Episode 36 One Way Ticket

miamijimf

vor 44 Minuten schrieb C Glide:

Cool. I am going to watch it yet again and see if I can find anything new to narrow the search though I doubt it. Clearly a large commercial operation, not a private residence. Metal frame and sheeting buildings on the outside for shade and protection and then the stables built inside with lots of air circulation. I don't recall ever seeing stables exactly like this elsewhere. At least two exercise wheels that would easily be seen from above, along with the ring and palm tree lined drive next to it. Looks like they had set up for different types of training including jumping. Surprised such a big operation would go out of business. Rick claims it was in Miami huh?

Completely agree. A commercial big stable with training wheels and sophisticated fancy stables is unique - I have not found any similar modern farm anywhere even around Palm Beach.

Rick contended it was in Miami but I doubt it. I assume further up north, as there was nothing on the historic aerials (taken in May/June 86) that remotely fits. Also, the high vegetation in the background and the big Royal Palm alley are very distinctive and not seen anywhere in Greater Miami. Also, DJ and PMT were doubled in their only (arrest) scene, which further indicates that this location was far off.

• Like 2

@C Glidejust wanted to add that eventually we will crack all mysteries.

The shooting range in Hell hath no fury was also such a mysterious case that was only findable with an informant (in case of the range it was Jorge from Miami).

We should talk to other crew members in season 2, at least one of them could remember such a big horse farm at least by area, as many men have daughters who like to ride horses (like me) :p

Edited by Tom

• 2 weeks later...

@Tom do you know if anybody has ever tried to ask Jean Pierre Matte (“Faber”) about the farm location?

He is in his 70s now, but appears to have social media accounts like Twitter. 

It’s a long shot, but we’re “entitled to one”. :D

Edited by Dadrian
  • Like 1

vor 3 Stunden schrieb Dadrian:

@Tom do you know if anybody has ever tried to ask Jean Pierre Matte (“Faber”) about the farm location?

He is in his 70s now, but appears to have social media accounts like Twitter. 

It’s a long shot, but we’re “entitled to one”. :D

No don’t think so. Would be great if somebody remembers at least the area. As I know from other cases, memory of cast or crew is scarce as they were at so many locations long time ago and the actors hardly drove there themselves.

• 1 month later...
On 11/19/2017 at 12:42 AM, airtommy said:

I was flipping channels and watched a few minutes of "Kojak" with Telly Savalas.  It was Season 2 Episode 19 "Night of the Piraeus".  All of a sudden I see an exterior shot of a place called "Fein Gallery" with a yellow awning extending out from the entrance.  It looked very much like what we see in "One Way Ticket":

feingallery.png.5ab7cfdbb7f25db3ebc3b707099387a8.png

Kojak was mostly filmed on studio backlots in Los Angeles, but they also did some filming in New York.  Since this was just a setup shot, it could be either. I don't remember if the windows and lamps were there in the Kojak scene.  It would be great if somebody could watch this on Hulu or some other website and save a screenshot of the camera shot from Kojak so we can compare.

It's here around 16:50.  The film is reversed for some reason.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7tccek

The character in the episode is Harry Fein.  So, less likely a real gallery and more likely a studio set or a real building with fake awning.

Edited by airtommy

vor 9 Stunden schrieb airtommy:

It's here around 16:50.  The film is reversed for some reason.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7tccek

The character in the episode is Harry Fein.  So, less likely a real gallery and more likely a studio set or a real building with fake awning.

Yes, I flipped it and it´s the same location and the lamps are there as well.

And it´s not an establishing shot but a moving scene filmed in NYC. There seems to be a number on the side of the canopy but it´s not, it´s just "Fein" again. I will study the scene in more detail to find the gallery location in NYC,

Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-24 um 11.23.55.png

Edited by Tom

There are plenty of clues in that Kojak episode and an exterior chase outside the gallery. But the video is very blurry. If we get access to a good picture quality specimen we should be able to suss out the NYC address.

We know for sure that the gallery was in a one way street with 3-4 lanes (like Broadway or 2nd Ave) and a building with thick squared shaped columns is on the right corner that is most probably unchanged. The cross street at the corner is relatively narrow (one way 1 lane only with 2 parking lanes). That excludes lots of intersections. Most NYC Kojak scenes were filmed in Lower Manhattan with the police precinct at 321 E 5 Street. This should be findable.

