TV (which most of us didn't) or were in an urban area (which again we weren't once I got back stateside). I think the first episode I saw was either Definitely Miami or Nobody Lives Forever, and what got me interested was the look and feel. I kept watching them, and over time started filling in the many blanks the show left in the characters and their lives (wander by Fan Fiction and you'll see some of the results). I also did some game conversions for it (good old pencil and paper RPGs) and ran Vice games for a time. And then I started getting into the deeper meanings of many of the episodes and their social commentary. Having grown up in the '80s the context was really clear to me.

I do use Crockett style elements from time to time, and have been known to carry a 4506 in a shoulder rig on more than a few occasions...

Edited by Robbie C.
  • Like 2

Robbie C:  Love that you created a Vice RPG!  

And that you still run an old school steel S&W in leather...

I still throw an occasional dodecahedron 

• Thanks 1

On 8/14/2019 at 11:29 PM, Marco Falcone said:

Robbie C:  Love that you created a Vice RPG!  

And that you still run an old school steel S&W in leather...

I still throw an occasional dodecahedron 

I can't give up the 4506. Dead reliable and if you run out of ammo it's heavy enough you can use it as a club. I've got one of the new M&Ps and it's just not the same. I love the 3rd Generation S&Ws...

I was over at a friend's house and his parents had just bought the first season when it came out on DVD in 2005. I had heard of the show, but really wasn't interested in ever watching it. I was only 12 at the time. So while we had no intention of sitting down and watching the show that day, we all looked up at the clock and realized we had sat through probably eight or nine episodes. And that was the DVD set where you had data on both sides, so you had to flip them over to keep watching lol.  From then on, though, I was hooked. 

I have to say that I was the ONLY kid in middle school at that time who loved Miami Vice. But then again, I've never done anything by conventional standards. ;)