What would Sonny do??

mjcmmv

15 minutes ago, mjcmmv said:

This was an education. I know so little about guns, so thanks for your patience!

Agree, I also know very little about guns.  Also had considered the whole sniper idea (mainly because of his apparent skill at the target range).  So thanks for the explanations :)

21 hours ago, vicegirl85 said:

Agree, I also know very little about guns.  Also had considered the whole sniper idea (mainly because of his apparent skill at the target range).  So thanks for the explanations :)

I agree , very helpful.:)

• Like 1

• Administrators

No way was Sonny a sniper and his lack of ease in the woods is laughable for a Vietnam vet. They totally played that scene wrong.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, timm525 said:

No way was Sonny a sniper and his lack of ease in the woods is laughable for a Vietnam vet. They totally played that scene wrong. Not denying why this may be true...I just want to know why you say this...

Really? please let me know why you say this...

Edited by mjcmmv

• Administrators

I'm not sure if your referring to him not being a sniper or his uncomfort with being in the woods.

He never favored a long gun that I can recall. Even in scenes where he and the team should have had them. Zito covering him from the hill of sand at the end and shooting Charlie covering Sonny. Although Sonny wasn't doing the shooting that time, I would think as a sniper he would have seriously talked to zito about having a carbine or rifle instead of a pistol, especially since his life was on the line. Or the scene in OWTBDR where the team is shooting from one stilt house to the other with pistols and shotguns. Totally silly at that distance when the cameras panned back. Of course Sonny was driving the boat and not an active shooter until he docked but again going into a known combat situation like that and not take a carbine over a pistol. I don't think anyone would knowingly go into a take down like that today. i know, it's just a TV show.

Also as for his lack of comfort in the woods. He seemed like such a fish out of water stumbling around talking with Tubbs about the moss...I think that was meant to be more comical then serious, two city guys out lost in the woods. No way would someone who spent years in the bush be that lost and uncomfortable. I don't see that as being practical. He did at least seem a lot more at ease when he was hunting Maynard. 

ETA: How about the one being on the sail boat with Keith Mollsuk (sp) and being attached by the helicopter and only having a pistol and a handful of Molotov Cocktails. Obviously if you on a sailboat you can only be attached by a helicopter, another boat or a giant whale. For all three, a long gun would be preferable.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, timm525 said:

I'm not sure if your referring to him not being a sniper or his uncomfort with being in the woods.

He never favored a long gun that I can recall. Even in scenes where he and the team should have had them. Zito covering him from the hill of sand at the end and shooting Charlie covering Sonny. Although Sonny wasn't doing the shooting that time, I would think as a sniper he would have seriously talked to zito about having a carbine or rifle instead of a pistol, especially since his life was on the line. Or the scene in OWTBDR where the team is shooting from one stilt house to the other with pistols and shotguns. Totally silly at that distance when the cameras panned back. Of course Sonny was driving the boat and not an active shooter until he docked but again going into a known combat situation like that and not take a carbine over a pistol. I don't think anyone would knowingly go into a take down like that today. i know, it's just a TV show.

Also as for his lack of comfort in the woods. He seemed like such a fish out of water stumbling around talking with Tubbs about the moss...I think that was meant to be more comical then serious, two city guys out lost in the woods. No way would someone who spent years in the bush be that lost and uncomfortable. I don't see that as being practical. He did at least seem a lot more at ease when he was hunting Maynard. 

ETA: How about the one being on the sail boat with Keith Mollsuk (sp) and being attached by the helicopter and only having a pistol and a handful of Molotov Cocktails. Obviously if you on a sailboat you can only be attached by a helicopter, another boat or a giant whale. For all three, a long gun would be preferable.

I grew up in the 60's...I  watched the guys I knew facing the draft. It was tough.I worried about guys that i loved,  the guys about to be deployed...Maybe this was why I related so strongly to Crockett, He was a sharp-shooter, an intuitive investigator, a hero....I wanted to tell him I was on his side. 

4 hours ago, timm525 said:

No way was Sonny a sniper and his lack of ease in the woods is laughable for a Vietnam vet. They totally played that scene wrong.

And his lack of field skills is one of the reasons I have him pegged as an MP. Sonny was never a grunt. No way. Too many things missing, even from TV from that era.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 3/23/2019 at 7:31 PM, RedDragon86 said:

He's a lot like Vincent in "Heat", marriage and being a cop doesn't work for some, I think Crockett cared more about his job than he did for having a relationship,  even with Caitlin there were moments where work got in the way and they argued because of it.

Exactly right.

• 1 year later...

The character of Sonny Crockett is a film noir clichè turned upside down: instead of the femme fatale, we have the homme fatale. No one who comes close to Sonny goes off unscathed. Not because he is a bad dude or anything. He doesn't harm people intentionally. On the contrary, he always tries to do the right thing,but ends up doing harm anyway. You could say his heart is in the right place, but his brain is full of death and destruction.

It's a clever inversion of a worn out, film noir cliche (the femme fatale). Crockett is a homme fatale!

Edited by johnnyfarragut

5 hours ago, johnnyfarragut said:

The character of Sonny Crockett is a film noir clichè turned upside down: instead of the femme fatale, we have the homme fatale. No one who comes close to Sonny goes off unscathed. Not because he is a bad dude or anything. He doesn't harm people intentionally. On the contrary, he always tries to do the right thing,but ends up doing harm anyway. You could say his heart is in the right place, but his brain is full of death and destruction.

It's a clever inversion of a worn out, film noir cliche (the femme fatale). Crockett is a homme fatale!

The catch with Sonny is he tries to do the right thing as he sees it, which isn't always the right thing. I think Stan could argue that Sonny's actions in both parts of Down for the Count didn't fit into the right thing mold.