Travelling back in time to Miami Vice 1986

summer84

2 minutes ago, Matt5 said:

Shame the network  played around with the time slot nothing affected a show more back in the mid to late 80s.

I agree. It did have an impact on the ratings as MV couldn't compete with CBS long-running TV drama/soap opera Dallas. 

On 10/6/2019 at 6:08 AM, summer84 said:

I agree. It did have an impact on the ratings as MV couldn't compete with CBS long-running TV drama/soap opera Dallas. 

It couldn't compete because Dallas had a MUCH wider audience whereas MV had a somewhat smaller audience. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I agree by #4 it was done.  Anything that burned as white hot as MV did for the first two and a few of #3 seasons cannot last.  MV was moving popular culture ahead at light speed and just like the Millineum Fulcun(sp!?) it could not sustain that speed very long. Dallas was like watching your old country aunt & uncle argue over where they were going ballroom dancing.

Edited by S.FL84
  • Haha 2

Despite trouncing MV in the Neilson ratings Dallas did NOTHING to change anything.  As I've stated before MV changed the very format of what it was based on.  Music videos adopted many of Michael Mann's techniques.  South beach was junkie slum before MV and a millionaire playground after it all due to a freakin TV show!  It affected Ferrari's sales like nothing before or since no matter what the car company's marketing department tried, the same w/ boats, men's fashions, jeez the list is too long.  Dallas just had a much wider audience.  Living at the pace MV was set on on would've killed JR Ewing whereas Sue Ellen or Bobby or no one else could.

Edited by S.FL84
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Glades said:

I´m not able to read this, because the page isn´t aviable in Europe. Maybe someone could copy it for me? That would be very kind.

It should be accessible, if you type in Miami Vice vs Dallas sunsentinel on Google. It's the first article/website titled Season 4: "Miami Vice must prove itself again."

Edited by summer84
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, summer84 said:

It should be readable, if you type in Miami Vice vs Dallas sunsentinel on Google. It's the first article/website titled Season 4: "Miami Vice must prove itself again."

Unfortunatly not. I get no link to this site using "Miami Vice vs Dallas sunsentinel " this way.

For what reason ever, there are some websites you can read in the US but not in Europe. When I use your link from above i´m on the website of sun sentinel. And they apologize, that´s not possible to read this site in Europe. It´s not the first time this happened.

But mj and Vicefan sent me a copy of the article. Many thanks to them! And thank you very much for the link. Very interesting information!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1