Sonny wayfarer 5022 or 5024 HELP ME!

piccozzodifava

6 hours ago, AdrienSpy said:

Thanks =D If you know where I could get some, that would be great

I don't know if I'm paranoid or something but I've noticed a lot of details that are different between the RB2140 and the Wayfarer 5022

On top of the frame, it doesn't curve as much in the middle, the bridge is not as flat as 5022:

ray-ban-original-wayfarer-noir-rb2140-901-50-22-medium.jpg

Image associée

That's the reason I didn't want to buy the new ones

And I really hate the logo on the lenses and the temples... I like the Ray Ban style, but I'm not like "HEY LOOK AT ME, I PAID A LOT FOR A LOGO CUZ I'M RICH"

That is one difference, is the logo on the sides of the ear pieces. It doesn’t bother me one way or the other...I have tortoise shell (aka Crockett’s) & black ones of both vintage 5022s and of the current 2140s. Other than the logo, there’s not much difference.  But, if the logo is something you don’t want shown, then yeah finding vintage 5022 Wayfarers is probably your best bet. :thumbsup:  I’ve found my vintage ones and one of my 2140s on eBay...other 2140s I’ve found in a department store that sold RayBan sunglasses. They’re always more expensive in a store though...finding good deals online like eBay is probably the best way to go.

Edited by ViceFanMan

4 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

That is one difference, is the logo on the sides of the ear pieces. It doesn’t bother me one way or the other...I have tortoise shell (aka Crockett’s) & black ones of both vintage 5022s and of the current 2140s. Other than the logo, there’s not much difference.  But, if the logo is something you don’t want shown, then yeah finding vintage 5022 Wayfarers is probably your best bet. :thumbsup:  I’ve found my vintage ones and one of my 2140s on eBay...other 2140s I’ve found in a department store that sold RayBan sunglasses. They’re always more expensive in a store though...finding good deals online like eBay is probably the best way to go.

well actually, I already own a pair of 5024 and I'm currently bidding for a pair of 5022 but they look kinda big... which is strange because they're not Wayfarer II

Would you say it's just because of the picture angle ?

s-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpg

6 hours ago, AdrienSpy said:

well actually, I already own a pair of 5024 and I'm currently bidding for a pair of 5022 but they look kinda big... which is strange because they're not Wayfarer II

s-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpg

I’m not an expert, but I think the 5024 was the larger size, and is actually harder to find. The 5022s were the standard size. 

5 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

I’m not an expert, but I think the 5024 was the larger size, and is actually harder to find. The 5022s were the standard size. 

Yeah, the code means "50mm lenses and 24mm bridge"

But the height doesn't change

That's why I'm sceptical about the picture since they really are 5022 but sometimes, because of the different factories, they have some slight differences

11 hours ago, AdrienSpy said:

s-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpg

It should say the model number on the inside of the frame, right side. 5022 or 5024. If you’re a bigger guy 5024 might work better for you. If you’re standard size, well then 5022 is the standard width. If you’re buying it you should be able to have confidence in the seller - you can always ask for more pictures to show the model number.

10 minutes ago, pmconroy said:

It should say the model number on the inside of the frame, right side. 5022 or 5024. If you’re a bigger guy 5024 might work better for you. If you’re standard size, well then 5022 is the standard width. If you’re buying it you should be able to have confidence in the seller - you can always ask for more pictures to show the model number.

I've seen the number so I guess I'm good

17 hours ago, AdrienSpy said:

Yeah, the code means "50mm lenses and 24mm bridge"

But the height doesn't change

That's why I'm sceptical about the picture since they really are 5022 but sometimes, because of the different factories, they have some slight differences

Yeah, sometimes there are slight factory differences...but overall I don’t think the height changes much. 

2 minutes ago, ZAQ 178 said:

I just scored a pair of 5022’s for $58 free shipping. Timing!!

I got mine for $70 including shipping, which seems a pretty good price since they are in a good state

1 minute ago, ZAQ 178 said:

The frames on mine will need some polishing but I can handle it. They are scuffed up but lenses looked good!

