Episode 36 One Way Ticket

miamijimf

vor 47 Minuten schrieb wolfie1996:

Still looking for the "horse farm"? 

Santa Clarita, California, USA
(stock footage) (Establishing stock footage- horse ranch)

we´re looking for the real one. The establishing shot was most likely from California, but I don´t see how the link from IMDB could help as we cannot scan thousands of movies with a horse farm stock footage ....

1 minute ago, Tom said:

we´re looking for the real one. The establishing shot was most likely from California, but I don´t see how the link from IMDB could help as we cannot scan thousands of movies with a horse farm stock footage ...

Very much doubt if you'll find it then Tom. I expect these big places are much of a muchness, they'll usually have the same facilities  etc. Just been rewatching that one tonight actually. It had horses, cats and practising on a shooting range in it, what can I say?

Incredible find!

I had looked for this location at the Universal Studios backlot but nothing matched, so I gave up on the idea it was a movie set. 

It turns out the New York set was destroyed in 1990.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Studios_Hollywood#Backlot_fires

Edited by airtommy

On 2/28/2019 at 11:38 AM, airtommy said:

I had always assumed that we'd never find the location of the interior scenes at the Fein Gallery, but then I noticed that we can see out the door in the background.  Several times a car drives by.  That rules out Lincoln Road.  I suspect this was a real art gallery. 

I zoomed in on the door and enlarged it.  Maybe someone with Blu Ray can get better clarity.

Quayside is a possibility.

fein4b.png.063f6a8299c1a6e2c2275bf6499a82ea.png

fein3b.thumb.png.f2fd61c4b3c79f82a0aad1a1539fcb8c.png

Doesn't this look like a tree on a big green lawn?

1160 Kane Concourse kind of works, but there were no big shade trees across the street.

Edited by airtommy

vor 9 Stunden schrieb airtommy:

Doesn't this look like a tree on a big green lawn?

1160 Kane Concourse kind of works, but there were no big shade trees across the street.

As I posted pictures earlier, I am convinced that the background is a two way street with a green median AND a very green (bushy, trees, ...) overhang behind it. 

THAT combination is very unique and should lead to very few if not only one possibility left (most sections even of Biscayne Bvd or similar big streets do not have green medians), but I could not find anything, neither at Kane Concourse nor at any other typical gallery location at such a street. I also searched at all typical locations around Fort Lauderdale, as the usage of FL executive airport instead of Opa Locka Airport indicates another location use in that area.

On 3/27/2021 at 12:37 AM, airtommy said:

Incredible find!

I had looked for this location at the Universal Studios backlot but nothing matched, so I gave up on the idea it was a movie set. 

I 'obtained' a better resolution copy of the Kojak episode and watched the scene frame by frame. There are street signs that put the scene at the corner of 5th Ave and 52nd, which in reality looks totally different. That was a first strong indicator that this must have been filmed on a studio lot. Another one is the fact that said street signs were standing on large base plates instead of being cast in concrete. Further, the theatre entrance which is visible at the beginning of the scene in Kojak looked kind of familiar from many movies and also from having done the studio tour myself in the late 90s. Hence I googled for pictures of Universal Backlot New York Street, that's where I found stills from Dirty Harry and some other photos which confirmed the location. Sad it was destroyed by the fire. 

kojak6.thumb.jpg.5e8d2d8d7e0ffc3731d4d2b382a45725.jpg kojak7.thumb.jpg.185762f75b54c26405f3ec8138315296.jpg

Fein Gallery location:1970s_Backlot.thumb.jpg.c522499893a9415accbaa157261b6d7a.jpg

Here's another good shot I found today: gettyimages.thumb.jpg.df4d4e543778829efed7a80f603197be.jpg

Edited by daytona365
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

vor 55 Minuten schrieb daytona365:

I 'obtained' a better resolution copy of the Kojak episode and watched the scene frame by frame. There are street signs that put the scene at the corner of 5th Ave and 52nd, which in reality looks totally different. That was a first strong indicator that this must have been filmed on a studio lot. Another one is the fact that said street signs were standing on large base plates instead of being cast in concrete. Further, the theatre canopy that is visible at the beginning of the scene in Kojak looked kind of familiar from many movies and also from having done the studio tour myself in the late 90s. Hence I googled for pictures of Universal Backlot New York Street, that's where I found stills from Dirty Harry and some other photos which confirmed the location. Sad it was destroyed by the fire. 

kojak6.thumb.jpg.5e8d2d8d7e0ffc3731d4d2b382a45725.jpg kojak7.thumb.jpg.185762f75b54c26405f3ec8138315296.jpg

Fein Gallery location:1970s_Backlot.thumb.jpg.c522499893a9415accbaa157261b6d7a.jpg

Here's another good shot I found today: gettyimages.thumb.jpg.df4d4e543778829efed7a80f603197be.jpg

Another example of your great systematic detective work! You even have produced the smoking gun with those studio lot photos with the Fein Gallery front visible! :thumbsup:

Impressive and thanks for saving us lots of time chasing a "pink cangaroo" on NYC streets! :p

If you now could do us also a favor and find the actual gallery interior used in Miami, that would even save more time! :p

Edited by Tom
  • Haha 1

Gerade eben schrieb daytona365:

all reduced to rubble:

1970s__Universal-D.thumb.jpg.d48d826ead4eda5d61295ce8134fd664.jpg

afterfire.thumb.jpg.725a649c16b316f351c064bc1ba1c7df.jpg

Yeah, Universal seems to be an arsonist or at least very sloppy company. They lost Tim Truman´s master, they lost Joh Petersen´s by fire, they lost millions of archive copies incl. Miami Vice by fire...

