A Very Special Announcement

Dadrian

Some of you old-heads may remember my friend Rick Leon who helped me in the beginning (circa 1998?) to find correct sounds/synthesizers for Miami Vice music. 

He and I have kept in contact for more than 20 years now. 

Last week he found out I had sold my 2nd edition DX7 after I bought the original DX7, which sadly disabled me to update my “Klaus” cover (among a few other season 3 sounds) to the accuracy it deserves, so he sent me an extra he had sitting in his closet! At not cost! A gift!!

Above saving me a $500 expense for bringing that cover up to snuff, Rick further established himself as being the key to unlocking any chance I had at being able to share my hobby with other fans. 

“What a guy”. :tasse_prost:

A new and very special cover is in order. 

Stay tuned... :radar:

Edited by Dadrian
  • Like 16

Congratulations, pal! I’ve never been a big fan of the DX7 Mk. II presets, but I’m sure if I had one to play with, I’d change my mind! I think the Mk. I presets seem more “iconic” to the 80’s.

I definitely would snatch a Mk. II for free, though! If Jan used one, I guess it’s also important for some of his tunes!

Edited by AndrewRemington
  • Thanks 1

Great news Dadrian! Jan used DX-7 IID patch called "FM-Growth" extensively on the soundtrack from Lend Me An Ear and Mirror Image. :D

Edited by Crockettt
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Dadrian said:

(among a few other season 3 sounds)

53 minutes ago, Crockettt said:

Jan used DX-7 IID patch called "FM-Growth" extensively on the soundtrack from Lend Me An Ear and Mirror Image. :D

Absolutely! Such an awesome, unique sound. :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, AndrewRemington said:

If Jan used one, I guess it’s also important for some of his tunes!

I’m 100% he got 2 or 3 of them for free. :) 

20 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

I’m 100% he got 2 or 3 of them for free. :) 

Wow, free from Yamaha? You would know this information... being HIS SON!

Edited by AndrewRemington
  • Haha 1

It’s kind of like dealers and Jorgensonmanufacturers will fall all over themselves to get next to a celebrity like Jan Hammer :) 

It’s really the best (and cheapest) advertising. 

Jan had at least 2 of nearly everything he used on Miami Vice. I would suspect mainly in case something crapped out in the middle of a scoring. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

It’s kind of like dealers and Jorgensonmanufacturers will fall all over themselves to get next to a celebrity like Jan Hammer :) 

It’s really the best (and cheapest) advertising. 

Jan had at least 2 of nearly everything he used on Miami Vice. I would suspect mainly in case something crapped out in the middle of a scoring. 

Ah yes, I know that Yamaha gave one of the first DX7’s to Andrew Farriss from INXS (so he claimed), and that they also gave one to Nick Rhodes from Duran Duran.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not “special”, but an announcement, nonetheless...

3 things about last week:

- I got extremely overwhelmed with work

- my son’s baseball schedule started 

- I had to get my property ready for spring (trees, yard, etc.)

Aside from catching up on some YouTube notifications and personal emails, I had little to no spare time for entertainment. 

As @Ferrarimansays, “hey, life happens”.

I’m mostly back on track now, but the new forum format doesn’t allow me to view notifications, so here’s a blanket apology to anyone I’ve missed on quotes/mentions in the last week or so. 

I missed you all—that quick! :) 

ps - I did sneak my nightly episode of MV in at bedtime...I can’t go to sleep without that!  :p

• Like 7

vor einer Stunde schrieb Dadrian:

ps - I did sneak my nightly episode of MV in at bedtime...I can’t go to sleep without that!  :p

Good to have you back!

But I bet that that you do not watch the nightly episodes for the gun fights. Let me guess: only Trudy episodes? :p

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

This is a very UNspecial announcement:

I sold the Maserati ;(

A true Vice fan never sells his car.  When he gets tired of a car, he drives it down to Virginia Key and blows it up.

:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, airtommy said:

A true Vice fan never sells his car.  When he gets tired of a car, he drives it down to Virginia Key and blows it up.

:)

Well, I called Eddie Kaye, and he said he was fresh out of Stingers, so... :) 

We got a nice new Mercedes Benz GLS 550 AMG from Max Klizer. “Extremely powerful, perfectly balanced”. :cool::p

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dadrian said:

This is a very UNspecial announcement:

I sold the Maserati ;(

Didn't even  know you had one! Why??????????????????????????

1 hour ago, wolfie1996 said:

Didn't even  know you had one! Why??????????????????????????

2 kids and a dog.

We always have an SUV, but tried a car for awhile. (The dog never rode in that car). It was fun, but time to get back to reality. :) 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

2 kids and a dog.

We always have an SUV, but tried a car for awhile. (The dog never rode in that car). It was fun, but time to get back to reality. :) 

Ah well, two horses plus four cats and no kids so we have carte blanche :) (The horses travel in a horsebox  when they go anywhere of course!) So!!! one old Ford, one newer Ford, Mitsubishi Barbarian pickup (good vehicle!) AND! AND! have just ordered a Porsche (long wait for that one apparently, they must be making the bloody things to order). I haven't told the insurance yet. They already  wonder how two of us manage to use three cars, but they all have a job. What's the Mercedes like?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wolfie1996 said:

What's the Mercedes like?

Really great. Lots of features. I have a lot to learn. I couldn’t even put the transmission in “drive” initially. :) 

E3195ADA-80F0-4C24-88CA-A9028853CC7E.jpeg

76F7C114-AF22-49F8-9D5D-603686FA0DCE.jpeg

Edited by Dadrian
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

Really great. Lots of features. I have a lot to learn. I couldn’t even put the transmission in “drive” initially. :)

Wish I could have given that two likes! Looks fantastic!! Automatic though? We've had a couple of Range Rovers (not  at the same time) which were excellent and were automatic, handy for pulling a trailer, but since then it's been all manual for me, never really got back into automatic mentality   after that. And what's with this pushbutton handbrake???? This new one we're getting is only the 718 2 litre though they do say the 2.5 is literally no  better. I said to my garage mechanic when he said ONLY the 2 litre, I thought about the 4.9 but decided LV (insurance) might pass out on the phone when I told them.............:) No supply problems for you then!  I love it!!

• Thanks 1