I think the frame is the most important because the lenses can be replaced

I might replace mine with polarized ones

• Like 1

The ray ban polarized lenses are great, especially if you are around water like I am.  The only thing I don't like about polarized for driving is that in some cars the rear window will look splotchy with shaded areas.  I had a Mustang Cobra that I couldn't wear polarized in because of that.  It was just the angle of the glass.

Edited by IA-SteveB
  • Like 1

So I got my 5022’s today. In much better condition than I expected. Only thing is, it’s missing a rivet on the right side inner arm. See photo. Anyone have one? I took them to a eye glass place but no luck. They didn’t have anything to fix it.

I noticed considerable changes from everyday RB 2132 & these 5022’s. More angle to the 5022 face.

DA9EFEA0-93D9-43E2-ADAF-5EE66E9E8524.jpeg

A3AE987F-7E33-4DC6-B986-ECF95136BC41.jpeg

46632007-00F8-470F-BCD5-A8D058930F7B.jpeg

66548039-230B-4A82-8CD8-4B096122B5B5.jpeg

0E573EF4-42E8-4293-8DB0-063AB7455064.jpeg

On 6/11/2019 at 6:23 PM, ZAQ 178 said:

So I got my 5022’s today. In much better condition than I expected. Only thing is, it’s missing a rivet on the right side inner arm. See photo. Anyone have one? I took them to a eye glass place but no luck. They didn’t have anything to fix it.

I noticed considerable changes from everyday RB 2132 & these 5022’s. More angle to the 5022 face.

DA9EFEA0-93D9-43E2-ADAF-5EE66E9E8524.jpeg

A3AE987F-7E33-4DC6-B986-ECF95136BC41.jpeg

46632007-00F8-470F-BCD5-A8D058930F7B.jpeg

66548039-230B-4A82-8CD8-4B096122B5B5.jpeg

0E573EF4-42E8-4293-8DB0-063AB7455064.jpeg

The 2132 is a different model & style of RayBan than the original 5022 Wayfarers that Crockett wore...which now have the model number 2140. Basically the 2140 is the same as the original 5022. Why they changed model #s, I’m not sure (other than the new 2140s have the RayBan logo on an ear piece and one of the lenses, whereas the original 5022s did not)?  I have a black & a tortoise shell pair of the 2140s, as well as a couple vintage tortoise shell pairs of 5022s. Love them all! :cool: 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 4/9/2019 at 7:44 AM, Dadrian said:

Welcome to the site @heow!

I believe the lenses were specially made flat and placed into the frames to reduce reflection of camera crew and equipment in the shots. All the info here about the frames is correct. 

Rayban has a pair out there not a lot of people know about even when I go into a sunglass shop looking for them. They are original wayfarer without the tilt. Called Wayfarer Ease that will give u the flat look

• 1 year later...

Ray-Ban's current "Wayfarer" just isn't the same.

I went on eBay and found a NOS/still with tags and lens stickers pair of B&L Tortoise 5024's from 1990-92.  They were $250, but worth every penny.  (I had purchased a pair of identical 5022's from the same seller, but the nose bridge was a bit too narrow and uncomfortable.  Sold them on this Forum for what I paid a few years ago.)

I just had them repaired today at my local optical shop.  (Lost a temple hinge screw...)

The current version has that tacky "Ray-Ban" script on the temple and white printing on the lenses.  (The white printing can be easily removed with the edge of a penny though.  Doesn't take a lot of pressure and does not damage the lens.  Did it on a pair I later sold without any issue.)

Anyway, save up some extra money, and be patient searching for a pair of the "real deal." 

It's worth it.

Somehow, I managed to keep my first pair of B&L black Wayfarer 5024's that my high-school girlfriend gave me in 1986! 

Still wear them all the time.

ViceOps:  Regarding the current Wayfarer Ease, it looks like the lenses are the still the same slightly curved lenses.  It's just the angle between the frame and temples is more flat/closer to 90 degrees, therefore less tilt.

