Crockett's first car was more believable

S.FL84

2 minutes ago, Mvice8489 said:

Keep in mind that it was not a real Daytona of course. It was just a Corvette. Much easier steering on a Corvette that a Daytona.  

As far as the testarossa,  it is only difficult to steer it very low speed.   Or if you are trying to  maneuver in and out   of  angled  driveway for example  Once you get it going the momentum helps and there are no steering issues.    

There were three testarossa’s used on that show. Two of them were real and one was a stunt car.   The stunt car was built out of a Pantera.   A lot of the chase scenes used that car. You can tell which car is because it is much lower to the ground and does not have stock wheels. The wheels on the Pantera were much bigger than stock TR wheels

Ah, that explains a lot! Thank you, so much! 

1 minute ago, Mvice8489 said:

No problem at all. I think it’s pretty clear that I’m pretty obsessed with the cars on Miami Vice   LOL !!!

And I love learning from you! Keep it coming!!!

Unfortunately I have to sign off for the night but here is an absolute MUST see video !!  I must've watched it 100 times before I finally bought my car :)

• Like 3

Also, obviously, the Testarossa stunt car wheels are chrome, and the real Testarossa wheels are not—instant dead giveaway every time, even in the most obscure shots. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mvice8489 said:

Now notice the wheels on a real testarossa 

96264978-CD13-4529-A9A5-BDACAE27807F.jpeg

752EF4B4-A147-4B21-B9F7-6C2AC4133981.jpeg

I only notice I’m not sitting in it ;(

• Haha 1

vor 9 Stunden schrieb Mvice8489:

I just received the Testarossa  that I bought about a week ago. Let me tell you, that car is really really difficult to drive in the city!   No power steering. Almost impossible to steer from a dead stop or at a slow pace.  No way that would have made a good car driving around the busy streets of Miami .    They Daytona  is known to be just as difficult if not more in steering. A super heavy car.  

Most sports cars back then were not designed to be easy to drive. The focus was on performance and sportyness, not comfort. If you struggled to turn corners in your (real) Daytona or Testarossa, that was your fault.

If you think of cars like the notorious '73 Porsche 911 Turbo, that car was a beast on wheels, and the turbo was fussy enough to throw even seasoned drivers off their game. It was a very temperamental car that required the driver's full attention at all times.

Sports cars today are built so that both the committed enthusiast and the well to do lawyer or executive on their morning commute have an easy time with it. 

That said, I dare you to take nearly any 1970s to 1980s production car for a test drive. You will realize in a way that you have completely forgotten about just how much handling and ride comfort have improved on nearly every kind of car that has been built since that time. Even the modern Ferrari superleggera limited editions, where they strip out pretty much any and all mod cons to the bare metal, will feel more comfortable than your stock '73 Daytona.

Edited by Daytona74
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, vicegirl85 said:

I remember reading somewhere that the Testarossa was painted white so that it would be more easily visible on TV during night scenes, of which there were always plenty during the show's run.  "Testarossa" means redhead in Italian and I have read that the model was originally red. 

Testarossa refers to the red cam covers or 'cylinder heads' on the engine and this designation has been used before on the 1957 Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa. 1991 the Testarossa underwent some minor redesign and the name was changed to 512 TR, with the 'TR' again pointing out the red cam covers.

image.thumb.png.56f46dd552604538f79d10898eae7797.png

Edited by daytona365
  • Like 1

I have found out now why the Ferrari emblem is in the right place in the pilot and not afterwards until "Lombard".  The first appearance of the Daytona in the pilot episode is actually a real Ferrari owned by Dr. Roger Sherman of Coconut Grove, Florida. 

• Like 1

What makes the Testarossa engine stand out is also that it's a flat 12. It's kind of what made the Testarossa's flat as a flounder body design possible in the first place.

I had one of the official branded Miami Vice Testarossa model kits by Revell in the late 80s and got to marvel at the engine while gluing its plastic parts together. :) (and painting the cylinder heads red :cool: )

Edited by Daytona74
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

I have found out now why the Ferrari emblem is in the right place in the pilot and not afterwards until "Lombard".  The first appearance of the Daytona in the pilot episode is actually a real Ferrari owned by Dr. Roger Sherman of Coconut Grove, Florida. 

That’s only in one scene though, right? When he’s about to jump in Leon’s car?

1 minute ago, Mvice8489 said:

Red heads

A16189DC-1D16-403D-9C38-44EEB364A476.jpeg

0D1AD847-2CEA-4DC9-8076-82560D80B46F.jpeg

3D7E533E-70A2-441C-963D-B4E7130DA703.jpeg

Check out the coffee table at Ferrari of Atlanta :p

FFC87347-79A7-49CF-B77B-59F93A6E03E4.jpeg

65A56AB4-6E1E-46E5-B81C-A7CD6180BD2A.jpeg

20 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

That is correct. That is the ONLY  time that there is ever a real black Daytona in that series.   Crockett is sitting in it reading the newspaper waiting for somebody .

A real yellow Daytona appears in  The episode ‘one way ticket’  by the lawyer who fake crashes his plane into the sea .    In that episode Crockett takes his Daytona to the mechanic. That is the only time in the series that you get to actually see a real Daytona any fake Daytona on the screen together. One is yellow one is black. 

1 minute ago, Dadrian said:

That’s only in one scene though, right? When he’s about to jump in Leon’s car?

I noticed the real car outside of Wheeler's house as well and in they alleyway. I am sure the real Daytona is used throughout the episode.

6 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

I noticed the real car outside of Wheeler's house as well and in they alleyway. I am sure the real Daytona is used throughout the episode.

nope. just look at the Windshield shape and frame, it's clearly C3 Corvette.

this is the scene with the genuine Daytona, note the angle of the A-pillar, the quarterlights, the tan top boot and the position of the rear sidemarker. Also no flares on the wheel arches.

image.png.8b398c23dec0143289b1ad2eccda6290.png

Edited by daytona365
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mvice8489 said:

That is correct. That is the ONLY  time that there is ever a real black Daytona in that series.   Crockett is sitting in it reading the newspaper waiting for somebody .

A real yellow Daytona appears in  The episode ‘one way ticket’  by the lawyer who fake crashes his plane into the sea .    In that episode Crockett takes his Daytona to the mechanic. That is the only time in the series that you get to actually see a real Daytona any fake Daytona on the screen together. One is yellow one is black. 

The thing is why couldn't they have used Thurmonds yellow Daytona and spray it black? 

Edited by RedDragon86

Totally OT for this thread, but since we're talking cars I always love seeing scenes on shows like Blue Bloods where someone gets into the back of Danny's Charger and then gets out again. Clearly a civilian-model car with flashing lights as opposed to an actual unmarked.

Circling back, though, I do agree the Daytona suited Crockett's original persona better than the Testarossa. They were showing Burnett as a "wind in his hair" boat guy, so a convertible makes total sense. Of course, they'd also be fools to pass up an offered Ferrari for the show...so from that perspective the change makes sense.I also got the sense that at the same time they started shifting Burnett away from the original cover feel to something a bit darker and slightly more sophisticated. 

8 minutes ago, daytona365 said:

nope. just look at the Windshield shape and frame, it's clearly C3 Corvette.

But then why is the Ferrari emblem in the correct place? If it was a C3 Corvette why move the emblem higher up after the pilot.

Image result for miami vice daytona spyder brothers keeper

The Ferrari emblem is in the centre of the front lights where it should be here.

Edited by RedDragon86