Travelling back in time to Miami Vice 1986

summer84

Someone asked, where Miami Vice ranked among the greatest TV shows of all times. Well there isn't really a definitive list, as it all the depends on which source you look to/who you ask, the criteria etc. Rolling Stones Magazine didn't feature Miami Vice at all among the 100 greatest TV shows of all times, but they asked people working in the film industry and critics, which aren't always right, not the TV viewers in general. However their readers ranked Miami Vice on a 2nd place among the 10 best tv shows of the 80's with Cheers having the first place. And neither did IGN creating a list with Top 100 TV shows of all time.

It was fun to travel back in time and see people watching Miami Vice when it originally aired back in 1986 featuring the then commercials although had to cut that out and with Michael Talbott and his funny comments. Beautiful. There are 10 clips. I think the length of the video was close to 30 min. Had to cut it down to 10 to fit with Instagram. 

Edited by summer84
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I personally also prefer a smaller TV screen. Used to have one with a 27" screen until TV channels went from analogue over to digital, than I got "something bigger" in the voice of Noogie. 

Days are days. It's what we make of them that matters. I had some good days in the '80s, but also some really crappy ones. If you're always looking back, you never see what's in front of you.

7 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

Days are days. It's what we make of them that matters. I had some good days in the '80s, but also some really crappy ones. If you're always looking back, you never see what's in front of you.

I understand that, but I think we tend to hold on to the times that made us happy. The 80's meant a lot to me. Not just because of Miami Vice.

The show helps me remember. 

Edited by mjcmmv
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, mjcmmv said:

I understand that, but I think we tend to hold on to the times that made us happy. The 80's meant a lot to me. Not just because of Miami Vice.

The show helps me remember. 

And I get that. I just get wary when people start claiming decade X was the best ever and try to constantly relive it. Like sad old hippies in the microbus. Or the punk rockers who just can't let go of that part of the '80s (there was more than Vice going on in the '80s, after all). Most of what I remember from the '80s actually has nothing to do with Vice, which I didn't really watch until it hit syndication. My '80s looked nothing like what you see on the show, except maybe for the kids in Nobody Lives Forever. Vice to me is a very fractured image of a slice of the '80s. And that, I think, is why I appreciate the more topical episodes more than some do. The times when Vice was saying it's not all champagne and roses.

• Like 4

Just now, Robbie C. said:

And I get that. I just get wary when people start claiming decade X was the best ever and try to constantly relive it. Like sad old hippies in the microbus. Or the punk rockers who just can't let go of that part of the '80s (there was more than Vice going on in the '80s, after all). Most of what I remember from the '80s actually has nothing to do with Vice, which I didn't really watch until it hit syndication. My '80s looked nothing like what you see on the show, except maybe for the kids in Nobody Lives Forever. Vice to me is a very fractured image of a slice of the '80s. And that, I think, is why I appreciate the more topical episodes more than some do. The times when Vice was saying it's not all champagne and roses.

You're right. My '80's years don't come close to what you experienced. But I look back to those times and wish I could be there again. A happy time for me, but I understand if you don't feel the same. 

• Like 1

Being a 90's kid growing up in that decade was for me a great time as well. But would also liked to have experienced how it was in the 80s. It seemed like a fun time culturally and also because of Miami Vice. 

Edited by summer84
  • Like 1

Just now, summer84 said:

Being a 90's kid growing up in that decade was for me a great time as well. But would also liked to have experienced how it was in the 80s. It seemed like a fun time culturally. 

I didn't care for some of the clothing styles for women, or the crazy hair styles, for that matter. But I loved the music and movies that were out then. Up until MV, there were only a few TV shows that were original and didn't stick to a "formula"-(good guy get's bad guy, the end). Hill Street Blues comes to mind. 

For me it was a fun time, culturally. I haven't found a decade yet to equal it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mjcmmv said:

I didn't care for some of the clothing styles for women, or the crazy hair styles, for that matter. But I loved the music and movies that were out then. Up until MV, there were only a few TV shows that were original and didn't stick to a "formula"-(good guy get's bad guy, the end). Hill Street Blues comes to mind. 

For me it was a fun time, culturally. I haven't found a decade yet to equal it. 

I admire the 80s for being very creative, when it comes to fashion/style and music. I agree the shoulder pads was a bit too much. Some of that style also passed on to the 90's for instance the big hair in TV shows. 

As I 90s kid I was also fortuned to have lived before technology really took over with cassette tapes and VHS etc. Playing outside everyday till dark. Not sure, why people say, that kids are not outside anymore. They are out there. Sitting looking at their phones. :) Seriously though there are kids also playing. Maybe not as active, so research shows. And the 90's produced some of the best TV shows, but regarding music I preferred and grew up with early to maybe mid 00's music. 

I think each decade has something special to it, when look you back, except for this one (jk) although some are really memorable and really stand out in people's minds like the 80s. 

Edited by summer84
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, summer84 said:

Being a 90's kid growing up in that decade was for me a great time as well. But would also liked to have experienced how it was in the 80s. It seemed like a fun time culturally and also because of Miami Vice. 