The original, old-school "no-script" Wayfarers as made by B&L and worn by Sonny have the greater pantoscopic tilt. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marco Falcone said:

Ray-Ban's current "Wayfarer" just isn't the same.

I went on eBay and found a NOS/still with tags and lens stickers pair of B&L Tortoise 5024's from 1990-92.  They were $250, but worth every penny.  (I had purchased a pair of identical 5022's from the same seller, but the nose bridge was a bit too narrow and uncomfortable.  Sold them on this Forum for what I paid a few years ago.)

I just had them repaired today at my local optical shop.  (Lost a temple hinge screw...)

The current version has that tacky "Ray-Ban" script on the temple and white printing on the lenses.  (The white printing can be easily removed with the edge of a penny though.  Doesn't take a lot of pressure and does not damage the lens.  Did it on a pair I later sold without any issue.)

Anyway, save up some extra money, and be patient searching for a pair of the "real deal." 

It's worth it.

Somehow, I managed to keep my first pair of B&L black Wayfarer 5024's that my high-school girlfriend gave me in 1986! 

Still wear them all the time.

ViceOps:  Regarding the current Wayfarer Ease, it looks like the lenses are the still the same slightly curved lenses.  It's just the angle between the frame and temples is more flat/closer to 90 degrees, therefore less tilt.

The original, old-school "no-script" Wayfarers as made by B&L and worn by Sonny have the greater pantoscopic tilt. 

I may be wrong, but I believe the 5022 & the 5024 models are the same glasses...the 5024s were just a bigger size than the standard 5022s, as some people need a bigger size. 

I have a couple pairs of vintage tortoise shell 5022 Wayfarers, like Crockett wore, as well as a pair of more modern ones (2140s). 

6 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

I may be wrong, but I believe the 5022 & the 5024 models are the same glasses...the 5024s were just a bigger size than the standard 5022s, as some people need a bigger size. 

I have a couple pairs of vintage tortoise shell 5022 Wayfarers, like Crockett wore, as well as a pair of more modern ones (2140s). 

50 in the model number describes the lens diameter, so it's identical on both the 5022 and the 5024. "22" / "24" is the bridge width.

I have both models, but same as Marco mentioned before, the bridge on the 5022 is too narrow for my nose. I have swapped out the lenses between them as the ones on the 5022 were in better condition, so I can confirm the lenses are identical on both.

I also own two Luxottica Ray-Ban 2140/50-22 models, one turtoise, one black. Overall, the frame shape and size is almost identical, however material and hinge quality is a different story. Interestingly though, on the Luxottica Wayfarers, the 22 bridge width works fine for me, whereas with the B&L's it doesn't.

The 2132 is called "New Wayfarer" and as mentioned by ViceFanMan, it's a different model. Thinner frame, softer edges, less slanted, less heigth.

Further to Marco's method to remove the Ray-Ban script on the lens with a coin, I have successfully done that on both my Luxottica Wayfarers and the New Wayfarer by rubbing it off with an acetone-soaked piece of cloth. Just don't use that method on plastic lenses or any kind of polarized, mirror glazed or faded lenses as it will damage them. On the standard green ones, it's no problem. 

As for the script logo on the arms, this was already available on B&L Wayfarers, and even Sonny wore a pair in ONLY ONE SCENE of "El Viejo", which is actually a continuity goof, as in that episode he's wearing the Persols the whole time otherwise. In that scene, he enters the Marina with the Persols and after the next cut he suddenly has Wayfarers on:

grafik.thumb.png.3aa73ee118244a437d0fea2d3ce774be.png 

grafik.thumb.png.db2ec6f7e00589ddd2dedaed815b5a26.png

grafik.thumb.png.7b34fc7ea0b6726cd75403ed666d21c1.png

Edited by daytona365
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, daytona365 said:

50 in the model number describes the lens diameter, so it's identical on both the 5022 and the 5024. "22" / "24" is the bridge width.

