Love at first sight

Tom

On 7/17/2020 at 5:30 AM, Tom said:

This dead end street location is driving me nuts

In SW grid, houses are too big/fancy for what we see here and there are hardly any dead end streets there too.

I disagree.  I remember searching around Pinecrest and seeing many dead-end streets and plenty of houses like this one.

The staggered intersection clue is VERY interesting.

vor 4 Stunden schrieb airtommy:

I disagree.  I remember searching around Pinecrest and seeing many dead-end streets and plenty of houses like this one.

The staggered intersection clue is VERY interesting.

Then where is it? I checked all dead ends north and south but could not find it. And at the south ones all houses were much too big and expensive compared to the small one we see.

Edited by Tom

Am 24.7.2020 um 04:29 schrieb airtommy:

I did another special search for the staggered intersection pattern we see in the episode (the search for other 3- or -way intersections with dead ends without staggered streets I did earlier already but to no avail) from NE180 to SW180 Street.

I found only 3 basically fitting staggered patterns in whole Miami Dade, all of them in Kendall section, west of Dixie, but they are all a wash at second sight due to vegetation and non-matching houses including double check on historic aerials 1986. Only 1 (the one left on the map on SW128 Street had also the right distance between staggered streets and the right minimum length of dead end). Not a single(!) fitting staggered dead-end street in Pinecrest or in the NW/NE areas.

Map below shows two of the three, quite close to other locations, the third is less fitting as the layout fits, but not the dimensions (distance between staggered streets too far).

So, and now I waiting impatiently for @airtommys many many dead end street candidates in Pinecrest with the correct (staggered or not) configurations, let alone the further match of vegetation or houses :).

Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-30 um 16.51.21.png

Edited by Tom

• 3 weeks later...

THE DEAD END STREET MYSTERY GOES ON...

As nobody here seems to have the BluRay set, I have organized one myself. And, there is indeed a tall structure in the dark background: a high rise with a .... US flag on top on a high pole, clearly visible! The building seems to be quite broad as the right edge of the vertical structure is visible ...

I only found 5 intersections with fitting staggered dead end streets, but neither fits. The US flag building adds more mystery to it now, as the neighborrhood looks like far off and not near any high rises...

See picture proof below with the US flag on top. Two pictures: with and without Crockett´s headlights towards the camera...

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-17 um 21.14.07.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-17 um 21.14.39.png

UNKNOWN BAR SCENE WITH TERRY: CLUB NU 

There is a small bar scene at the beginning with Gina and Terry that is still marked as unknown by @C Glide. I always knew that this was filmed inside Club Nu too, as I was in Club Nu myself and recognized the interior, but I could not prove it and CGlide always insists on proof.

Thus, I post the picture below. It shows the original Club Nu logo inside (taken from Like a hurricane teaser scene with Caitlin) and compares it to the blurry logo behind Terry in the background. In order to get a better impression I also tried to distort the logo in an attempt to get it close to the blurry one. One can clearly see that behind Terry is a triangle shaped neon logo (twisted a bit to the left) with something sticking out at 2pm and this matches exactly the Club Nu logo.

P.S. when I lived in Miami in 91/92, I went two times to Club Nu. It was a huge club with very costly deco that changed every three months. There was a huge dance floor with big DJ soace and in the left corner (after entering the entrance) there was the elevated seating area we all see in the episode several times. When I saw that in person, I had to hold on for one moment to pay tribute to this holy ground...

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-17 um 21.37.01.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Tom said:

You have 3 guesses!

It’s been my experience that there are 3 kinds of people in the world: those who can count, and those who can’t. 

vor 10 Stunden schrieb Dadrian:

It’s been my experience that there are 3 kinds of people in the world: those who can count, and those who can’t. 

"Two kinds of people in this world: winners and losers" (Lindsey Buckingham, "Go Insane", 1984):p

Also true for location hunting. This dead end street is really getting to me....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tom said:

"Two kinds of people in this world: winners and losers" (Lindsey Buckingham, "Go Insane", 1984):p

Also true for location hunting. This dead end street is really getting to me....

Don’t lose your power in this world. 

THE VIDEO DATING SERVICE

This location is a tough nut, but slowly I am getting closer to locations with the right vibes for this unknown spot.

