Little things that bug you on the MV series

cybercop106

Of course MV wasn't always realistic, but it WAS stylistic! That being said, I just wondered if the small things that were overlooked or omitted bother other fans like they do me. For instance, they spent so much money on the vehicles and equipment and other props, but half the time the squibs either weren't used or they didn't work. I constantly am annoyed when people get shot and, especially on the close-ups, there's no blood or visible bullet wound. Now I know you can't always see a bullet strike, particularly through layered clothing, but I'm talking about the pastel or white shirt or t-shirt deal, where there's no blood. Were they just saving a few bucks or what?! I'll post a couple other similar observations IF this thread takes off and no-one else brings those issues up.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• COOPER&BURNETT

• timm525

• agent 47

• maynard

Were they just saving a few bucks or what?!

They were following standards and practices (read: network censors) of the period.

• Administrators

As a car guy it always bothered me that Sonny left the Daytona parked in the worst neighborhoods in Miami with the top down and it never got stolen! That and Rico always getting 7 to 10 shots out of his little 5 shot revolver. At least we saw Sonny reload.

Those that come to mind first:Traveling through town (Miami, especially) at high rates of speed with no light or siren.Anyone who had driven through the Golden Glades interchange at rush hour knows what I'm talking about.After driving with the top down, Sonny still has perfect hair.Deep undercover, but they show up at crime scenes in broad daylight wearing Vice ID.Tubb's 7-8 shot snub 38It hardly ever rains, and they very rarely sweat.Lack of outside location shooting in the later seasons.But, in spite of these things, after all its television...As far as the surveillance equipment, it probably wasn't that reliable at that time. Anything 800 megahertz was probably unheard of in the 80's, things in the 49 MH range picked up a lot of interference.(From a former sound man)Because Mann used real police officers, I loved the realism of the takedown scenes, the music was awesome,cinematography better than most movies today... and MV still beats the heck out of anything on TV in the last 25 years...

When we were on the "other" site, we counted, and found that Crockett killed 126 people in five seasons of MIAMI VICE (including when he was Burnett, but NOT including his tour in Vietnam), and yet he wasn't given a desk job, or paid administrative leave....after killing 126 people!!!

They could get into fights, get punched in the face, and yet no swelling or marks (very rarely did we see swelling or marks).They could smack someone around, and yet there were no citizen or legal complaints.Bad guys would fire automatic weapons and machine guns at them, shooting 100 rounds of bullets, yet not hit them, but Crockett and Tubbs shot every one of them. They could narrowly escape something exploding, or fall into the ocean, yet thier clothes were in absolutely perfect shape. Even ironed! Wouldn't trade MIAMI VICE for the world! :thumbsup:

I mentioned about how an automatic weapon could miss & C&T always hit the man with one or 2 shots. Someone said auto weapons are not as accurate & weren't used as accurately as C&T with their target practise!

I remember seeing a video that showed real and make believe stuff regarding guns in reality, and in TV and Movies.They sprayed a whole area that had targets with full automatic machine gun fire, and missed most of the targets.But when a marksman with a rifle, or pistol took quick, well aimed shots at the targets, he hit all, or nearly all the targets.Guess now that I think about it, I guess it IS possible.(Also, bullets won't ignite or explode a gas can full of gasoline according to the video.)

When we were on the "other" site' date=' we counted, and found that Crockett killed 126 people in five seasons of MIAMI VICE (including when he was Burnett, but NOT including his tour in Vietnam), and yet he wasn't given a desk job, or paid administrative leave....after killing 126 people!!![/quote']I think Coop is auditioning for a job at IAD here :D

• Administrators
(Also' date=' bullets won't ignite or explode a gas can full of gasoline according to the video.)[/quote']True, an almost empty can would actually be more dangerous because the fumes are more volatile. Same goes for car explosions. I've been putting out car fires for 28 years and haven't seen one explode yet!

