Sonny wayfarer 5022 or 5024 HELP ME!

piccozzodifava

Hi Guys, I am a great fan of miami Vice! (sorry for my bad english i am italian).

I Have a BIG QUESTION! 

what model are the glasses worn by sonny Crhocket ? WAYFARER 5024 or 5022 HELP MEEEEE!!!!!!

On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 3:07 PM, piccozzodifava said:

Hi Guys, I am a great fan of miami Vice! (sorry for my bad english i am italian).

I Have a BIG QUESTION! 

what model are the glasses worn by sonny Crhocket ? WAYFARER 5024 or 5022 HELP MEEEEE!!!!!!

Welcome to the site, piccozzodifava !  Many members here can help you with your questions about Miami Vice. Enjoy ! :thumbsup:

On 12/27/2018 at 5:36 AM, piccozzodifava said:

Thx a lot ! But in the post " My crokets style  sunglass colletction " the user "MTVcops"He claims that they are wayfarer 5024 . I'm confused ..

They're definitely the 5022 model.

Here's the pair I ordered. They're coming from Italy so it will probably take about a month to get them. They were about 95 USD. These are in excellent shape and well worth the money. It's better than shelling out $150 for new Original Wayfarers which aren't even the same model. Sunglass aficionados will appreciate them and I'm so excited to wear them in summer 2019. https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-B-L-RAY-BAN-WAYFARER-USA-B-L5022-TORTOISE/143057718128?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

In my opinion, this is one thing you shouldn't cheap out or compromise on. Wait until you find a pair of vintage 5022 (tortoiseshell is the most iconic, but black are cool too if you have the money. I may get the black ones later on.) Your sunglasses are the first thing people notice since they look at your face and if you want to make a statement that you're serious about your style, get something quality and take care of it.

• Like 1

THX THX ! pmconroy!! 

my doubt was born because I have buy a new wayfarer from rayban site ! I have spend 200€ with polazed lens ! 

Thank you ! I thought I was wrong model !!

This is an incredible forum!

Edited by piccozzodifava

On 12/29/2018 at 5:23 PM, piccozzodifava said:

THX THX ! pmconroy!! 

my doubt was born because I have buy a new wayfarer from rayban site ! I have spend 200€ with polazed lens ! 

Thank you ! I thought I was wrong model !!

This is an incredible forum!

I’m glad I can be of help!

This is a great forum. Lots of nice like-minded people, and never any trolls.

• 3 months later...

I have a question regarding the RAYBAN Wayfarer 5024 Tortoise 

The lenses Crocket wears are completely flat (see the attached screenshots from S02E23 "Sons and Lovers").

The thing is, all the Rayban (even vintage) I find don't have those very flat lenses, so what's the deal?!

Even collectors here are saying those are RAYBAN Wayfarer 5024 Tortoise , but the lenses of this model aren't flat... I'm confused :)

vlcsnap-2019-04-09-13h00m35s685.png

vlcsnap-2019-04-09-13h00m01s554.png

vlcsnap-2019-04-09-13h00m27s958.png

• Like 1

Welcome to the site @heow!

I believe the lenses were specially made flat and placed into the frames to reduce reflection of camera crew and equipment in the shots. All the info here about the frames is correct. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dadrian said:

Welcome to the site @heow!

I believe the lenses were specially made flat and placed into the frames to reduce reflection of camera crew and equipment in the shots. All the info here about the frames is correct. 

Ah, thanks for the explaination.

I doubt this is the real reason though, flat lenses would increase reflections rather than reduce them.

Another outside shot in the car, this time with regular lenses:

vlcsnap-2019-04-09-15h19m12s541.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

@heow here:

Perfect, with the source and all :) 

So those are customs anyways. Too bad I spent quite some time looking for those Raybans with flat lenses, they just don't exist :D

Yeah, but you can order the lenses. The frames were a standard product, if I understand correctly. 

Also, I accidentally linked the wrong thread initially, and it looks like you quoted it before I fixed it. Check the post again. Great info and lots of photos there, including side by sides on reflection/no reflection. :thumbsup:

Edited by Dadrian

49 minutes ago, squeezem3 said:

Damn, this guy was like a walking library of Miami Vice. An absolute tragedy he disappeared from here. 

Indeed, but I hear he’s very active on Facebook. 

20 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

Indeed, but I hear he’s very active on Facebook. 

Can't imagine any better and more dedicated community than here, especially not in a Facebook group, but who knows what was driving him. That's off-topic anyway. 

16 minutes ago, squeezem3 said:

Can't imagine any better and more dedicated community than here

Amen

• 1 month later...

Hi guys! 

after several months I am here again! The user "heow" made me still dubt lol! The wayfarer worn by sonny are 5022 or 5024? . Thax all a lot!
Edited by piccozzodifava

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, AdrienSpy said:

So there's no way to find any green/rose flat lenses anywhere ?

I think they look much cooler than my actual curved ones..

You could probably have the lenses made. 

Welcome to the site! :thumbsup:

If I remember correctly, and from what I’ve learned over the years on this site, is that the original RayBan Wayfarer (such as the ones Crockett wore) model number was 5022 (aka back at the time of MV). In present day, or in more current times, the model number is now 2140...but it’s basically the same frame/glasses. As for lenses, mine are all the traditional green ones (which I prefer). The flat ones I believe were purposely put in Crockett’s Wayfarers by filming crew for certain filming purposes. 

10 hours ago, Dadrian said:

You could probably have the lenses made. 

Welcome to the site! :thumbsup:

Thanks =D If you know where I could get some, that would be great

6 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

If I remember correctly, and from what I’ve learned over the years on this site, is that the original RayBan Wayfarer (such as the ones Crockett wore) model number was 5022 (aka back at the time of MV). In present day, or in more current times, the model number is now 2140...but it’s basically the same frame/glasses. As for lenses, mine are all the traditional green ones (which I prefer). The flat ones I believe were purposely put in Crockett’s Wayfarers by filming crew for certain filming purposes. 

I don't know if I'm paranoid or something but I've noticed a lot of details that are different between the RB2140 and the Wayfarer 5022

On top of the frame, it doesn't curve as much in the middle, the bridge is not as flat as 5022:

ray-ban-original-wayfarer-noir-rb2140-901-50-22-medium.jpg

Image associée

That's the reason I didn't want to buy the new ones

And I really hate the logo on the lenses and the temples... I like the Ray Ban style, but I'm not like "HEY LOOK AT ME, I PAID A LOT FOR A LOGO CUZ I'M RICH"