Episode 36 One Way Ticket

miamijimf

Just wanted to add how I found the horse that led to the farm. We can see the horse names "Plebeyo jr" (son) and "Plebeyo" (father) on the stables. Plebeyo is hard to read and visible in full, but in the close up all letters can be seen seperately (behind Faber when he turns to Thurmond) in a still by still view that I did yesterday on my BluRay.

Plebeyo was a Paso fino horse born i 1970 and a good breeding horse, thus it has its own stable including a family tree.. It was 15 years old at filming. Thanks to the South Florida Paso Fino breeding database it was easy to find the owner and the owner led to the farm that his family owned. 

The database even had a picture of "Plebeyo" that fully matches the horse in the stables behind Faber.

We are very lucky! Just imagine that they had not filmed in front of "plebeyo´s" stable but somewhere else or the name was not visible at all!

Lesson learned: even the smallest clues are gold.

P.S. we can easily locate the exact location of Plebeyo´s stable, as we can see the training carousel behind Plebeyo in the background. The carousel is on the south side of the building, i.e. we are very close to the SE-corner of the main stable building.and are looking south on TV. The entrance that Faber and Thurmond used was the big opening on the stable´s southside. A map with all scenes filmed there is below.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-19 um 12.01.50.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-19 um 12.02.05.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-19 um 12.02.18.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-19 um 13.26.25.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1

UNKNOWN LOCATION: DECOY HOTEL ROOM FOUND?

I think we have a 80% chance that the hotel room where C&T find the decoy/relay phone was the Victor Hotel at 1144 Ocean Drive. This time it is only 80% and less consistent clues, but some circumstantial evidence

1. 1. no other hotel or Miami Beach hotel locations used or nearby in this episode (closest was 6/7 block of Washington), but this was an Art Deco hotel
  2. The room number (4-digits are suspicious for fake as no hotel had more than 999 rooms back then maybe except the Fontainbleau which is not Art Deco) says 7501 which would mean the first room at sea front on a 7th floor. The Victor has 8 floors. 7 floors are rare in Miami Beach hotels.
  3. In the room we see a "Victor" picture reversed in the mirror- I doubt that in 1985 then run down Art Deco hotels they had image posters or ads for other hotels or artists in the rooms. But many hotels had posters of their own hotel in the guest rooms, also seen in other episodes (e.g. the Fairmont). Does anyone know who gave the Victor its name? I could not find anything on that name origin.
  4. The configuration we see in the episode could match with the floor plan of the Victor
  5. This episode started filming on Monday 16 September. The previous episode, Junk LOve, wrapped filming on Friday 13 September 1985 and used the Victor a lot, but only the lobby and one room that rather looked like a side room of the lobby than e real guest room (last picture below - I could not find any similarities of guest rooms for that reason). It would have been convenient to use that hotel again on Monday 

Feedback or other ideas appreciated!

P.S. other episodes with the Victor (Heroes of the revolution) only used the lobby or at least no guest rooms to compare. The Victor was completely renovated and no old interior pics available.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-19 um 12.23.03.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-19 um 12.23.30.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-19 um 11.55.47.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-19 um 01.23.41.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-19 um 01.23.28.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-19 um 01.20.54.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 2

GETTING CLOSE TO THE UNKNOWN GALLERY - DOROTHY BLAU GALLERY MIAMI?

I am very close to find the gallery, because as with the horse farm there is a very interesting detail that we have overlooked.

The two portraits behind Thurmond and his ex-wife are two famous Andy Warhol portraits of Dorothy Berenson Blau (white and blue version), both painted in 1983. This is important as these are the originals (40x40 inches) and Dorothy Blau was an important art dealer in Miami from 1950s to 2013 (she died aged 96) who inspired Warhol to do 3 portraits of her (white, red version was made in 1986, blue). Their price is at least half a mil and they stayed in Blau´s property.

So, I asked myself who could have two genuine 1983 Warhol portraits of Blau in mid 1985 in his or her gallery and where? 

