What are you all doing with your recent downtime?

IA-SteveB

Thankfully I'm retired from Corrections were the virus is spreading among inmates and staff. I have been watch Vice again and just watched "The Maze" this morning. Also watching "Justified" on blueray. Have done some work on my Mercedes SLK320 and practicing some dry firing, draws and mag changes since ammo is expensive even when I can find it. The gym being closed has been a real letdown as I was going to take some swimming lessons in addition to my regular workouts. I have put on 7 pounds and feel like it's been 20. About to run out of projects I had been putting off until the lockdown happened. Take care everybody. I have a feeling this is going to get worse before it gets better.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

I’ve been working at home since March 16th. I work as a “medical service coordinator”. I work in occupational health with scheduling exams for multiple contracts. It’s kind of complicated... But I did work in-office before then. We’re still working from home with no end in sight due to the virus. I don’t mind so much, as in downtime I have more time to view this forum and doodle around on my music.

• Like 2

Editing YouTube videos, reading and looking for some part time online writing work. Thankfully things are getting back to normal here and we can even start eating at restaurants again in a few weeks. Forget food, I just need a haircut :)

44 minutes ago, IzzyFan99 said:

Editing YouTube videos, reading and looking for some part time online writing work. Thankfully things are getting back to normal here and we can even start eating at restaurants again in a few weeks. Forget food, I just need a haircut :)

After all these months, has the hair grown to a S5 Crockett lenght? :)

Edited by summer84
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, summer84 said:

After all these months, has the hair grown to a S5 Crockett lenght? :)

With his "Harley Davidson & The Marlboro Man" beard

On 3/26/2020 at 1:58 PM, Pandina said:

Hello all,

some of you might remember me from long ago - I missed you.

I was watching the news and when I heard about the situation in the USA I thought about giving my advice to those fellow vicers from there - and the others as well.

Coming from the country with the highest number of deaths worldwide, even more than in China, what I want to tell you is: please do not underestimate the situation, like we actually did at the beginning.

When Covid-19 started on February 21st we had a “lighter” lockdown but even though the WHO and EU praised what we did, it wasn’t enough.

The total lockdown from March 8th to April 3rd (might be extended to 15th) will probably be the key to success, but it’s still too early to say.

I now live in a ghost town and the eerie silence is interrupted only by the sirens of the ambulances.

I work from home and I go out only once a week, queuing up outside a supermarket sometimes also for one hour, until it’s my turn to enter to buy food.

We have received help directly from China, they sent over tons of equipment and many doctors.

We have set up field hospitals in the hospitals’ parking lots and fair pavilions.

Retired doctors have been recalled to help medical staff in their endless shifts.

The Army controls the city’s strategic points and Police patrol the streets: you get fined or even reported if you’re outside without a valid reason, i.e. to buy food or medicines.

After more than one month we’re still struggling: every day 5000+ people get infected and 700+ people die.

It’s not over yet, so stay safe and above all please STAY AT HOME.

Hi Pandina,  Besides going out to buy groceries etc. my wife & I take a short walk around the neighborhood, mostly without a mask since there aren't many people walking. During the day I practice my guitar since the Assisted Living facilities I played at are not having entertainers until this virus is over. 

I did play music twice from a lady's garage for the neighbors sitting in the street or sidewalk. She passed a bucket around & collected almost $60. Not bad for an hour of playing!

Edited by Tony D.
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Well, pals, tomorrow I head back into office. I’ve been working from home, but have to go back. It’s really dumb because I will have to wear a mask all day long talking on the phone. I feel like I will pass out. The other thing is, we can do everything at home we can do in office. I never meet face to face with anyone other than my supervisor, but we’ve been able to talk on phone or video chat when necessary.

Sadly, I don’t think I’ll be able to post on here as much anymore. Since I’ve been working at home, I can post on here and do whatever I want, but in office it’s strictly business. ;( I’ll still try to check on after work, but I feel like my time will be limited.

