Sonny wayfarer 5022 or 5024 HELP ME!

piccozzodifava

2 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

I think the Ray Ban 2140 is the newer Wayfarer. I have both a tortoise shell & black pair. I also have two vintage Ray Ban 5022 pairs of tortoise shell Wayfarers, like Crockett wore in the first couple seasons. I’m not sure about the 2132 model...haven’t seen one of those that I know of? I have a narrower nose, so both the 5022 & 2140 models fit my face fine. :cool: :thumbsup: 

Ray-Ban was founded in 1937 as a subsidiary of Bausch & Lomb in cooperation with the United States Army Air Corps.

• The Wayfarer model was first issued in 1952, the design was slightly changed multiple times up to the model that Crockett wore in MV.
  • The Bausch & Lomb model code of the model worn by Crockett was 5022 (50mm lens width, 22mm bridge width in brown tortoise with green G-15 B&L lenses), hence the model code also served as the size designation.
  • The frames were made from acetate.
  • There were other size options available, like the 5024 or a 46mm small version
  • At some point still under brand ownership by B&L the Wayfarer II model was introduced, thinner frame with bigger, higher lenses and less slant/tilt.
  • As we know from "El Viejo", scripted temples must have been introduced already at some point between 1984 and 1986.

The Ray-Ban Brand was sold to Italian company Luxottica in 1999 for 640MUSD.

In 2001, Luxottica has issued a re-designed model under the Ray-Ban brand. The original design was no longer available at this point.

• Model name: "New Wayfarer Classic"
  • Model code 2132
  • sizes:  small (52-18), standard (55-18) and large (58-15)

The original design was re-introduced in 2007 as "Original Wayfarer Classic" (according to wikipedia after Luxottica realized that original B&L Wayfarers were selling for significant prices on eBay)

• Model code 2140
  • available in sizes standard (50-22) and large (54-18)
  • scripted temples only

Frames on Luxottica models are no longer made from acetate but from injected plastic, they have sharper edges, overall lower quality feel but the "Original Wayfarer Classic" designwise is virtually identical to the vintage B&L models in terms of shape, size, slant. The differences are very, very minor.

Although most people here will probably refer to any Luxottica Wayfarer as "New" in terms of being newer than a vintage Bausch & Lomb Wayfarer, the "New Wayfarer" is a completely different model (New Wayfarer Classic) with a design that only resembles the original but has signifficant differences.

Clear as mud?

Edited by daytona365
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, daytona365 said:

Ray-Ban was founded in 1937 as a subsidiary of Bausch & Lomb in cooperation with the United States Army Air Corps.

• The Wayfarer model was first issued in 1952, the design was slightly changed multiple times up to the model that Crockett wore in MV.
  • The Bausch & Lomb model code of the model worn by Crockett was 5022 (50mm lens width, 22mm bridge width in brown tortoise with green G-15 B&L lenses), hence the model code also served as the size designation.
  • The frames were made from acetate.
  • There were other size options available, like the 5024 or a 46mm small version
  • At some point under brand ownership bythe Wayfarer II model was introduced, thinner frame with bigger, higher lenses and less slant/tilt.
  • As we know from "El Viejo", scripted temples must have been introduced already at some point between 1984 and 1986.

The Ray-Ban Brand was sold to Italian company Luxottica in 1999 for 640MUSD.

In 2001, Luxottica has issued a re-designed model under the Ray-Ban brand. The original design was removed from production at this point.

• Model name: "New Wayfarer Classic"
  • Model code 2132
  • sizes:  small (52-18), standard (55-18) and large (58-15)

The original design was re-introduced in 2007 as "Original Wayfarer Classic" (according to wikipedia after Luxottica realized that B&L Wayfarers were selling for significant prices on eBay)

• Model code 2140
  • available in sizes standard (50-22) and large (54-18)
  • scripted temples only

Frames on Luxottica models are no longer made from acetate but from injected plastic, they have sharper edges, overall lower quality feel but the "Original Wayfarer Classic" designwise is virtually identical to the vintage B&L models in terms of shape, size, slant. The differences are very, very minor.

Although most people here will probably refer to any Luxottica Wayfarer as "New" in terms of being newer than a vintage Bausch & Lomb Wayfarer, the "New Wayfarer" is a completely different model (New Wayfarer Classic) with a design that only resembles the original but has major differences.

Clear as mud?

Yeah, I love Ray Ban and knew they were founded in 1937. My eye glasses are even Ray Ban Club Master style. When you buy a new pair of sunglasses they usually come with a little historical booklet about the history of Ray Ban. But, thanks for all this extra info & history...awesome!! :clap: I love my vintage 5022s best, but I still like my newer 2140s, too. :dance2:

17 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

Yeah, I love Ray Ban and knew they were founded in 1937. My eye glasses are even Ray Ban Club Master style. When you buy a new pair of sunglasses they usually come with a little historical booklet about the history of Ray Ban. But, thanks for all this extra info & history...awesome!! :clap: I love my vintage 5022s best, but I still like my newer 2140s, too. :dance2:

yeah I love them too. And I have 'em all, the 5022, the 5024 (2), the 2140 (tortoise and black), the 2132 (which I gave to my wife bc I didn't like them on my face) plus an Aviator Classic model. And that's only my Ray-Ban's....:redface:

The 2140's are fine for alternating daily use if you want to preserve your precious vintage Wayfarers for a longer time. Now that they're available in light turtoise, they actually come quite close to the original, except for the scripted temples.

grafik.png.d80284b38be6e9fb1528058fc817170d.png

Edited by daytona365
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, daytona365 said:

yeah I love them too. And I have 'em all, the 5022, the 5024 (2), the 2140 (tortoise and black), the 2132 (which I gave to my wife bc I didn't like it on my face) plus an Aviator Classic model. And that's only my Ray-Ban's....:redface:

The 5140's are fine for alternating daily use if you want to preserve your precious vintage Wayfarers for a longer time. Now that they're available in light turtoise, they actually come quite close to the original, except for the scripted temples.

grafik.png.d80284b38be6e9fb1528058fc817170d.png

Awesome...I may have to look into getting the 5140 in what I call “Crockett”! They look very close. I use my black 2140s for daily use, as they’re older and not my most favorite ones. I alternate between my tortoise shell 2140 & vintage 5022s-(which I consider the “real” Crocketts) for occasional ‘good’ use. :thumbsup:

3 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

Awesome...I may have to look into getting the 5140 in what I call “Crockett”! They look very close. I use my black 2140s for daily use, as they’re older and not my most favorite ones. I alternate between my tortoise shell 2140 & vintage 5022s-(which I consider the “real” Crocketts) for occasional ‘good’ use. :thumbsup:

sorry, 5140 is a typo, the photos above and below are also the 2140. It can be configured to look like this.

grafik.thumb.png.dce4de1b4757f58eb3e91d4fca409e7e.png

Edited by daytona365
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, daytona365 said:

sorry, 5140 is a typo, the photo above is also the 2140.

grafik.thumb.png.dce4de1b4757f58eb3e91d4fca409e7e.png

Gotcha! My 2140s are a darker tortoise shell...so I still may look into getting these, as they are much closer and/or more accurate to what Crockett wore. :thumbsup:

• Like 1