Crockett's Drink of Choice

MVfan

This is something I thought of that I've never paid attention to while watching MV. When Sonny's shown in a bar, what kind of drink does he usually order? This may be a silly question, but I've honestly never noticed. Did he have a "usual"?

• Administrators

Yep, Just JD. Nothing else in it.I think they may have called it that so that they didn't advertise a brand name.On most eps (and all tv shows) you almost never see the label on a bottle or can. It is turned sideways. You can see it and you know what it is, but it is not in "direct view" of the cameras.Look for this when watching tv shows.

• Administrators

I for one had never heard the term "Black Jack" when Vice was on in the 80's. I recall trying to look it up in a mixed drink/bar tending book my parents had but it was not in there.I think that was a term made up of the show.Maybe some of the older (than me) members would know better. Anyone else ever hear that term used before Vice?

Yep' date=' Just JD. Nothing else in it.I think they may have called it that so that they didn't advertise a brand name.On most eps (and all tv shows) you almost never see the label on a bottle or can. It is turned sideways. You can see it and you know what it is, but it is not in "direct view" of the cameras.Look for this when watching tv shows.[/quote']However, Lowenbrau was shown quite prominently from bottles, to banners, to race cars, to race jackets.

• Administrators

I'm not a drinker or an authority on Whiskey but I believe what Crockett drinks is not Jack Daniels but actually Johnnie Walker. Johnnie Walker comes in several varieties with either a red, blue, black or gold label.. crockett drinks the black label blend, hence the name "Black Jack" (Jack is also another name for John)

• Administrators

Well there were a whole lot of JD bottles through out the series. Take a look at the bottle he is drinking on the boat after Caitlin dies and Tubbs comes aboard. JD all the way IMHO.

However' date=' Lowenbrau was shown quite prominently from bottles, to banners, to race cars, to race jackets.[/quote']Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bild

• Administrators

Yep! And I'll bet they PAID for every advertisement too!

Yep! And I'll bet they PAID for every advertisement too!:p

Well there were a whole lot of JD bottles through out the series. Take a look at the bottle he is drinking on the boat after Caitlin dies and Tubbs comes aboard. JD all the way IMHO.

I am recalling that we discussed this around early summer of last year, I think, and I'm with you Timm on this one as Jack Daniels.

• Administrators

Yea, I'm thinking that this one was discussed in another place at another time. But the outcome was I think the same.I also have to disagree with my employer here and say that it is not Johnnie Walker Blue, Red, Black, etc. That is not too common a drink to order compaired with JD and with the appearance of all the bottles that highly resemble JD I can only say that my final answer is:Eingefügtes Bild

• Administrators

From "Deliver Us from Evil".Take a close look at the label on the back of the bottle. It says "Old Time Kentucky Whiskey" not "Tennessee Whiskey", but look closely at the graphics on the label. And look at the etching on the glass at the top of the bottle on the right side. Looks to me a lot like Jack Daniel's. Also look at the signature at the bottom of the label too. Notice the lack of a bar code and the lack of the government warning on the bottle.@ 0:33:44Eingefügtes BildNow take a look at the pic I took of a bottle of JD from my home. The label says "Old Time Tennessee Whiskey". The graphics are the same on this bottle, so I think JD changed their label slightly after 20+ years. The signature at the bottom of the label looks the same, only the addition of their web site is now present which was not available in the 80's as there was no internet then. The picture of the guy is different too, but that too could have been changed after 20+ years and with the internet address.Eingefügtes BildThe graphics in these "seal the deal" in my opinion here. Got to be Jack Daniels, at least for this ep.Also, JD was/is a "macho - man's man" drink then and now. I think Sonny would have drank this brand.Take a look at the side of the bottle, look at the neck of the bottle, the black label and white lettering and the curve of the lettering.@ 0:36:56 Eingefügtes BildNow take a look at the pic from my bottle at home. Same neck of the bottle, the black label and white lettering and the curve of the lettering.Eingefügtes BildGotta be the same label on the bottle.

Great stuff Tim!I'm completely sold!Your evidence is OVERWHELMING!Of course they could have slightly changed the label. Look how things change. JACK IN THE BOX is changing thier logo a bit, KFC now has Mr. Sanders wearing an apron. Everything is updated.You are 100% correct, and your PHOTO evidence PROVES IT.A little off subject, but not too far off, notice how the "McCormick garlic powder" label is directly facing the camera.Eingefügtes BildP.S. They have updated the 80's McCormick label too, as it no longer looks like that.

• Administrators

I'll bet the McCormicks bottle was an oversite. Take a look at the Chianti bottel. Can't see the label there.

• Administrators

No, if you watch the Food Network, all the cooking shows hide the labels too.I think they just don't want to give products free advertising.If they are paid, well that changes everything doesn't it? ;)