What are you all doing with your recent downtime?

IA-SteveB

I'm curious what people are doing in the wake of COVID-19 shutdowns in your city.  In my smallish Iowa city, all schools, gyms, restaurants and bars are closed until further notice.  Most public places are sparsely populated, which is what we want to see right now to flatten the curve.  The problem is, there are few diversions to take one's mind off of the current times we are in.  I have refrained from reading any more on the pandemic.  I realize this is a very serious situation we are in but I am just curious how people are dealing with it in their own way?  For me, I am catching up on reading and doing projects around the house that don't require me to go to a home improvement store.  I have been watching a lot of retro TV and basically finding anything to keep my mind occupied so I am not worrying too much.  At the same time, I am feeling terrible for everyone who is affected either directly (being sick or quarantined) or indirectly through furloughs and other economic hardships.  There are so many people being selfish and it is times like these that really show it.   These are strange times for us all and I do wish you all the best both for your physical and mental health.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Wife doesn't work and I'm retired so aside from doing a little shopping or eating out once in a while it hasn't affected us much.  Things in Ontario, Canada are pretty much the same as everywhere else. No public gatherings, restaurants are drive through or delivery only, yada yada yada.   I have plenty of hobbies to keep me busy and a huge video collection when I get tired of watching the hourly virus update. 

People just need to use their heads for something other than a hat rack and it will eventually pass.

• Like 2

Doing the same as usual, when at home. Even though I'm not at risk of getting severe/deadly symptoms, I have been worried about being infected, as it is a new virus and there isn't much knowledge about it yet. Aside from the elderly and people with chronic diseases/low immune system most will experience mild symptoms, so we've been informed.

It's interesting to note, I read today that South Korea hasn't shut down the entire country from getting the virus under control, they have just spoken openly about it - meaning informing the citizens about keeping distance and good hygiene and done massive of testing of the population. So the number of infected seems to have reached it's peak and moving in a different/positive direction now. But we'll see whose strategy has proven to be the best, when the pandemic is over.

It seems the virus could return again in November and might become a regular virus along with the cold and flu.

Stay safe everyone!

Edited by summer84
  • Like 2

Hopefully there is a vaccine if this becomes part of life like a cold and flu.

My biggest fear is not knowing and passing it to someone who can’t deal with it due to underlying health issues.  Doing my best with social distancing and hygiene practices as always.

• Like 2

I've heard there being a vaccine developt in a year/year and a half. I can't remember, which country but some said it would be ready in three months, although because of the procedures it has to go through, to make it safe for humans it'll take longer to be available. 

• Administrators

I work in a hosptial so no shutting down for us. My day consists of one leadership meeting to the next which as of today all went to teleconferences so none of us gather and everyone stays in their office. 

I’m really, really tired of hearing of this. We can thank our beloved media for blowing this out of proportion for ratings and money.

I’ll be the first one to admit a tiny little virus can be a show stopper and I’ve had the pleasure of experiencing what they are capable of doing but that was the very rare exception not the norm. I’m not concerned about this one (as I quietly clutch my heart! :dance2: ).

The ones that are affected is the sick, elderly, immune compromised and toddlers. Ironically that’s that same population group that’s affected by any other flu. So if normally healthy adults get it, they get a cold for 7-10 days...

Wash your hands often, use an alcohol based hand sanitizer (externally :p ),  don’t have people sneeze in your face, and don’t touch your face with your hands either.

Good luck, be safe!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, timm525 said:

I work in a hosptial so no shutting down for us. My day consists of one leadership meeting to the next which as of today all went to teleconferences so none of us gather and everyone stays in their office. 

I’m really, really tired of hearing of this. We can thank our beloved media for blowing this out of proportion for ratings and money.

I’ll be the first one to admit a tiny little virus can be a show stopper and I’ve had the pleasure of experiencing what they are capable of doing but that was the very rare exception not the norm. I’m not concerned about this one (as I quietly clutch my heart! :dance2: ).

The ones that are affected is the sick, elderly, immune compromised and toddlers. Ironically that’s that same population group that’s affected by any other flu. So if normally healthy adults get it, they get a cold for 7-10 days...

Wash your hands often, use an alcohol based hand sanitizer (externally :p ),  don’t have people sneeze in your face, and don’t touch your face with your hands either.

Good luck, be safe!

Agree completely. I have relatives who work in healthcare and it's the same thing. The level of hysteria around this is far more concerning to me. But we seem to be in the minority...