It’s really sad. I felt kind of blessed by this pandemic thing. I was able to spend a lot of time on here with you great folks, and spend a lot of time working on my music. Now it’s time to “face the music”. Ugh...

Edited by AndrewRemington
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AndrewRemington said:

Well, pals, tomorrow I head back into office. I’ve been working from home, but have to go back. It’s really dumb because I will have to wear a mask all day long talking on the phone. I feel like I will pass out. The other thing is, we can do everything at home we can do in office. I never meet face to face with anyone other than my supervisor, but we’ve been able to talk on phone or video chat when necessary.

Sadly, I don’t think I’ll be able to post on here as much anymore. Since I’ve been working at home, I can post on here and do whatever I want, but in office it’s strictly business. ;( I’ll still try to check on after work, but I feel like my time will be limited.

It’s really sad. I felt kind of blessed by this pandemic thing. I was able to spend a lot of time on here with you great folks, and spend a lot of time working on my music. Now it’s time to “face the music”. Ugh...

I’m a high school social studies teacher and part time history professor so I understand your feelings somewhat.  When summer comes, I have lots of time to post with everyone here, and last spring when things shut down abruptly, I was able to create a schedule through distance learning that suited myself.  We reopened at my high school 2 weeks ago, again through distance learning, but now we have more traditional hours of work.  I’ve worked those hours for 25 years so I’m fine with it, but the requirement that we come into work and sit in our empty classrooms to do the same things I can do from home seems a bit silly. I miss my students but if I can’t see them face to face, why do I have to do it virtually from my classroom instead of at home.  At least the college I teach at is allowing me to work from home.

• Like 2

Well, change of events already! I have to check in with an automated phoneline before going to work and since I have several COVID symptoms, I’ll be working from home a little bit longer. I don’t have fever, but have nausea, body aches, and like a week long headache. I hate to use sick pay because then it cuts from my vacation time. ;( But I doubt I’ll be taking any vacation this year... Other than a stay-cation!

15 hours ago, pahonu said:

I’m a high school social studies teacher and part time history professor so I understand your feelings somewhat.  When summer comes, I have lots of time to post with everyone here, and last spring when things shut down abruptly, I was able to create a schedule through distance learning that suited myself.  We reopened at my high school 2 weeks ago, again through distance learning, but now we have more traditional hours of work.  I’ve worked those hours for 25 years so I’m fine with it, but the requirement that we come into work and sit in our empty classrooms to do the same things I can do from home seems a bit silly. I miss my students but if I can’t see them face to face, why do I have to do it virtually from my classroom instead of at home.  At least the college I teach at is allowing me to work from home.

I’ve heard the same from other teachers having to livestream from inside the classroom. That does seem nuts and like a waste of time. Sorry, pal!

I was interested in being a teacher for a while, but my grades weren’t too good. I couldn’t get into the teaching program at college. Plus, I couldn’t afford college. I tried to make it work with financial aid but I couldn’t afford the out of pocket fees. Had to drop after one semester. But I don’t think teaching would be the best career for me anyway. “Que sera, sera!” :)

My biggest aspiration is to be a somewhat famous musician. Don’t want to be super famous, just want to be known as a musician. To have a million views on YouTube would be a goal!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mr. Calderon said:

Took cloroquine already? Do it with physician supervision asap.

I haven't. I don't know if I have COVID yet. It seems like everyone is most concerned if you have a fever but I haven't had one.

14 minutes ago, Mr. Calderon said:

Cloroquine is to be taken in earlier stages.

Ok, thanks! I should definitely call my doctor and ask!

• 2 weeks later...

As I'm a geriatric nurse I had to do my job as normal, but we always have to wear a mouth and nose protection. That doesn't make work easy, but in the last month I'd learned to cope with it. 

Am 26.8.2020 um 20:02 schrieb AndrewRemington:

I haven't. I don't know if I have COVID yet. It seems like everyone is most concerned if you have a fever but I haven't had one.

