Sonny's Code

mjcmmv

vor 5 Stunden schrieb mjcmmv:

But, to get back to the original question, what other ways did Crockett bend the law? Robbie mentions the Cool Running episode when Crockett almost got Noogie killed. But there are other examples. 

I've thought of two more, but I'm sure you guys will come up with others. 

Death and the lady: slapping Glantz

Forgive us our debts: punching Barkley in the pool and nearly drowning him

Home Invaders: grabbing the bouncer‘s balls

And there are many more.

16 minutes ago, Tom said:

Death and the lady: slapping Glantz

Forgive us our debts: punching Barkley in the pool and nearly drowning him

Home Invaders: grabbing the bouncer‘s balls

And there are many more.

These are great, Tom! Forgot about the last one! :)

Another one, that came to mind is in "The Good Collar," using Archie to get a 15 year old drug dealer. 

Again this a really interesting topic! 

It's shows a different side of Crockett, that I didn't consciously pay attention to while watching the show, as I, I guess only chose to see the good side. 

Edited by summer84
  • Like 1

All this goes to my position that Sonny’s ‘code’ was very flexible and often based on his needs alone. He sure wasn’t above putting a CI, a fellow cop, or even his own partner at risk if he thought it might benefit his case in some way. 

• Like 2

This is a simple one, but still not according to code. 

Sonny and Rico are going to search Archie's apartment after he was killed and instead of a warrant, Sonny flashes a "warranty for radial tires"!! :)

Edited by mjcmmv

46 minutes ago, summer84 said:

It's shows a different side of Crockett, that I didn't consciously pay attention to while watching the show, as I, I guess only chose to see the good side. 

I'm loving it too! 

We're getting to see a real "human being" with faults and flaws. Not a plastic person the network wanted us to see. 

Edited by mjcmmv
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, summer84 said:

In "One Eyed Jack," when he tries to help and get the tools back of Barbara's husband. Taking bribe from Demarco. 

Well, he was accused of taking a bribe-DeMarco set it up and made it look that way. I think the money in the envelope was really to pay for Barbara's husband's tool that DeMarco stole. Sonny said he was going to hurt DeMarco (forgot how)  if he didn't compensate for that. But Sonny had no way of proving he wasn't just accepting a bribe.

Edited by mjcmmv

Don't know if it was Crockett or Castillo that set him up with the gun but either way they bent the rules in "Yankee Dollar" when Glide gets booked for the murder of Tim Davis, as it was the gun used in the killing (though it was actually Max who pulled the trigger)

I know Glide deserves it but still it wasn't right that he went to jail, if you go by the book and everything. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

Don't know if it was Crockett or Castillo that set him up with the gun but either way they bent the rules in "Yankee Dollar" when Glide gets booked for the murder of Tim Davis, as it was the gun used in the killing (though it was actually Max who pulled the trigger)

I know Glide deserves it but still it wasn't right that he went to jail, if you go by the book and everything. 

That whole last exchange seems like it was thrown together in post with voice-overs—has a very hurry-up-last-minute feel for a denouement. 

I still love the episode though. Great guest stars, great locations, great music, and some funny moments, too. 

Btw- (from my post a few months back) I think I FINALLY figured out why Lydia is mad at Charlie at the end. She had to sacrifice some of her people in the garage explosion, too. Two men are briefly seen exiting a vehicle with an attaché walking towards the garage before the explosion. I caught that for the first time the other night. :baby:

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

That's a good one!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, summer84 said:

Another one, that came to mind is in "The Good Collar," using Archie to get a 15 year old drug dealer. 

I don't think The Good Collar is a good example of Sonny bending his code.  He didn't "use" Archie, but instead fought hard to prevent the boy from participating in the sting to get the 15-year-old drug dealer, when the higher-ups (not Castillo) were pressuring him to use Archie.  Sonny only agreed to let Archie participate when Archie himself insisted.  Even then, Sonny was uncomfortable with the plan, and of course was proven right in the end, not that it was any comfort to him.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Robbie C. said:

Let’s not forget Down for the Count, when his zealousness got Larry killed. To me that makes Hackman look like a speed bump. We’d seen shades of it before with Barbara, Noogie and Izzy, not to mention Eddie in the pilot. 

