NEW VIDEO! Sounds from Crockett’s Theme

Dadrian

2 minutes ago, summer84 said:

That is awesome! Thank you very much for the video! :clap:

You’re welcome, and thanks so much! =)

• Like 1

Amazing video!  I had no idea there was so much going on in this tune!

I learned a new word:  "pad"

A synth pad is a sustained chord or tone generated by a synthesizer, often employed for background harmony and atmosphere in much the same fashion that a string section is often used in orchestral music and film scores.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, airtommy said:

Amazing video!  I had no idea there was so much going on in this tune!

I learned a new word:  "pad"

A synth pad is a sustained chord or tone generated by a synthesizer, often employed for background harmony and atmosphere in much the same fashion that a string section is often used in orchestral music and film scores.

Thanks Tommy! Yes, all those lush undertones Jan was so great at applying to emotional scenes in MV were generously spread with “pads”. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I also love the intro.  Perfect.   :)   I gotta ask - from which episode were the 2 clips of people walking?  The first one looks like Calderone heading to his airplane, maybe?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, airtommy said:

I gotta ask - from which episode were the 2 clips of people walking?  The first one looks like Calderone heading to his airplane, maybe?

That’s me!! :):thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Administrators

Amazing stuff!  I mean, if you don't know how to play it's amazing stuff to watch.  What did we ever do without synthesizers? What would Vice have sounded like without them? 

An even bigger question:  What would this site be like without you D?!  I for one can't imagine it!

Carry on! :thumbsup:

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, Ferrariman said:

Amazing stuff!  I mean, if you don't know how to play it's amazing stuff to watch.  What did we ever do without synthesizers? What would Vice have sounded like without them? 

An even bigger question:  What would this site be like without you D?!  I for one can't imagine it!

Carry on! :thumbsup:

Jan was a main cast member for me, and his synths were his costume—just important as DJ&PMT’s costumes to the style and uniqueness of the show. 

Thanks, Ferrariman. I don’t know what would do without you guys!  

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Crockettt said:

Great work Dadrian! DX7 preset used for the lead sounds quite similar to the harp preset. :)

They are similar indeed, but isolated side by side, the patch in my video is quite different than the regular DX7 harps from the ROM cartridges. 

1 hour ago, mjcmmv said:

This was amazing! Thank you so much, Dadrian! Loved the "additional drums"!

Thank you!! For everything!

• Like 1

A Rockman...and an MXR flanger. Those have been my two most favorite guitar effects since I first heard Boston & Van Halen as a kid. Given the keytar solo from this is my all-time favorite synth guitar solo it feels fitting in a way I kinda feel I've waited my whole life to discover. You're glorious, Dadrian. I love how much you love keeping the spirit of Jan's music alive. Btw-my jaw dropped when I saw you whip out the Fairlight. Very, very nice. One question, though-how did you figure out all the settings? Did you have some info you found out or was it all constant tweaking? 

• Thanks 1

this is awesome Dade :). is actual MODX7 the DX7 modern equivalent. your memorimoog looks impressive, even though prices are starting to become insane for these things. they cost even more than most expensive synthesizers. I believe you feel very lucky KRDmvvY.gif

• Thanks 1

There are no words, this is just great! :fireworks: :clap::thumbsup:

Have you ever considered you might be Jan's long lost son or something? :)

Like Ferrariman said, what would we do without you?

Keep up the fantastic work!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

@Dadrian I have a question about the rhythm guitar sound. It consists of two layers: first comes from Fairlight and the second is the DX-7 guitar patch used extensively in "The Talk"?

Edited by Crockettt
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Crockettt said:

@Dadrian I have a question about the rhythm guitar sound. It consists of two layers: first comes from Fairlight and the second is the DX-7 guitar patch used extensively in "The Talk"?

Exactly! :clap:

Its one of the Spanish/acoustic guitar sounds from the factory ROMs (ROM 4 maybe?). If you look closely at that clip in the video, you’ll see I renamed the patch “The Talk” on my old mkII. 

And of course the Fairlight guitar is the thick chorus guitar heard on a few MV songs—prominently on “Boat Party” and “Cool Runnin’”. 

• Like 2

On 2/23/2020 at 4:41 AM, zidders said:

A Rockman...and an MXR flanger. Those have been my two most favorite guitar effects since I first heard Boston & Van Halen as a kid. Given the keytar solo from this is my all-time favorite synth guitar solo it feels fitting in a way I kinda feel I've waited my whole life to discover. You're glorious, Dadrian. I love how much you love keeping the spirit of Jan's music alive. Btw-my jaw dropped when I saw you whip out the Fairlight. Very, very nice. One question, though-how did you figure out all the settings? Did you have some info you found out or was it all constant tweaking? 

Thanks so much! That’s actually the Arturia CMI V program with their white “Essentials” controller. I use an old white CRT monitor to complete the vibe. As for the tweaking, most of these sounds are pretty much factory presets on the video—except for the distortion lead. That really took hours collectively, but if you look at my pinned comment on YouTube, and click back and forth from the “reference” time marker and the “distortion lead” marker, the outcome is pretty convincing for a hobbiest! :dance2:

• Like 3

On 2/23/2020 at 8:34 AM, jpaul1 said:

this is awesome Dade :). is actual MODX7 the DX7 modern equivalent. your memorimoog looks impressive, even though prices are starting to become insane for these things. they cost even more than most expensive synthesizers. I believe you feel very lucky KRDmvvY.gif

Thanks! 

As for the MODX, yes you can be in DX7 heaven with that unit!

And yes, my Memorymoog is totally my unicorn! :fireworks: :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Retro80sfan said:

There are no words, this is just great! :fireworks: :clap::thumbsup:

Have you ever considered you might be Jan's long lost son or something? :)

Like Ferrariman said, what would we do without you?

Keep up the fantastic work!

:) :) :) 

Thank you!

You have made some really great contributions yourself, My Friend! :thumbsup:

Edited by Dadrian
  • Thanks 1

On 2/21/2020 at 8:47 PM, Dadrian said:

It gives me great pleasure finally share this:

So....looks like Jan Hammer is a member of this forum and he uses a nickname of "Dadrian"..... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

The ''DIET COKE''?!?! You're the MAXIMUM COKE, Dadrian!!! You just put all types of sugar and even added a cherry on top of it :radio:

Man, this is AMAZING. Loved each single thing from your video, right from the intro till the small details such as the fonts from the series episode titles. I just entered to check the sound and finished watching the entire thing. Can't get enough :clap::thumbsup:

A pure JOY!

• Thanks 1