About the fever: A good friend of mine got ill in March, but she hadn't had the typical symptoms. So her doctor was sure that it was because of  exhaustion. In the past she'd been working very much. However, she didn't recover. Instead things got more and more worse. Examinations found out that she had had Covid 19 in March. 

Edited by Christine
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Well, I’m still working from home. Feeling okay lately, just been super busy. Work load is very high. I’ve also been working a lot on some music projects.

I’m happy to still be working from home. I don’t know how long is this Covid trash will go on, though. I think a lot of people are trying to live their lives like normal if they can and just believe, “Que sera, sera!” It’s good to be careful, but you can’t let life pass you by. It’s been a very beautiful and nice summer and early autumn so far. Even here in Wisconsin we’ve had 70 degrees lately and have a high of 84 tomorrow! :cool:

Andrew, I think this Covid trash will never end because we're talking about a virus. These little beasts have been living on earth a long time before humans existed. I think we have to learn to deal with it. One day we have vaccinations and medicine like the things we have for influenza. But until then we have to do our best to save us and everyone around us.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, AndrewRemington said:

Well, I’m still working from home. Feeling okay lately, just been super busy. Work load is very high. I’ve also been working a lot on some music projects.

I’m happy to still be working from home. I don’t know how long is this Covid trash will go on, though. I think a lot of people are trying to live their lives like normal if they can and just believe, “Que sera, sera!” It’s good to be careful, but you can’t let life pass you by. It’s been a very beautiful and nice summer and early autumn so far. Even here in Wisconsin we’ve had 70 degrees lately and have a high of 84 tomorrow! :cool:

I’ve actually been able to work from home for the last two weeks.  We had a positive Covid case at my high school and several staff were forced to quarantine.  I wasn’t in that group but as a result, our union negotiated an option for faculty to work from home.  I plan to continue doing so.  Unfortunately, my wife is still required to go into her classroom.

The biggest difference is that it saves me the commute which is a lot of time actually.  I also don’t have to sit in my empty classroom, and since I was already virtually teaching an evening class at my college twice a week, it was an easy transition.  Not having the commute adds up to an extra 6-7 hours a week between both jobs.  I can’t complain about that.

I’m enjoying my mornings more now, having my coffee outside and watching the sunrise before my first class, instead of fighting traffic at that time.  It’s a little thing, I know, but I’m enjoying it. :cheers:

I’m actually about to start my last class of the day and week right now.  :thumbsup:

Edited by pahonu
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

I did it!!  Finally finished reading Winston Churchill's history of World War 2.  I have a real sense of accomplishment after reading 4147 pages.  My wife asked me, "So what are you going to read now?"  Still trying to decide. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Vicefan7777 said:

I did it!!  Finally finished reading Winston Churchill's history of World War 2.  I have a real sense of accomplishment after reading 4147 pages.  My wife asked me, "So what are you going to read now?"  Still trying to decide. 

Awesome! I’m a little jealous haha

Now go read all @Robbie C.’s fan fic!! :) 

3 hours ago, Dadrian said:

Awesome! I’m a little jealous haha

Now go read all @Robbie C.’s fan fic!! :) 

Don't have quite that much. It works out to a little over 2000 pages if you go for paperback size....:p

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mr. Vigilante said:

And here I am complaining about 30 degree weather.

I would love some 30 degree weather! It was 32 or so on Thursday but now we’re headed into a cold spell... I hope things will warm up soon!

I will admit, it’s hard to adjust to 30 degrees when it first starts to get that cold in late October or November here.

1 hour ago, AndrewRemington said:

This is my life right now... ;(

B5816076-5053-4EFD-809A-C9A5746FC7A8.jpeg

Sorry man!  -1 :eek:

Here’s my location.  

B3D84131-1897-4ACF-BF30-001426CFCD01.png

Edited by pahonu
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, AndrewRemington said:

This is my life right now... ;(

B5816076-5053-4EFD-809A-C9A5746FC7A8.jpeg

Oh yes I remember those cold temps.  My wife and I moved from Milwaukee.  So glad to be living in the desert now, as it was 71 degrees today. 

• Like 1