P.S. as there was a "Fein" character in that episode, the name "Fein" is 90% false, i.e. there was no "Fein" Gallery. The gallery was real, but the canopy was obviously set dressing.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-24 um 12.32.02.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-24 um 12.33.36.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-24 um 12.34.33.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-24 um 12.34.57.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1

image.png.bc4ef91847b7d8c173a26c3ea5eaa55b.png

Reminds me of the arch at the entrance to the Seybold Arcade.  Some differences but this is a more modern pic.

I looked on 1st, 2nd, Lexington, Park, Madison, 5th Avenues from Central Park down to Houston St. but came up empty.

Then, after watching the scene again, I realized that the arched doorway seems to be on the main street across from the gallery. I had been thinking it was on a side street.

vor einer Stunde schrieb airtommy:

I looked on 1st, 2nd, Lexington, Park, Madison, 5th Avenues from Central Park down to Houston St. but came up empty.

Then, after watching the scene again, I realized that the arched doorway seems to be on the main street across from the gallery. I had been thinking it was on a side street.

We are lucky. According to the unique search pattern I described 

• 3-4 lane very busy one way street
  • a one way 1 (+2 parking lanes) lane cross street running towards it
  • squared columns underneath corner building
  • 90 degree angled intersection

the gallery was at a major N-S running street like Broadway or Avenues and the cross street was a medium one (there are smaller ones with 1 lane no parking and bigger ones with >1 lane). As Kojak filmed mostly in Lower Manhattan we have a reduced territory to search. We should search down to south tip of Manhattan if needed although the scene does not look like the very south of Manhattan near Battery park. But they often filmed around South Street near Battery Park for example.

I checked all fitting inbound one way intersections of Broadway in Lower Manhattan, but no match. If we systematically do the same for all other N-S running major streets and intersections we should be able to find the corner on the picture below within a week.

I like the Google map below. It shows the one way streets AND how big the cross streets are to exclude wrong intersections early and easily. e.g. Without going to street level I can see: Franklin Street can be seen as a small side street with 1 lane and two parking lanes like in the episode. Worth Street is too big with more lanes. Both are one way streets running towards Broadway but only Franklin is a potential fit. Thomas Street is even smaller than Franklin and can be excluded too.

P.S. my images are ALL REVERSED (horizontally flipped as video was wrongly flipped)

Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-24 um 12.33.10.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-24 um 20.48.54.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-24 um 21.04.35.png

Edited by Tom

vor 2 Stunden schrieb airtommy:

This arch is something to look for.  I did not flip this picture.

fein1.png

Fully agree but due to cuts in the chase scenes around it is not fully clear to me where that arch is related to the gallery - on the same street or the cross street. Thus I will focus on the significant corner next to the gallery and then check f the arch is nearby to reconfirm.

I checked 3rd, 6, 7, 8th Avenues from Houston up to Central Park. no find.

The best matches among all these were W38&7 Ave (Fedex center at 525 7th Ave looks similar to the arches in the background) and W47 & 8 Ave.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-25 um 16.44.00.png

Edited by Tom

On 2/9/2021 at 3:58 PM, Tom said:

as many men have daughters who like to ride horses (like me) :p

You'll be perpetually in the poorhouse then, eh, Tom? It's a dear hobby, as I know only too  well :)

On 3/24/2021 at 4:41 AM, Tom said:

There are plenty of clues in that Kojak episode and an exterior chase outside the gallery. But the video is very blurry. If we get access to a good picture quality specimen we should be able to suss out the NYC address.

We know for sure that the gallery was in a one way street with 3-4 lanes (like Broadway or 2nd Ave) and a building with thick squared shaped columns is on the right corner that is most probably unchanged. The cross street at the corner is relatively narrow (one way 1 lane only with 2 parking lanes). That excludes lots of intersections. Most NYC Kojak scenes were filmed in Lower Manhattan with the police precinct at 321 E 5 Street. This should be findable.