I have both models, but same as Marco mentioned before, the bridge on the 5022 is too narrow for my nose. I have swapped out the lenses between them as the ones on the 5022 were in better condition, so I can confirm the lenses are identical on both.

I also own two Luxottica Ray-Ban 2140/50-22 models, one turtoise, one black. Overall, the frame shape and size is almost identical, however material and hinge quality is a different story. Interestingly though, on the Luxottica Wayfarers, the 22 bridge width works fine for me, whereas with the B&L's it doesn't.

The 2132 is called "New Wayfarer" and as mentioned by ViceFanMan, it's a different model. Thinner frame, softer edges, less slanted, less heigth.

Further to Marco's method to remove the Ray-Ban script on the lens with a coin, I have successfully done that on both my Luxottica Wayfarers and the New Wayfarer by rubbing it off with an acetone-soaked piece of cloth. Just don't use that method on plastic lenses or any kind of polarized, mirror glazed or faded lenses as it will damage them. On the standard green ones, it's no problem. 

As for the script logo on the arms, this was already available on B&L Wayfarers, and even Sonny wore a pair in ONLY ONE SCENE of "El Viejo", which is actually a continuity goof, as in that episode he's wearing the Persols the whole time otherwise. In that scene, he enters the Marina with the Persols and after the next cut he suddenly has Wayfarers on:

grafik.thumb.png.3aa73ee118244a437d0fea2d3ce774be.png 

grafik.thumb.png.db2ec6f7e00589ddd2dedaed815b5a26.png

grafik.thumb.png.7b34fc7ea0b6726cd75403ed666d21c1.png

I think the Ray Ban 2140 is the newer Wayfarer. I have both a tortoise shell & black pair. I also have two vintage Ray Ban 5022 pairs of tortoise shell Wayfarers, like Crockett wore in the first couple seasons. I’m not sure about the 2132 model...haven’t seen one of those that I know of? I have a narrower nose, so both the 5022 & 2140 models fit my face fine. :cool: :thumbsup: 

Coop told me time ago i would prefere the dark tortoise version of wayfarer, instead the original one. Yes, the one used by crockett was light Brown, and for my today standards, subtly tacky. And yes they did a Reboot with the New wayfarer LINE.

Edited by Mr. Calderon

1 minute ago, Mr. Calderon said:

Coop told me time ago i would prefere the dark tortoise version of wayfarer, instead the original one. Yes, the one used by crockett was light Brown, and for my today standards, subtly tacky.

I think the newer model (2140) is a darker brown than the original 5022. I’ve seen more of the original tortoise shell color again in the past few years...so I don’t think it’s as “tacky” as it might have been considered in say the late 90s/early 2000s. I have both, and enjoy wearing both. To each his or her own! :dance2:

Daytona365:  Did not know about the script on the temples appearing so early.  NICE CATCH that they were screen-used as well!  

I though about acetone to remove the lens script, but I was afraid of discoloring the frames.  (Still have those black Wayfarer II’s somewhere…)

I also wear a pair of chrome-framed Randolph 58mm classic Aviators with blue polarized lenses a lot, and when I’m feeling really “Depp-ish” I do love my Moscot Lemtosh’s.  (Black and Tortoise.)

I use Oakley Crankshafts on the range when I teaching.

I keep a nice pair of Maui Jim “Big Kahuna’s” in my truck.

And in my sunglasses drawer there’s a pair of vintage Vuarnet’s for a very screen-accurate Dude/Lebowski costume I did a few years ago, a pair of mid-90’s Ray Ban Balorama’s with some cracking around the hinge I can’t let go of, a couple pairs of 007 Persols, an old pair of Serengeti’s, and a couple more pairs of Randolphs.  

And I was on eBay just last night looking for a replacement for the Balorama’s.  

I have a problem!

• Like 1

@daytona365 I had noticed the goof on “El Viejo” before, and even posted somewhere here I think :) 

But I never noticed the script on the temple. Good eye! :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1