Dorothy Blau had several galleries over the years in Miami. First in 1953, then in Coconut Grove with the Burdines and then her main gallery in Bay Harbour, at 1088 Kane Concourse before closing it on Kane concourse and going to Boca Raton in the early 90s and opening a gallery there.

I checked that location a few months ago as Kane concourse was one of my main suspects for galleries. It has a green median in the street, but no green vegetation overhang on the other side, neither in 1986 nor in 1980. So ,this gallery´s street side does NOT fit what we see in this episode, but there must be a connection with the Blau painting. Warhol gifted them to Blau personally and she is the only person he painted 3 times, so it is unlikely that she borrowed it to someone else already two years later in 1985 (warhol died in 1987). I will try to track where that piece was exhibited in 1985 and then we´ll have our gallery!

https://www.artsy.net/artwork/andy-warhol-portrait-of-dorothy-blau-blue

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/art-from-estate-of-revered-miami-contemporary-art-dealer-dorothy-blau-headlines-auction-gallery-of-the-palm-beaches-march-30-sale-300056867.html

http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/ecatalogue/lot.260.html/2015/contemporary-day-n09346

The last pic shows Blau herself with the three portraits in her Bay Harbour home.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-19 um 20.14.19.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-19 um 20.16.45.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-19 um 20.29.50.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-19 um 20.51.14.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 4

I chased down all of the galleries in this article but they're all east of Bay Harbor Terrace, where there was no green across the street.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1993-02-21-9303183779-story.html

[edit]  Dorothy Blau was affiliated with the Berenson Gallery at 1128 Kane Concourse.

http://flcompanydb.com/company/406565/berenson-limited-inc.html

https://www.floridareg.com/company/323272/berenson-gallery-inc

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 2

1111 Kane Concourse (NW corner of Bay Harbor Terrace)  was completed in 1982, so that lot was not green during filming of Vice.

https://www.emporis.com/buildings/1265029/1111-kane-concourse-bay-harbor-islands-fl-usa

Trick Baby on Facebook if anybody wants to contact him...

https://www.facebook.com/henry.g.sanders.7/

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Tom said:

How did you find it?

23 hours ago, Crockettt said:

I googled for Tijodee Farms address and I found this site

https://www.payphone-project.com/numbers/usa/FL/HOMESTEAD/

Crockett doing his impression of Trudy.  :)

His consultancies may be a blind, but his
home address sure isn't. I got it right here.

How the hell'd you find it?

My extraordinary skill ... The telephone book.

• Haha 1

vor 6 Stunden schrieb airtommy:

I chased down all of the galleries in this article but they're all west of Bay Harbor Terrace, where there was no green across the street.

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:u8bKZNBZrz4J:https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1993-02-21-9303183779-story.html+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

[edit]  Dorothy Blau was affiliated with the Berenson Gallery at 1128 Kane Concourse.

http://flcompanydb.com/company/406565/berenson-limited-inc.html

https://www.floridareg.com/company/323272/berenson-gallery-inc

You mean east of BH terrace, as west of it there IS/WAS a green are across the street? 

But even there it does not fit. There was no green high vegetation and the building´s door front does not match the door area in the episode. I checked all addresses of all people that were connected with Dorothy Blau in the company databases (e.g. co-directors), but no find either (one address was in Miami Shores near Quay House, another in Hollywood/FL). I am stumped. But there must be a connection to these paintings and I still believe the use of Ft Lauderdale Executive airport was no coincidence. This episode had a huge diversion of geographies in locations but there gotta be at least 2 locations close to each other?

vor 3 Stunden schrieb airtommy:

Crockett doing his impression of Trudy.  :)

His consultancies may be a blind, but his
home address sure isn't. I got it right here.

How the hell'd you find it?

My extraordinary skill ... The telephone book.

I had no clue that Crockettt used the "Tijodee" clue I had just produced. I had to leave home for a couple of hours after I found the farm clue, but had no time to do a reverse check on the farm address (the link to it was literally the next one in my google list that I would have used after coming back). I exactly posted my preliminary results to enable others to help. When I came back he presented it. So, it was very helpful to understand how he got there, with my horse/farm clue or just by browsing Homestead on Google maps or other hunches. 