Bro it was just soooo limitless.  MV was simply the right show at the right time and it was awesome....for the first three seasons.  As evidenced by COCAINE COWBOYS the show (MV) barely scratched the surface of what was actually happening in the real south florida world.  The real MV was like a mouse fighting a gorilla.  There was literally NOTHING these guys couldn't buy or control.  From 1980-84 or so the Columbian cartel was more powerful than the US government.  As I've stated before in 1982 the Miami district federal reserve deposited more money into the US national federal reserve than all the other districts COMBINED! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, summer84 said:

the 80s were a decade of provocation. like if the youth were saying to the politics, or more globally the conformists, hey look, yes we dress up like c..., but because we are fed up, and we want you to be aware of it.

the 80s weren't superior to other decades, except maybe on one point. no one can deny that in matter of music, especially the pop music, the 80 were an exceptional era. i mean when you look at all the 80s hits, they're all mythical. even me who were a kid in the 80s, i keep discovering (cool) hits of that era. yep that era was definitely blessed on a musical level

1 hour ago, S.FL84 said:

Bro it was just soooo limitless.  MV was simply the right show at the right time and it was awesome....for the first three seasons.  As evidenced by COCAINE COWBOYS the show (MV) barely scratched the surface of what was actually happening in the real south florida world.  The real MV was like a mouse fighting a gorilla.  There was literally NOTHING these guys couldn't buy or control.  From 1980-84 or so the Columbian cartel was more powerful than the US government.  As I've stated before in 1982 the Miami district federal reserve deposited more money into the US national federal reserve than all the other districts COMBINED! 

i didn't know that, this is interesting. the Medellin cartel wasn't more powerful than the US, but they were more powerful than the Colombian governement, there is no doubt about that. proof is that the Colombian government (even then allied to the US) started changing the steam, only when they got allied with the Cali cartel, and set the Pepes up

Edited by jpaul1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, jpaul1 said:

the 80s were a decade of provocation. like if the youth were saying to the politics, or more globally the conformists, hey look, yep we dress up like c..., but because we are fed up, and we want you to be aware of it.

the 80s weren't superior to other decades, except maybe on one point. no one can deny that in matter of music, especially the pop music, the 80 were an exceptional era. i mean when you look at all the 80s hits, they're all mythical. even me who were a kid in the 80s i keep discovering (cool) hits of that era. yeah that era was definitely blessed on a musical level

i didn't know that, this is interesting. the Medellin cartel wasn't more powerful than the US, but they were more powerful than the Colombian governement, there is no doubt about that proof is that the Colombian government (even then allied to the US) started changing the steam, only when they got allied with the Cali cartel, and set up the Pepes

Bro watch COCAINE COWBOYS.  They bought just about EVERY ranking politician in Dade county.  It got soo bad Jon Roberts asked a sargeant w/ the North Bay if he could unload duffel bags of cocaine BEHIND the police dept from a boat on the canal.  The sargeant said "I'll tell ya what gimme $50k (about 200k in today's money) & we'll it put in a patrol car and take wherever you want so it'll for sure get there".  < This is a FACT!  Later the FBI arrested the entire damn dept down to the secretaries and janitors.

https://www.apnews.com/ae1d9cbece762d08ca39875b7e2ed6ed

The infamous "river cops" were stealing about $700k/wk from coke dealers then killing them.  Several of them are STILL in prision.  No disrespect but you have NO clue as to just how powerful the Medellin Cartel was in 1984.  NONE.

https://www.nytimes.com/1986/10/12/us/7-former-officers-on-trial-in-miami.html

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article110313597.html

http://www.miamibeach411.com/news/miami-river-cops

Edited by S.FL84

Money laundering was epidemic through Miami banks, and the astronomical ... In 1979 the Federal Reserve Bank of Miami reported a $5.5 billion cash surplus ... than the combined surpluses of every other Federal Reserve Bank branch in the country COMBINED!!!. ... with every deposit or withdrawal of more than $10,000 in cash!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Greenback

The operation was established in response to the explosive growth of money laundering in South Florida following the increase in drug trafficking in the region.[1][2] A 1979 cash-flow study by the Federal Reserve Bank found that Florida had a $5.5 billion cash surplus at a time when the rest of the country had a cash deficit.[

https://books.google.com/books?id=Y3dGino_7DoC&pg=PT32&lpg=PT32&dq=landmark+bank+miami+deposited+more+money+in+federal+reserve+than+all+other+banks+combined&source=bl&ots=UJG-IC9jM4&sig=ACfU3U2y4Y6Re1QqGjXnPx9XYvsuFYdDqw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwix4eehovTkAhUwGDQIHU1OAJkQ6AEwFHoECAcQAQ#v=onepage&q=landmark bank miami deposited more money in federal reserve than all other banks combined&f=false

Edited by S.FL84

More money than the goddam US Gov.  and HALF...repeat H-A-L-F of all the cash in the entire United States in the early 1980's!!!

The politician himself estimated the money being laudered AFTER the vig or illegal surcharge dirty bankers were charging was 20 BILLION.  Remember that was in 1979 which would be over 70billion in today's money which is more than the f'in US government has combined in all it vaults.  You really think the cocaine cartel was not more powerful than the US gov?  Think again friend...THEY WERE!!!

Your crazy if you think they weren't more powerful!!!

Edited by S.FL84

Well, it's one thing to pay a few cops, even though they were higher ranking ones. But the government in Washington DC was still on a different power level. They have proven that later with the war on drugs, DEA operations in Colombia and so on. 

But of course, the cartel had a massive impact on Florida during the first half of the 80s. Today's skyline in Miami wouldn't be the same without the cocaine dollars. 

Edited by squeezem3

Bro the goddam director of the CIA (Robert Duetche) was soo obviously lying about the f'in CIA selling cocaine in south central LA to pay for off the books operations in central america.  He's VERY nervously wringing his hands (2:45 point) and squirming like a worm.  Face Facts:  In the early 1980's the power of the cocaine cartel (MV) was more powerful than the US gov.  FACT!!!

Edited by S.FL84

And the defense budget for 1984 was somewhere in the neighborhood of $247 billion.

Joo need to lay off the producials of your entrepreneurial endervorations. Read some 'Emingway. The ladies love 'Emingway.

• Haha 1