• Administrators

Auto vs Semi AutoAuto = spray and pray methodSemi auto = better aimed shots method

The video was sold at gun shows I attended.They tried everything in the book according to movies and TV, and actually tried them in all sorts of conditions. The Hollywood thinking is that the bullet goes thu the gas tank, makes a spark as the bullet's metal scapes the tanks metal, thus making the tank explode. As FERRARIMAN just said, his experience has shown (just like the video) the fuller the tank, the even more likely that there is not enough air in the tank to make it explode. Even a more empty tank with gas fumes most likely won't do it.Another thing the video tried was to see if a 357, or 44 magnum would crack a solid engine block.If memory serves me correct, it doesn't.

• Administrators

The Mythbusters have had some good eps. on guns and myths.The Jaws exploding air tank.Shooting someone under water.Shooting padlocks and door locks.etc...

Yeah C&B, the full auto and other random shooting hardly ever seemed to hit bystanders..... UNLESS they were introduced characters and part of the plot advancement was they take one for the team....... And the 126 kills non-withstanding, Sonny would have absolutely been out of police work after the Mirror Image, Hostile Takeover, Redemption In Blood situation!! Maynard, that was always something that got me too, when they were so high profile in public showing up on scene..... as if the bad guys don't watch the news or gawk at crime scenes......... And I always laughed when Crockett took off at high speed with no emergency lights or siren and blasted through Miami streets at all hours with very little or no traffic to save the day by getting across town in a couple minutes. But Viceman, sometimes they showed the blood and injuries and sometimes not...... within the same episode...... from the first through fifth seasons! There was no consistency, so I wouldn't think the censors were much involved.

Even without the blood, we forget that this was a lot of violence for the times. Mann had such creative ways for them to die. Like Calderone in the pool, and the guy who gets blown away in the recliner.

I think the two bloodiest were the guy who gets shot with a shotgun in NOBODY LIVES FOREVER who slides across the floor, leaving a bloody streak, and the guy who gets shot in SONS AND LOVERS, and leaves a blood smear on the wall (I think Crockett shoots the guy with a sawed off shotgun) as he falls down.Can anyone think of anything bloodier than those two?

The only thing that bugged me on MV was El Gato's awful fashion sense, I would definitely give him and his minions "the worst dressed drug dealer" award for he show.P.S. Coop, don't forget all the blood in the elevator where Crockett and Tubbs found Jimmy Borgia in The Prodigal Son, that was messy as well.

P.S. Coop' date=' don't forget all the blood in the elevator where Crockett and Tubbs found Jimmy Borgia in The Prodigal Son, that was messy as well.[/quote']Good save! :clap:

The only thing that bugged me on MV was El Gato's awful fashion sense' date=' I would definitely give him and his minions "the worst dressed drug dealer" award for he show.[/quote']What the heck was that that he wore? Zebra jackets!?? Gotta be the worst dresser. He should have offed himself with his pistol when he had the chance.

Guest neworder
The only thing that bugged me on MV was El Gato's awful fashion sense' date=' I would definitely give him and his minions "the worst dressed drug dealer" award for he show.[/quote']Agreed.And also Tubbs' fashion in Season 5 was atrocious. Other things that bug me - re-use of footage, not an issue in seasons 1-3, almost a joke in some s4-5 episodes, same testarossa footage over and over, then putting the stinger in baseballs of death was yet more stupidity.

I don't remember who El gato was or which ep.

It was on season five, when Crockett lost his memory and became a hitman, when his memory came back, remember the guy who got killed by the tiger at the end of the episode he got his memory back? The little fat, horribly dressed guy played by Jon Polito? That's him.

What the heck was that that he wore? Zebra jackets!?? Gotta be the worst dresser. He should have offed himself with his pistol when he had the chance.

I wonder if the tiger got indigestion off that fatso? Think of the cholesterol!That tiger needed some alkaselzer after all that fat and awful clothing!

I wonder if the tiger got indigestion off that fatso? Think of the cholesterol!That tiger needed some alkaselzer after all that fat and awful clothing!

What was it? A panther? I can't remember.All I know is that the Panther was better dressed than him!