Yep....government/media (same thing really) are always great at causing hysteria.  My wife and I are still working as usual.  Other than checking the weather, I haven't watched the news in years.  All it does is put me in a bad mood.  We aren't really worried about getting sick, just worried about what the effects of all this hysteria will be, financially and so on.  Regardless, thanks to everyone on here for keeping a place of refuge active during crazy times.  It's nice to log on here and escape for a bit.  Hope everyone stays well!!

• Like 1

No downtime for me as I work in healthcare.  Normally mine is a M-F job but I went in on both Sat and Sun last weekend and have been at work late every day.  I don't even work in direct patient care and my workplace hasn't seen a COVID-19 patient (yet).  But lots of preparation and dealing with worried patients as well as staff.  And then there's the whole shortage of N-95 respirator masks and twice-daily conference calls between facilities in our system.

• Like 1

I can tell you one thing.  It is sickening to see how situations like this turn people into savage, selfish people. It is times like this that you see what people are made of and it is downright depressing.

• Like 4

I have not had downtime from work either.  I work in healthcare information technology and have been busy with preparedness meetings every day in addition to getting the infrastructure ready for additional load and remote capacity.  Couple that with increased cybersecurity threats and, yes, we are busy.  :(  I do get to stay in my bat cave for the most part.

Edited by IA-SteveB
  • Like 1

I run my own handyman business and am still getting calls for work.  That won't change.  But I have seen a slowdown.  So during the downtime I am doing something I have wanted to do for decades.  I am a World War 2 history buff and I finally am reading the six volume set of Winston Churchill history of WW2.  

• Like 1

• Administrators

Watching Miami Vice, of course. :thumbsup:

I truly hope this fades away quickly. Governments were too slow to react and we were making silly memes out of it, unaware of how serious it could get. Now look. Shops are empty because of panic buyers, places closed, public events and sports cancelled. 

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 3

On 3/18/2020 at 11:00 AM, James said:

Watching Miami Vice, of course. :thumbsup:

I truly hope this fades away quickly. Governments were too slow to react and we were making silly memes out of it, unaware of how serious it could get. Now look. Shops are empty because of panic buyers, places closed, public events and sports cancelled. 

Stay safe everyone.

I hope so too, but I guess we'll have to wait and see how it develops probably expect that it'll last a while yet before the turnaround.

I thought it was only during summer? :) But always a good opportunity/reason to watch some more! :thumbsup:  

Just saw this on "Throwback Lounge" on Instagram. :)   Always gotta keep the spirit up.

https://imgur.com/a/byrfTB

Edited by summer84
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, summer84 said:

I hope so too. 

I thought it was only during summer? :)

But always a good opportunity/reason to watch some more! :thumbsup:

Stay safe around the world everyone - the number of high cases in Italy, Middle East and the United States in particular.

• Like 2

• Administrators
10 hours ago, IA-SteveB said:

I can tell you one thing.  It is sickening to see how situations like this turn people into savage, selfish people. It is times like this that you see what people are made of and it is downright depressing.

Situations like this always bring out the best and the worst in people. There have been news warnings here in Ontario about small groups of scammers going door to door claiming to be able to sterilize your home against the virus. People let them in and they rob you as they go through the house.  There are also others offering vaccines online. As we know there is NO vaccine as of yet.  Unfortunately they target the elderly because they're the easiest targets.  Please pass these warnings to anyone you know. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

I guess the best we can say is that we can always come to this site where the virus can't touch us!

• Like 5

Its kinda weird a dirty chinese person to eat a bat. Much more weird its the idiot didnt boiled the bat. Now we are all screwed up.

• Administrators
37 minutes ago, Mr. Calderon said:

Its kinda weird a dirty chinese person to eat a bat. Much more weird its the idiot didnt boiled the bat. Now we are all screwed up.

Mr. C!  Always the bad boy!  :sick:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, airtommy said:

Some people are cashing in on the hot toilet paper market    :)

barnfind.png.c9c83a2d3c4fdb889e705cc978666d5e.png

I'm not worried the Army taught me how to use one small piece of C ration TP.  I won't go into details. 

Vietnam-War-Era-Us-Military-Issue-C-Ration.jpg.759d96ec2d5f8e0c3d2280fdced196f3.jpg

Edited by miamijimf
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, miamijimf said:

I'm not worried the Army taught me how to use one small piece of C ration TP.  I won't go into details. 

Vietnam-War-Era-Us-Military-Issue-C-Ration.jpg.759d96ec2d5f8e0c3d2280fdced196f3.jpg

Wow! Its the #0 issue of the "As**ole Gazete"