Edited by Tom

12 minutes ago, Tom said:

Don´t refrain yourself from making a contribution to the forum :p

I have done so multiple times in the past and sure will donate to the forum again. Unfortunately, the donation history seems to have been wiped out by the latest software release.  

Gerade eben schrieb daytona365:

I have done so multiple times in the past and sure will donate to the forum again. Unfortunately, the donation history seems to have been wiped out by the latest software release.  

Same with me. But I mean you could donate the Warhol, as you are "Swiss" and drive a Daytona....:funky:

2 hours ago, Tom said:

as you are "Swiss" and drive a Daytona....:funky:

I'd wish I'd drive a Daytona...I have only the poor man's version, made in Japan.

Interesting interview with Dorothy Blau about her relation to Andy Warhol and the three portraits of her. But unfortunately no new clues as to where her secret gallery was :)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tom said:

You mean east of BH terrace, as west of it there IS/WAS a green are across the street?

Yes, I meant east.

I think I just found the gallery! @airtommy

Dorothy Blau led the Hokin Gallery at 1086 Kane Concourse in the 80s, not just her "Blau" Gallery at 1088 Kane concourse next door. A 1981 gallery poster with the address and an article that she ran that gallery is below.

http://www.art-flash.com/BLAUESTATE/portraits.html

And: the door of the Hokin Gallery is still there and looks exactly like the door in the episode: the door frames, the glasses and the unique door handles with one significant knob or keyhole at exactly the right place (see below). 

This exact door/glass configuration cannot exist twice somewhere else! That´s stasticially impossible! Also there is a green hedge in front of the gallery entrance that matches the first green hedge we see in the background. Also the interior wall left of the door (seen from the inside) and the general layout of the gallery matches.

The only question remaining is the missing green overhang background vis a vis. There´s gotta be an explanation for it. When I magnified the background it seems there is a building behind the green background. The building vis a vis was and is very low (see historic aerial and today below. Maybe they decorated it or there were trees there in Sep 1985 (the aerial is from May-June 1986)?

P.S. some time ago a new member here on the forum contended that a gallery on Kane concourse was used as location in the series. I asked him where he had that intel from but he never replied. And I could not find any match at that time when I had no lead with the Dorothy Blau portrait.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-20 um 21.08.37.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-20 um 21.15.43.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-20 um 21.19.56.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-20 um 21.25.12.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-20 um 20.59.45.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-20 um 21.46.31.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-20 um 21.46.40.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 3

Great work!  The door is a perfect match, and the fire extinguisher is great detail.  The green must be some kind of illusion.  It might have something to do with reflections in the mirrored windows across the street.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

vor 2 Minuten schrieb airtommy:

Great work!  The door is a perfect match, and the fire extinguisher is great detail.  The green must be some kind of illusion.  It might have something to do with reflections in the mirrored windows across the street.

I haven´t even seen the fire distinguisher detail, but thanks for letting me know! :)

I checked the room. Behind the guy who is leaving we see that the wall is exactly left of the door. This also matches perfectly.

• Like 1

I sent

40 minutes ago, Tom said:

P.S. some time ago a new member here on the forum contended that a gallery on Kane concourse was used as location in the series. I asked him where he had that intel from but he never replied.

It was in the Miami Squeeze thread.  I just sent him a PM, maybe he'll return to the forum.  His contact info is remarkably easy to find. I might email him eventually.

• Like 1

vor 1 Minute schrieb airtommy:

I sent

It was in the Miami Squeeze thread.  I just sent him a PM, maybe he'll return to the forum.  His contact info is remarkably easy to find. I might email him eventually.

Thanks! Either this guy had a sixth sense or he had heard or read that the gallery was used in the series.:p

• Like 1

With the (exterior and interior) gallery, the horse farm and (most likely) the decoy phone hotel room we have not only found all locations in One way ticket, but also all in season 2 in general. @C Glidewill be proud of us and now has even more fun work ahead of him!

Overall countdown of unknown locations down to 19.

Fantastic gentlemen, I usually think I can't be more impressed with your detective work but today you've proved me wrong. :clap:

• Like 1