P.S. as there was a "Fein" character in that episode, the name "Fein" is 90% false, i.e. there was no "Fein" Gallery. The gallery was real, but the canopy was obviously set dressing.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-24 um 12.32.02.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-24 um 12.33.36.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-24 um 12.34.33.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-24 um 12.34.57.png

These images could be from the back lot at Universal Studios. If you look at the base's of the 2 poles, they do not appear to be a standard installation. They could be props, the bases seem to be too large, you don't normally grout them like that. Back in the day, and still do from time to time, they used steel plates and tack welded or bolted the prop poles to the plates. Then they just placed them where they wanted them. Sometimes they would use smaller concrete anchors to keep them in place. 

https://www.lcwpropsatl.com/image?id=3563&index=1

• Like 1

vor 8 Minuten schrieb king77:

These images could be from the back lot at Universal Studios. If you look at the base's of the 2 poles, they do not appear to be a standard installation. They could be props, the bases seem to be too large, you don't normally grout them like that. Back in the day, and still do from time to time, they used steel plates and tack welded or bolted the prop poles to the plates. Then they just placed them where they wanted them. Sometimes they would use smaller concrete anchors to keep them in place. 

https://www.lcwpropsatl.com/image?id=3563&index=1

Thanks for the hint! I know these props. They used similar props in VICE (eg. pay phones). But I don´t think that is studio. If you watch the episode and especially the street scenes around the gallery, they used real NYC streets with multiple lanes of traffic and side streets with different background buildings for the chase. No way that they rebuilt a hundreds of meters of NYC streets including buildings. The NYC set in LA was not big enough for that.

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1

Screencaps are difficult for me with this website, but I think when Kojak almost gets run over by the truck, behind him the road appears to bend off to the right maybe.  If true, that would point us to lower Manhattan where the grid gets distorted.

I got frustrated and went over to Los Angeles.  I searched all over downtown but came up empty.

vor 4 Stunden schrieb airtommy:

Screencaps are difficult for me with this website, but I think when Kojak almost gets run over by the truck, behind him the road appears to bend off to the right maybe.  If true, that would point us to lower Manhattan where the grid gets distorted.

I got frustrated and went over to Los Angeles.  I searched all over downtown but came up empty.

My impression is also that this might have been filmed in the southern part of Lower Manhattan where the streets get short and the grid distorted. The scene where we see the background behind the truck shows a very short side street, which is very rare further up north.

It's the Universal Studio Backlot! It uses the same section of the old (pre-fire) New York Street set that was used in "Dirty Harry", which was set in San Francisco:

Kojak:Kojak1.thumb.jpg.a1ee5202934db621e80577c89bd4a2d5.jpg

Dirty Harry:

DH1.thumb.jpg.566e58685b9fe372f6a14a3fccac69d1.jpg

Kojak:

Kojak2.thumb.jpg.7a530b40a1b9a1debb162d147409799c.jpg

Dirty Harry:DH2.thumb.jpg.64e1332ea31cc551cad1476f263246b5.jpg

Kojak:

Kojak3.thumb.jpg.9c554b7ff72dde782bb9038d4f15db0c.jpg

Dirty Harry:

DH3.thumb.jpg.54abef07ace8232ae98d7eb3c4af594b.jpg

Fein Gallery bay window in Dirty Harry:

DH4.thumb.jpg.4a427cda9d14347a31d5ba607802b831.jpg

Edited by daytona365
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

No ruined day @Dadrian rather that saved us lot of time! Great find @daytona365!

I am just wondering 1. how can someone find a film with the same set and match those tiny little details that are even hard to find when color boxed that fast?

And second: when daytona is that good with details, why is the Ballard house in To have and to hold still unknown?:funky:

1 hour ago, Tom said:

No ruined day @Dadrian rather that saved us lot of time! Great find @daytona365!

Given all the Dirty Harry pics above, I couldn’t resist referencing the botched name and quote from “Glades”. 

45 minutes ago, wolfie1996 said:

Still looking for the "horse farm"? 

Santa Clarita, California, USA
(stock footage) (Establishing stock footage- horse ranch)

If you’ve solved this, Tom’s day is CERTAINLY “ruined”!!! :) 

• Like 1