I've never re-watched Down for the Count--it was just too sad.  Probably I should watch it again, because I remember thinking it was really well-done.

12 minutes ago, vicegirl85 said:

I don't think The Good Collar is a good example of Sonny bending his code.  He didn't "use" Archie, but instead fought hard to prevent the boy from participating in the sting to get the 15-year-old drug dealer, when the higher-ups (not Castillo) were pressuring him to use Archie.  Sonny only agreed to let Archie participate when Archie himself insisted.  Even then, Sonny was uncomfortable with the plan, and of course was proven right in the end, not that it was any comfort to him.

Good point! The outcome destroyed Crockett!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vicegirl85 said:

But I think that had more to do with Crockett personally identifying with Archie. If he hadn't, I don't think it would have bothered him near as much. His objection was more personal.

• Like 2

I agree that he identified with Archie.  And if Archie had been an adult, I don't think he'd have hesitated.  But I do believe he objected to the use of Archie because Archie was a kid.  Generally, he was pretty compassionate with teens (see Milk Run).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, vicegirl85 said:

I agree that he identified with Archie.  And if Archie had been an adult, I don't think he'd have hesitated.  But I do believe he objected to the use of Archie because Archie was a kid.  Generally, he was pretty compassionate with teens (see Milk Run).

Agreed wholeheartedly ! 

6 hours ago, summer84 said:

In that case, I like the code Castillo lived by, although I can't remember, if he ever stepped over the line. 

Castillo's a whole other question, but I think he had two codes. There was one related to the job, and the other related to his honor as a man and a warrior. He may have stepped on the line for the first one, but I don't think he EVER compromised the second one.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

Castillo's a whole other question, but I think he had two codes. There was one related to the job, and the other related to his honor as a man and a warrior. He may have stepped on the line for the first one, but I don't think he EVER compromised the second one.

Such a complex character. 

17 hours ago, Dadrian said:

That whole last exchange seems like it was thrown together in post with voice-overs—has a very hurry-up-last-minute feel for a denouement. 

I still love the episode though. Great guest stars, great locations, great music, and some funny moments, too. 

Btw- (from my post a few months back) I think I FINALLY figured out why Lydia is mad at Charlie at the end. She had to sacrifice some of her people in the garage explosion, too. Two men are briefly seen exiting a vehicle with an attaché walking towards the garage before the explosion. I caught that for the first time the other night. :baby:

Thanks for this Dadrian, I didn't know either. This makes total sense :thumbsup:

I love Yankee Dollar too, its a brilliant episode.

• Like 1

On 8/6/2019 at 9:14 PM, mjcmmv said:

Well, he was accused of taking a bribe-DeMarco set it up and made it look that way. I think the money in the envelope was really to pay for Barbara's husband's tool that DeMarco stole. Sonny said he was going to hurt DeMarco (forgot how)  if he didn't compensate for that. But Sonny had no way of proving he wasn't just accepting a bribe.

You're right, he was set up. But wasn't it still bending the law, if he went out on his own and made deals with a criminal receiving money from him? 

Just now, summer84 said:

You're right, he was set up. But wasn't it still bending the law, if he went out on his own and made deals with a criminal receiving money from him? 

Good point. I never thought of that.

I thought you thought he had taken a bribe. LOL!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, vicegirl85 said:

Wow, I was completely wrong about that one. Don't know, why I remembered it that way. Haven't watched these Season 3 episodes in a long time. Looks like, I have some re watching to do of the show. :)

• Like 1

On 8/6/2019 at 8:22 PM, summer84 said:

Yes a good one Summer - I like @Toms “Death and the Lady” example of him going back to slap Glantz. That was over the line - and just showed the way Crockett was going , he just couldn’t let go.

• Like 1