Where did Tubbs even live?

BunMVO

That remains a mystery.  Tubbs was probably at home when he got the phone call in "Amen... Send Money".

Previous discussions:

Edited by airtommy

Already in the second episode of Season 1 "Heart of Darkness", if you pay attention to the dialogue, that Tubbs is having with Lieutenant Rodriguez and later with Crockett, it is implied that Tubbs lives in some cheap lousy place with noisy neighbors plus, when he see's Artie's apartment jokingly and I believe indirectly refers to his own not matching up. Thanks to C Glide for the script, (although it's not stated in the final version), that in this episode Tubbs was living in a seedy motel in Kendall. I guess then by Season 4 in the episode "Amen Send Money," he must have improved his living conditions somewhat.  

Edited by summer84
  • Like 2

The character of Tubbs didn't live on the Beach or real close to the OCB if he had to take the Don Shula expressway to get to work.  PMT, in reality, lived at the Mutiny Hotel in the Grove during at least part of the filming years.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, summer84 said:

Already in the second episode of Season 1 "Heart of Darkness", if you pay attention to the dialogue, that Tubbs is having with Lieutenant Rodriguez and later with Crockett, it is implied that Tubbs lives in some cheap lousy place with noisy neighbors plus, when he see's Artie's apartment jokingly and I believe indirectly refers to his own not matching up. Thanks to C Glide for the script, (although it's not stated in the final version), that in this episode Tubbs was living in a seedy motel in Kendall. I guess then by Season 4 in the episode "Amen Send Money," he must have improved his living conditions somewhat.  

Interesting stuff. Of course the Pilot we saw his cheap motel up on Biscayne Boulevard not too far from the Studio. ( exterior and location seen in "Golden Triangle" (Part 1 ) and  "Home Invaders" also).

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

I even kind of liked that omission, it adds to Tubbs's air of mystery.

It complemented the way he would do some background work on the cases to come up with unexpected clues.

Remember how he once surprised Crockett with the fact that he attended night school? 'There is life after Vice!' he quipped  leaving Crockett and the viewers puzzled. 

• Like 3

I think they had Tubbs move around a couple of times after the hotel stuff in the first few episodes. But it's also pretty typical of how they treated many characters, honestly. You only see their homes if it's directly related to some kind of crisis (Trudy and Gina) or a dramatic event (Stan and Castillo). Only Crockett was really showcased.

• Like 3

MV remembers me somehow of a monastery. So it´s just consistent, they have no private life and home. Probably it´s also the contrary.
Because there´s almost no private life shown to us the OCB seems to be like a monastary.

5 hours ago, Glades said:

MV remembers me somehow of a monastery. So it´s just consistent, they have no private life and home. Probably it´s also the contrary.
Because there´s almost no private life shown to us the OCB seems to be like a monastary.

Except for Crockett. He's once again the exception. But in many ways he's the reverse of the others - they may not have homes but they have consistent backgrounds. Crockett has no fixed past, but he has a home. Odd...

• Administrators
19 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

Is that not his place in "Rites of Passage" when he's with Valerie?

Yup. I assumed it is, considering Crockett knew the phone number. 

• Like 1

we clearly see Tubbs house in little miss dangerous. a modern cool house, but which lacks a bit of furniture, and warmth. i don't know where this is located irl, as i'm not into that 'real places surgery' thing. NOT that i find it ininteresting, but i'm scared that if i know the real places it will break the series magic. for me, in my kid head Crockett, and Tubbs have really existed. yeah i know this is dumb. but this is how i see it. maybe i expressed myself badly. i didn't find any other word :)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jpaul1 said:

we clearly see Tubbs house in little miss dangerous. a modern cool house, but which lacks a bit of furniture, and warmth. i don't know where this is located irl, as i'm not into that 'real places surgery' thing. NOT that i find it ininteresting, but i'm scared that if i know the real places it will break the series magic. for me, in my kid head Crockett, and Tubbs have really existed. yeah i know this is dumb. but this is how i see it. maybe i expressed myself badly. i didn't find any other word :)

That was the safe house or a house belonging to the department in the Sunset Islands in Miami Beach not Tubbs’s actual house.:cheers::xmas:

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Matt5 said:

That was the safe house or a house belonging to the department in the Sunset Islands in Miami Beach not Tubbs’s actual house.:cheers::xmas:

Yep it was a safe house. Tubbs says to Sonny - "Jackie's at the 95th Street safe house" "I gave her the key"

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...
13 minutes ago, Bren10 said:

Pretty cool that Shane from Baseballs of Death has gone on to make Miami Vice videos on YouTube. :p

CC9134CC-5F80-410B-BFCA-4F2CCBEB06D4.jpeg

On 12/25/2019 at 4:41 PM, RedDragon86 said:

Is that not his place in "Rites of Passage" when he's with Valerie?

hmmm...could be...or may be a hotel room

Edited by sdiegolo78

11 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

Pretty cool that Shane from Baseballs of Death has gone on to make Miami Vice videos on YouTube. :p

CC9134CC-5F80-410B-BFCA-4F2CCBEB06D4.jpeg

Well, the guy's gotta have a hobby between fronting The Power Station and being chased by MacGyver :shout:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Am 26.12.2019 um 13:29 schrieb RedDragon86:

The phone number makes it official.

So we know how parts of his bedroom look like.:DBut as others told before, the homes of the other ones were only shown if necesary. That Tubbs at the beginning was living in a shabby apartment makes sense because he didn't know if he had to go back to New York. That's why he asked Rodriguez if they could talk about his future. I think he moved to a better apartment (the one in "Rites of passage" ) after he got a contract with Vice, but as there was never shown so much private stuff of the Vice employees we never got to know that he moved.

And, as others told before: This was unfortunately a Don-Johnson-Show. The others were only accessories.

• Like 2