Questions & Answers Trivia

Ferrariman

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 2:58 PM, Scarab KV said:

You would be correct

The episode was written with a lot of fiction based on fact. Unlike today's circle racing, the early days of offshore was true offshore racing. Miami to Bimini, Bimini to a marker buoy 80 miles in the middle of no where and back to Miami. No GPS or Lowrance. Navigation was by chart, compass and stop watch. A couple degrees off over an hour and they're out of fuel. Most of the time these guys were racing on a proving ground platform to sell their product, so break downs or even a broken hull were not out of the question. Hanging off the back of the boat to change a prop in shark infested waters or bouncing around in the bilge in six foot swells was the norm. Some guys never made it back, others came back with broken ankles, arms or backs. Charlie broke his neck at one point over the years.

There's an old running joke about some of the boats being slower coming back then heading out, even though they were light on fuel by then. (heavy pay load) :)

I met with Charlie at the Miami show last week. He heads up an organization called HORBA (Historic Offshore Race Boat Association) that works to preserve and restore the iconic boats from back in the day. He asked that I register Star 2 with HORBA, because he felt that it has historic significance to the sport.

To say the least, I was honored that he asked and honored to stand with two of the most iconic figures in the sport.

That's very cool to get your boat registered...so you own Star 2 then? How did the name (Star) come about? And so as to the return of McCarthy with drugs on his boat, that was based on historical events as well it sounds like based on your comments. I can imagine the force of running at high speed over waves. I have felt the effects on a waverunner doing 45mph...lol 

Someday I need to get out on the open ocean on a power boat. I've been on small boats in the Gulf of Mexico before, but nothing with any serious horsepower.

6 hours ago, Sonny-Burnett said:

That's very cool to get your boat registered...so you own Star 2 then? How did the name (Star) come about? And so as to the return of McCarthy with drugs on his boat, that was based on historical events as well it sounds like based on your comments. I can imagine the force of running at high speed over waves. I have felt the effects on a waverunner doing 45mph...lol 

Someday I need to get out on the open ocean on a power boat. I've been on small boats in the Gulf of Mexico before, but nothing with any serious horsepower.

Yes, I purchased Star 2 from the original owner  in October.  Randy started the Star 2 Barn Find thread while I was in route to Wisconsin with it. 

When ever a boat scene was filmed, both boats were required to be on location. To keep them straight on the radios, the crew named them Stars 1&2. 

The owner was reluctant to sell the boat, because he was afraid the boat wouldn't be kept original. After numerous conversations about the history of the boats, he decided to let me purchase it because I was the only person in 30 years that knew the significance of the numeral 2 on the transom and felt I would restore it historically correct.

I'm really happy about Charlie wanting the boat registered. It's great recognition for Vice in general. Miami Vice introduced the general masses to the offshore boat and most Go Fast guys will tell you, Vice is the reason they're into boating. The up coming restoration has created quite a buzz in the boat forums. I'm very fortunate to have her.

Google Don Aronow or Ben Kramer. It'll give you a little insight to the dark side of the sport. Aronow was building the boats the smugglers used and then built comparable boats for the DEA....Oops

Where are you located? Maybe I can get ya on a Go Fast

IMG_1066390222149322.jpeg

Edited by Scarab KV
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Sonny-Burnett said:

When Noogie first sees the Daytona in Cool Runnin, what did he say about it?

Any takers?

He says it is a 360 party car and a rocket to the moon!

• Like 1

• Administrators
11 hours ago, Sonny-Burnett said:

When Noogie first sees the Daytona in Cool Runnin, what did he say about it?

Any takers?

"Daytona! 365 party car, rocket to the moon"

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ferrariman said:

"Daytona! 365 party car, rocket to the moon"

Yep, my sentiments exactly....always loved that line.  ;)

22 hours ago, Scarab KV said:

Yes, I purchased Star 2 from the original owner  in October.  Randy started the Star 2 Barn Find thread while I was in route to Wisconsin with it. 

When ever a boat scene was filmed, both boats were required to be on location. To keep them straight on the radios, the crew named them Stars 1&2. 

The owner was reluctant to sell the boat, because he was afraid the boat wouldn't be kept original. After numerous conversations about the history of the boats, he decided to let me purchase it because I was the only person in 30 years that knew the significance of the numeral 2 on the transom and felt I would restore it historically correct.

I'm really happy about Charlie wanting the boat registered. It's great recognition for Vice in general. Miami Vice introduced the general masses to the offshore boat and most Go Fast guys will tell you, Vice is the reason they're into boating. The up coming restoration has created quite a buzz in the boat forums. I'm very fortunate to have her.

Google Don Aronow or Ben Kramer. It'll give you a little insight to the dark side of the sport. Aronow was building the boats the smugglers used and then built comparable boats for the DEA....Oops

Where are you located? Maybe I can get ya on a Go Fast

Sorry admins for hijacking this thread, so I will post over in the Star 2 thead.

On 2/20/2016 at 10:26 AM, timm525 said:
10 minutes ago, Ferrariman said:

QUESTION:   What city in Florida was Switek's old stomping ground?

Stuart Fla.

46 minutes ago, Sonny-Burnett said:

Assuming Jim was correct, new question:

Det Zito was a regular attendee of a group outside of his day job. What was the group?

Alcoholics Anonymous 

• Administrators

QUESTION:   In "Out Where The Buses Don't Run"  Hank Weldon imitated and/or quoted several different stars or TV shows.  Name the star he's imitating with this quote and the "classic" TV show it's from.

"Hold on little Luke!  Pepino!  I'm a comin!"

Good luck!

He's impersonating the unmistakable Walter Brennan playing the role of grandpa in The Real McCoys, a 60s show, and referring to his grandson Luke.

And who was he mimicking, and from what film,  when Weldon said " Costanza don't have to show you no stinking reservations"?

Edited by Sonny-Burnett

Originally this came from the Humphrey Bogard movie Treasure of the Sierra Madre when a Mexican bandit leader says to Humphrey "I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges."  It was later used in Blazing Saddles.

• Administrators
On ‎2016‎-‎02‎-‎26 at 10:37 AM, Sonny-Burnett said:

He's impersonating the unmistakable Walter Brennan playing the role of grandpa in The Real McCoys, a 60s show, and referring to his grandson Luke.

And who was he mimicking, and from what film,  when Weldon said " Costanza don't have to show you no stinking reservations"?

Nice!  I must say, I'm impressed! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

23 hours ago, miamijimf said:

Originally this came from the Humphrey Bogard movie Treasure of the Sierra Madre when a Mexican bandit leader says to Humphrey "I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges."  It was later used in Blazing Saddles.

Right, it was the Bogart film spoken by the Bandito Gold Hat , having first said "we ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges."

Also in Out Where the Busses Don't Run, at Stiltsville, Switek upon hearing plane engines said "out of the blue of the western sky".

What tv show was this an apparent reference to?

(I know miamijimf knows this one already)

Edited by Sonny-Burnett
  • Like 1