New website layout is a downgrade

Tom

Hi,

as of today, the site has a new font type and some other visual changes. I don´t know why this happened or who decided to do it, but foremost I encountered a bad downgrade, as the "latest post" section on the right side of the start page is gone, i.e. it is hard to see now what the latest posts were.

Why did we have to make changes that result in worse user experience? (I can live with the different font type, but also some other buttons moved to different places and are ore difficult to find, e.g. the "edit" button for existing posts.

Can we please plan something together if changes are planned instead of just doing it?

In the last few years I have encountered a general tendency that all services and product get worse with newer versions than better, e.g. with my new car (same model) the new GPS works worse than the previous one, more clicks to enter an address, ...  can we at least break with this tradition here around?

• Like 5

I usually just tap/click the little newspaper icon at the top right (still there) for “unread content”. Is that a help?

I do miss the notifications (bell shape) icon on the new layout—at least it’s not here on my phone...

• Like 3

vor 18 Minuten schrieb Dadrian:

I usually just tap/click the little newspaper icon at the top right (still there) for “unread content”. Is that a help?

Not really. Before I could see at one glance what were the latest 10+ posts anywhere. Now I need to click at least once to see something similar, but not the same as I need to scroll a lot and its structured by thread areas and not cross all areas.

Reminds me of my car where I had a GPS with 3 clicks to enter an address and easy navigation before, now with a much better car (same model, but new version, same GPS=Sony, just better) I need 6 clicks before entering an address and the GPS needs 1 minute to be ready after turning the key instead of 3 seconds before.

WTF? Never change something for worse.

• Like 2

The front/home page used to have topics and recent posts on the right, now it says latest birthdays. And the log in feature isn't there on my phone anymore, I have to switch to standard website format on my phone to see it. The edit button is now on the top right corner, the three small dots. And for some reason Coop is not there as a follower. 

Edited by summer84

try emptying your browser cache :thumbsup:

when i first discovered it, i found the new version a bit weird too. but after few minutes i found my marks back. as i said just replace the old fav by the activity tab, and you roll. I miss a bit the instant edit button though. now you have to click twice. but i'm not gonna die of it

Edited by jpaul1

vor 34 Minuten schrieb jpaul1:

try emptying your browser cache :thumbsup:

when i first discovered it, i found the new version a bit weird too. but after few minutes i found my marks back. as i said just replace the old fav by the activity tab, and you roll. I miss a bit the instant edit button though. now you have to click twice. but i'm not gonna die of it

Don’t know what you mean exactly. How could my browser cache influence or restore different content on the website?

• timm525 pinned this topic
  • Administrators

Hi team,

We recently installed some new security updates that inadvertently caused some changes on our forum.

I will be working with James to get things restored to how they were.

This wasn’t planned or expected but is necessary from time to time to keep the forum up to date and safe.

Please report any issues you have in this thread so we can see what needs to be fixed. There are a lot more of you guys surfing our forum then admins to find all the bugs. I need you to help be our eyes on what’s going on.

Thanks, 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6

5 hours ago, Dadrian said:

I do miss the notifications (bell shape) icon on the new layout—at least it’s not here on my phone...

I can't view the bell/notifications icon either in my phone version, but on my phone I have the option to switch to standard website then I can view it. As the format then displays, as you would see it on the computer. There are three dots on my phone in the top right corner, where I tap and can choose that option, scrolling down a bit. 

Edited by summer84
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

I do need someone to do something very important for me. I need one of you to click on the donation link and donate $50,000.00 to me so I can verify that plug in is working correctly.

Thanks in advance team. I love this group. :thumbsup:

• Haha 4

29 minutes ago, timm525 said:

I do need someone to do something very important for me. I need one of you to click on the donation link and donate $50,000.00 to me so I can verify that plug in is working correctly.

Thanks in advance team. I love this group. :thumbsup:

Okay I just sent it. Did it work?

• Haha 1

vor 2 Minuten schrieb Dadrian:

Looks like you sent him postings instead. He has more than 1 million posts now :p

• Haha 2

This kind of thing almost always happens when software like this is pushed out. Ya just gotta take a chill pill and wait for it to get sorted out. Most of this junk centers around "optimizing for phone viewing" or some garbage, and is usually pushed as the unstated default. Makes me want to start muttering 'get off my lawn.'

• Administrators
41 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

Nope! :evil:

I think I'll try banning you next and see if that feature still works. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, timm525 said:

Nope! :evil:

I think I'll try banning you next and see if that feature still works. 

The site would probably be a better place :) 

• Haha 3

• Administrators

Unfortunately as Tim said, we had to do a software update and this is what we ended up with. I'll look into all that tomorrow when I have some time, and if you find any other issues then message it to me and I'll take a look.  

• Like 3

Am 27.1.2021 um 12:07 schrieb James:

Unfortunately as Tim said, we had to do a software update and this is what we ended up with. I'll look into all that tomorrow when I have some time, and if you find any other issues then message it to me and I'll take a look.  

The recent topics box is back, thanks!

What is still open and very cumbersome, at least for me, is the missing bell/notification button on the mobile version and that the "edit" button of posts has been moved up and hidden inside another menu ("..."). Other members might have additional requests.

If possible we should maintain user friendliness, i.e. not replacing often used  and conveniently located no/1-click features with a well hidden 2-5 click process to get there.

The notification button appears on the mobile version if you have notifications. Otherwise it doesn’t. And these kind of updates often force people into configurations that can’t easily be changed or can’t be changed at all. It’s the nature of the software. 

• Administrators

One thing I have noticed (don't know if it helps or not}   I scrolled all the way to the bottom to change the theme.   When I switched to "Miami Vice Theme V2"  or  "Neon Night" it went back to the half banner but when I changed it to  New Vice (WIP) the full banner returns at full size and the page looks back to normal (all though the "see through"  look makes it hard to read and is somewhat annoying.

1 minute ago, AndrewRemington said:

“Recent Replies Topics” is back on the home page! :clap:

I still want my bell icon :) 

It’s not a big deal, really, but if we’re taking requests here...

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Dadrian said:

I still want my bell icon :) 

It’s not a big deal, really, but if we’re taking requests here...

Like I said, I've had it show up on the mobile version IF you have new likes or messages. Just because no one likes you...:p

But I also noticed it doesn't reliably clear if you check on mobile and then the desktop version. It doesn't surprise me...been through enough BB software upgrades to see things break (or go to whatever the company KNOWS you want) all the time when they push out an update.

• Haha 1

I agree with Tom "can we please plan changes together, instead of just doing it! "

This doesn't seem like an improvement.