Oh I forgot to mention: if the Fein Gallery interior is too tough to find for you, you can also opt-in for either one of the following cases asl alternatives:

• Ballard house in To have and to hold
  • Borrasca carpentry
  • Art gallery in Miami Squeeze

That should keep you busy for a while :funky:

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

When Thurmond and Faber are walking into the horse stall, a truck drives by.  Can anybody with HD read the writing on the side?

OneWay16.png.77fd3af1a325f802398489c763d1a9d8.png

OneWay17.png.26539991f60ac5fcb6be74c09c4f8c30.png

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 1

vor 4 Stunden schrieb airtommy:

When Thurmond and Faber are walking into the horse stall, a truck drives by.  Can anybody with HD read the writing on the side?

OneWay16.png.77fd3af1a325f802398489c763d1a9d8.png

OneWay17.png.26539991f60ac5fcb6be74c09c4f8c30.png

Good idea! Why haven‘t I noticed that before? I will take a look at the Koch BluRay. Best resolution. If not readable there then it is not readable anywhere else.

• Like 1

Just checked the scenes with the Koch BluRays. 

The writing on the horse truck would be perfectly readable due to sharpness when it was not moving. I let it run in all speeds, also frame by frame and it was too blurry in stills and too fast in motion to read. But there is also an emblem on the horse trailer that has the same look as the car pulling it, thus maybe this emblem can be recognized?

When Thurmond and Faber go  near the horses, the names "Plebeyo Jr." and "Plebeyo" could be read on the stables. Maybe these horse names can be tracked?

• Like 2

UPDATE; @airtommy
With a horse database I was able to track the owner and the breeder of the horse "Plebeyo" and it was a Columbian called Dee Torcise who also was on the Tijodee Farm in Florida (also known as Paso Fino Horse Farm). Its owner was Joseph Torcise who lived in Dade County until he moved to Tampa a few years before he died in 2013. I think we have a trail now. I found a few Paso Fino Farms in Ocala, but once we find one in Dade County that should be it.

https://www.allbreedpedigree.com/plebeyo

https://www.pfha.org/index.php/association-2/pfha-regions/florida/

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/herald/obituary.aspx?n=joseph-torcise&pid=163374559

Edited by Tom
  • Like 4

vor 2 Minuten schrieb Crockettt:

@Tom @airtommy What do you think about it?

28200 SW 182nd Ave, Homestead, FL

farm.png

Does not look right on first glance. The stables in the episode are in a 90 degree angle to the palm alley access road. But I´ll look into it in more detail, although I think I have checked this farm last year. We need a historic aerial 1986 but it does not work in this area, only the 1980 one.

vor 29 Minuten schrieb Crockettt:

@Tom @airtommy What do you think about it?

28200 SW 182nd Ave, Homestead, FL

farm.png

on second look I think you found it! 

There are some smaller differences (I made a red mark where it looks like the road would makes a turn on TV and the round horse training circle has been moved), but the palm alley is straight on TV, the stables look right with the same openings AND the best clue is the brick stone BBQ place on exactly the same spot compared to the stables than in the episode! And we can left of it see the remains of the roof that was there in the episode! 

See my pics below. If the BBQ and the roof next to it and the stables is a coincidence, then I will stop believing in statistics....

We need a historic aerial of that place to be sure!

P.S: I haven´t found the exact address of the Tijodee farm yet but the brothers had addresses in Homestead.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-18 um 20.09.29.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-18 um 20.09.51.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-18 um 20.10.53.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-18 um 20.11.28.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 4

Congrats @CrocketttYOU FOUND FABER´S HORSE FARM!

28200 SW 182 Ave, Homestead

The historic aerial of 1986 shows the BBQ and the roof next to it. Everything fits. Case closed after 30+ years! the farm was built in 1984, but is abandoned now and was for sale.

@miamijimf@daytona365@airtommy@Matt5

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-18 um 20.32.37.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-18 um 20.32.49.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-18 um 20.39.43.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-18 um 20.39.51.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-18 um 20.40.01.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-18 um 20.40.36.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-18 um 20.40.47.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 3

So weird: I was listening to the music from this episode earlier today and thinking that horse farm has got to be found soon. I guess I’ve been eating too much peanut butter. :) 

Congrats @Crockettt  

You will go down in the anals of location hunting for this one! :) 

• Like 1

vor 14 Minuten schrieb Dadrian:

So weird: I was listening to the music from this episode earlier today and thinking that horse farm has got to be found soon. I guess I’ve been eating too much peanut butter. :) 

Congrats @Crockettt  

You will go down in the anals of location hunting for this one! :) 

You gotta think more often about unknown locations! Then we´ll find the remaining ones faster :p

• Haha 1

Gerade eben schrieb wolfie1996:

Dadrian!!!!! Behave!

Wolfie behave! Dadrian wrote this, not me! The quotation is wrong, but I agree with the anals :funky:

• Like 1

To be sure, it’s an Izzy reference from “Made for Each Other” when they steal the cement truck. 

Edited by Dadrian
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Tom said:

Wolfie behave! Dadrian wrote this, not me! The quotation is wrong, but I agree with the anals 

Sorry Tom :)Mind you I read that sentence twice before it registered!

• Like 1