New website layout is a downgrade

Tom

16 hours ago, AndrewRemington said:

“Recent Replies Topics” is back on the home page! :clap:

I'm just thrilled that you guys were able to restore this.  Lately (for the past year!) I haven't been around as much due to work, but the new updated layout was confusing to me and I found it hard to navigate.  At the same time I understand updates have to happen and that they are ultimately controlled by the hosting service, not the forum admin.  I'm glad you were able to bring back a function that I use every time I visit, and crossing fingers that with time, either we will learn to work with the updates or our fantastic board admin team will be able to make the tweaks that help all of us to function :clap:

• Like 2

On 1/28/2021 at 1:21 PM, Dadrian said:

I still want my bell icon :) 

It’s not a big deal, really, but if we’re taking requests here...

I don’t think I know what you’re talking about. I mainly view this website on my iPad. I get notifications on the bottom of the page when someone likes or quotes my posts.

• Administrators

I almost exclusively use an iPad or my phone. Rarely ever fire up the lap top. I have no idea what a bell icon is either but I didn’t want to show my inferiority. I’m suppose to be the big cat on campus here. :) 

• Haha 1

In contrast to some others, I always visit here on my laptop rather than my phone or Kindle (haven't figured out the mobile navigation, LOL).

I'm seeing the bell for notifications at the top of my screen, close to the same location where it's always been.  Again, that's from my laptop.

Great work, Admin team! 

Let's all try to focus on being positive and letting the Admins know if there's a particular feature we really liked, that seems to no longer be available--rather than globally being different and worse.  Often the techie-advanced guys can find a tweak to improve functionality for those of us who are techie-impaired (I'm talking about myself, not anyone else here!).  But it takes time, and these guys all have other things taking up their time outside of the forum.   I hate change and getting used to new things!  But of course it's a part of life, and we can't go back.  Ultimately we may find new features that are even an improvement from the previous one.

Thank you guys for all you do!  

• Like 1

The bell icon was at the top right with the newspaper, plus sign, and spyglass. It was a good way to view your notifications one-by-one if you had more than one. 

28 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

The bell icon was at the top right with the newspaper, plus sign, and spyglass. It was a good way to view your notifications one-by-one if you had more than one. 

You had both an envelope and bell. The envelope was great for reviewing PMs. Both still exist on the desktop version (like VIceGirl84 that's my default viewing device), but seem to have vanished from the mobile versions (at least in the default theme and at least one of the others...I can't confirm they exist in any of the four themes but I know they don't exist in at least two).

• Like 1

I think the bell/notifications icon could be accessible again, if it's possible to restore the sign in feature on the mobile version. The sign in feature had three lines icon you tapped on as I recall. It looks like this in the link at the top right of the site: https://invisioncommunity.com/

Edited by summer84

Same here. With my laptop the bell works, with my mobil it works not.

And in addition, when I go to the "unread" content and click on the link to the last contribution of a thread lets say at page 7 I always end up on page 1. That´s annoying.

48 minutes ago, Glades said:

And in addition, when I go to the "unread" content and click on the link to the last contribution of a thread lets say at page 7 I always end up on page 1. That´s annoying.

When you go to the unread content, just click or tap on the activitity icon in the top left corner and then on the thread/post you want to view. Then it will go directly to the content you wanted to read. 

Edited by summer84

• Administrators
10 hours ago, timm525 said:

I almost exclusively use an iPad or my phone. Rarely ever fire up the lap top. I have no idea what a bell icon is either but I didn’t want to show my inferiority. I’m suppose to be the big cat on campus here. :) 

9 hours ago, Dadrian said:

Oh that bell icon. I didn’t realize this was what we were talking about. I’ve alway used my iPad with the regular web site not the mobile like on my phone. I never cared for the mobil app.

0CAA3EFB-3143-46DB-8B8D-E622368F6E35.jpeg

• Administrators
8 hours ago, summer84 said:

I can only see the bell/notification icon, when switching to desktop version on my phone. 

So I never liked the mobil app much so I never noticed, did we have the bell icon on the mobile app before?

2 hours ago, summer84 said:

When you go to the unread content, just click or tap on the activitity icon in the top left corner and then on the thread/post you want to view. Then it will go directly to the content you wanted to read

Thanks, summer 84, that works! How I used to do it doesn´t work any more. But so I´ve got an alternative.

11 hours ago, timm525 said:

So I never liked the mobil app much so I never noticed, did we have the bell icon on the mobile app before?

It was there on the mobile version also. 

• Administrators

OK, I have no clue personally on how that mobil app works. I don’t even see it in the ACP? ?(

Maybe James knows?

vor 12 Stunden schrieb timm525:

as far as the bell icon is concerned, the mobile version looked and worked like the PC version. 

The two were relatively identical (with some minor layout differences) prior to the upgrade. Now you don't seem to be able to easily access your profile on the mobile version (if it's there I haven't found it yet - disclaimer is I don't like the mobile version either and don't use it much), the notifications and message icons are both gone, and there are some other cosmetic changes as well (like banner resizing).

Robbie, are you talking about the mobile version?  I've never used it, so can't comment on it.  But if you're referring to the desktop/laptop (i guess they're the same, LOL) version, I'm still seeing the notification and message icons.

Speaking of the newspaper icon--embarrassed to admit I never noticed it before... still haven't figured out the spyglass...

But, it's good to know there seem to be several different paths that can be followed to view the content I want to see :) 

Edited by vicegirl85

22 minutes ago, timm525 said:

When you say “spyglass” are you talking about the search text field? 

9FF40E95-AE10-470C-BB33-7CCC013E94C4.jpeg

I believe they perform the same function, yes. 

41F24509-373A-4735-BE20-7F4CDEC56EF4.jpeg

• Administrators

Dadrian, can you take a screen shot of the whole page. I’m not seeing what you posted even when logged on with a normal account. Are you on the homepage? Are you using a laptop/desktop on the the main website or are you using a mobile site?

2 hours ago, vicegirl85 said:

Robbie, are you talking about the mobile version?  I've never used it, so can't comment on it.  But if you're referring to the desktop/laptop (i guess they're the same, LOL) version, I'm still seeing the notification and message icons.

Speaking of the newspaper icon--embarrassed to admit I never noticed it before... still haven't figured out the spyglass...

But, it's good to know there seem to be several different paths that can be followed to view the content I want to see :) 

The mobile version used to look pretty much like the desktop version, but now there are some significant changes (lack of the message and notification icons on the mobile version). I typically use the desktop version, but not being able to access your profile (and the other bits) easily in the mobile version seems like a major issue to me.

• Thanks 1

Is there a way to switch to the desktop version on your cellphone? Not having the notification option (aka the bell) anymore is greatly disappointing and is driving me crazy!! :( :thumbsdown: 

17 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

Is there a way to switch to the desktop version on your cellphone? Not having the notification option (aka the bell) anymore is greatly disappointing and is driving me crazy!! :( :thumbsdown: 

Nope. Not that I'm aware of. The joys of mobile operating systems combined with "dumbing down" the internet to accommodate them.

20 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

On 26.1.2021 at 11:30 PM, summer84 said:

I can't view the bell/notifications icon either in my phone version, but on my phone I have the option to switch to standard website then I can view it. As the format then displays, as you would see it on the computer. There are three dots on my phone in the top right corner, where I tap and can choose that option, scrolling down a bit. 

I mentioned this on page 1/the quoted part. I have the option on my phone.