Show your car

admin1389294680

9 minutes ago, Jeff_Cooper said:

Not 35, but my commute this week has been a 20 year old Alfa Romeo.

Plus this weeks range vehicle ( 2 trips and counting)  is a 33 year old Chevy truck.

-J

Nice!  A former member had a convertible Alfa from about 1990.

Your pickup is just a year newer than my Westy.  

My father drove a ‘69 Ford F-250 for almost 45 years, until he didn’t drive anymore.  Granted, he drove it much less in the mid to late 70’s during the oil embargoes, and his commute to work was about two miles for 20+ years.  Then in retirement he drove even less.  Still, it made it to 250K+ miles.  

He used to joke after he finally sold it that he got more money for it used than he paid new!  I think he paid about $2500 in 1969, but I’m not sure what he got for it and he’s gone now.

I paid $5500 for my van in ‘07 but it needed lots of restoration $$$.  A few years back I was offered 12K by an importer from the UK, where they’re very popular.  It’s nice knowing I can get some decent money when I finally sell it, though I have no plans to do so currently.

I was just thinking about the contrast with my wife’s father.  He seemed to have a different car every couple of years, all new!  He never financed either, always cash. 

39 minutes ago, pahonu said:

A former member had a convertible Alfa from about 1990.

Dost thou speak of the elusive Cooper&Burnett? :D

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dadrian said:

Dost thou speak of the elusive Cooper&Burnett? :D

Indeed!  I remember talking to him about some of the challenges of keeping an older car running… we commiserated together about getting parts!  Sometimes it’s the cost.  He had some expensive stories, but many times it just a delay because the part isn’t nearby.  

It’s not like a new car getting dropped off in the morning and picked up that evening.  The number of times my mechanics have said we know the problem but we’re waiting on parts.  Sometimes they have all the parts ready, but one.  

This just happened to me last week when I had the front brakes and suspension done. He had everything, rotors, calipers, bearings, seals, ball joints, bushings, tie rods, all installed…but he was waiting on two short brake hoses.  They arrived the next afternoon, so it took three days total with the alignment done at the end.

Luckily, I was newly off for the summer from teaching.  It’s exactly why I waited!

• Like 2

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, wolfie1996 said:

Waited 10 months for this but worth it.New Porsche Cayman and worth every penny.

our porsche.jpg

So exactly how many pennies is that? ;)

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Ferrariman said:

So exactly how many pennies is that? ;)

Cheap for what you get! £47,000 (which was the original price plus road tax including rear view camera and folding mirrors, which were extra of course like everything on a Porsche! Our little Fords have them as standard!) Positive  dream to drive, lovely gearbox (manual of course), plenty room inside , fits on the drive...excellent acceleration..I'd have two if it wasn't such a long wait (over a year  now I  believe, used prices are ridiculous). There are plenty fancy sports cars round here, lovely Jags (all automatic these days sadly), Aston Martins, even a few Mustangs but I wouldn't swap for any of them. A car with true charisma. AND 40 mpg!!! What can I say except order one now! (If you don't mind the wait..) Oh..rather crappy radio..I told the Porsche Centre they should adopt the Ford ones :)  Love it...

• Like 2

• Administrators

My Duster, though not a daily driver, is 52 years old!

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Ferrariman said:

a 'lil video of the exaust.?? what's up talking of 'ol americans with no sound :p :)

• Administrators
11 hours ago, jpaul1 said:

a 'lil video of the exaust.?? what's up talking of 'ol americans with no sound :p :)

Plenty of exhaust noise!  I'd record it but right now it's at a friend's home in New York state. Having some mods done. Adding a full tubular front suspension and rear disc brakes to make it 4 wheel disc.  I can't bring it up to Toronto until I build a garage.  ;( 

The exhaust noise comes from these little beauties!  They bolt right to the header collectors.  Just enough to keep law enforcement happy.   ;)

https://www.jegs.com/p/Car-Chemistry/Car-Chemistry-Exhaust-Header-Turn-down-Mufflers/3848640/10002/-1

21 hours ago, Ferrariman said:

Was that the first year?  My buddy in high school had a blue Duster with a slant six.  Don’t remember the year.  I think it was a three speed.  He and his dad pulled the engine and rebuilt it top and bottom, about 1988.  I still remember that little tornado logo with eyes. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

My "classic" car happens to be exactly 50 years! 

1972 Corvette Stingray convertible.  Triple black with wire wheels (like Crockett's '72 black Daytona's wheels of course:))  

Now I just have to figure out a way to post a picture :)

• Like 3

• Administrators

Yes 1970 was the first year. That 1st year it was actually a Valiant Duster. The only difference between ‘70  and ‘71 is in ‘71 it lost the Valiant emblem in the grill.

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, Mvice8489 said:

sorry...looks like that video link did not work :(

Yes it did. Sweet ride! :thumbsup:

On 6/16/2022 at 1:31 AM, Ferrariman said:

I'm seriously impressed! I thought we were doing well with a little 2008 Ford! It's done over 140,000 miles though :)  Just run in, really compared to yours!

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Mvice8489 said:

Good to know.    Thanks!

B04B3D81-7E5D-47BF-B5CD-7451E25E3F9B.jpeg

As in "I was cruising in my Stingray late one night When an XKE pulled up on my right.." Nice car!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/13/2022 at 11:45 PM, Dadrian said:

As many of you know, I sold the Maserati sedan and bought an SUV. Hashtag dad life :) 

I was sitting on the deck this evening and looked over and noticed a nice shot of the SUV. 

So here’s my Mercedes GLS 550 AMG V8 Twin Turbo in all it’s glory :) 

You can’t stuff a family into a white Testarossa, so you get a Black Mercedes. :rauchen:

E7099FB9-2594-4624-BBDF-117FED9D4F91.jpeg

Very handsome!

I'd post a picture of my 1996 Mitsubishi Lancer 2 door, but it didn't make it past inspection this year;( I traded it in for a 2010 Kia cerato Koup (yes Coup with a K, ugh!). A very average car but all I could afford.

I miss my Lancer though. In it's prime it was like me: sporty-looking but zero guts when you put your foot down:p

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dadrian said:

Man. I miss it so bad. ;(

Saw one today on the way to the livery...rather strange purple-ish colour but looked good! I prefer yours though. Cars can be an extension of oneself and certainly part of an image. I hope you can treat yourself to another in the future when it's practical! My OH is polishing our black beauty as we speak as we're due to go  down to Liverpool on Monday to see the Eagles and we thought we'd do a trial run to the stadium tomorrow (it's only 150 miles....) to give the Porsche some exercise. Won't be taking IT on Monday though! Parking's bloody awful round these stadiums unless you go down to London by train and stay overnight at an hotel.

• Like 1