It felt very warm when I checked around the Miami University campus in Coral Gables, north of Dixie Highway. Not only that they have a lot of innovative architecture buildings (campus built in 1980), but also some of their addresses (Miller Drive, Memorial Drive) are very close (and the only potential ones that close in Miami Dade) to the fake address on the warrant Tubbs presented (400 Montgomery Drive). Also, it has faculty buildings for communications, art and music, which come close to explaining the location purpose with the screens, the interior architecture and fits to the situation in the episode with no traffic and wide spaces in front of building.

Specifically I focused on my attention on the Miami Business School building (red arrow), because it was only half of that size in 1986 (NE side extended later and clearly distinguishable from above due to color of roof) and has some similar archictectural features. Although we cannot see the NE-side on historic aerials, it must be dismissed, but it was a good lead. The university area is huge and has a lot buildings to check left - so far I haven´t found any clear match, but it needs to be checked with 1986 historic aerials as well to be sure. Some buildings also have this white plant boxes or murals in the front that we see in the distance in the episode.

I posted this as i might help others to spark ideas where to search.

P.S. at one point, I thought the wall and some grass and small white structures in the right location background behind Tubbs and Switek outside could be a cemetery and checked all cemetery surroundings in Miami Dade. No fit. Seems they (still) have hardly any cemeteries for a greater area with population of 5m people.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-23 um 17.41.58.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-23 um 18.06.36.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-23 um 18.07.16.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-23 um 18.14.52.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, Tom said:

This location is a tough nut, but slowly I am getting closer to locations with the right vibes for this unknown spot.

I can see you now... :) 

60CC9418-A85D-4D86-8DA2-7BD9667A5965.png

vor 17 Minuten schrieb Dadrian:

I can see you now... :) 

60CC9418-A85D-4D86-8DA2-7BD9667A5965.png

No rather the scene where Crockett says „only this house has the right vibe...“ when watching the picture gallery...

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tom said:

No rather the scene where Crockett says „only this house has the right vibe...“ when watching the picture gallery...

Please let us know when you start putting flour on your face. :) 

vor 5 Minuten schrieb Dadrian:

Please let us know when you start putting flour on your face. :) 

What do you mean “flour“!? That’s my location beauty peeling! :p

• Haha 1

Cool, I was teaching at UM from 84 to 89.  Don't remember Vice at UM, It would have been the talk of the campus because the show was so popular.  Not conclusive evidence of course.  I do remember passing the film crew in the Gables, but don't remember exactly what year.

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 2

vor 9 Minuten schrieb miamijimf:

Cool, I was teaching at UM from 84 to 89.  Don't remember Vice at UM, It would have been the talk of the campus because the show was so popular.  Not conclusive evidence of course.  I do remember passing the film crew in the Gables, but don't remember exactly what year.

Great intel, thanks!

Maybe you just could tell us where you DID NOT see the crew and I´ll skip those places :p!

P.S. in Gables they only filmed in later years (season 3 and after, if we count the Art Central building as Gables....)

2 hours ago, Tom said:

Great intel, thanks!

Maybe you just could tell us where you DID NOT see the crew and I´ll skip those places :p!

P.S. in Gables they only filmed in later years (season 3 and after, if we count the Art Central building as Gables....)

Good idea, what part of the Gables should I mention first.  :birdie:

Am 17.8.2020 um 21:22 schrieb Tom:

THE DEAD END STREET MYSTERY GOES ON...

As nobody here seems to have the BluRay set, I have organized one myself. And, there is indeed a tall structure in the dark background: a high rise with a .... US flag on top on a high pole, clearly visible! The building seems to be quite broad as the right edge of the vertical structure is visible ...

I only found 5 intersections with fitting staggered dead end streets, but neither fits. The US flag building adds more mystery to it now, as the neighborrhood looks like far off and not near any high rises...

See picture proof below with the US flag on top. Two pictures: with and without Crockett´s headlights towards the camera...?(

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-17 um 21.14.07.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-17 um 21.14.39.png

I tend to give up on this and the other mysteries in this episode.

I spent countless hours in the last few weeks on all missing locations (the two crime scenes and the video dating service) and checked all areas left and right of Dixie and Biscayne Bvd for the flag building behind the dead end street but to no avail. Maybe someone else wants to try? @daytona365?

Possibly better to try to contact DJ on FB and ask him as the director of the episode if he has the production notes somewhere or can organize them. ?(

Edited by Tom

THE DEAD END STREET: BEST SUSPECT 10700 SW 80 AVE, KENDALL

Best suspect so far, but I fear that ain´t it.

Matches: dimensions and distances to intersection, greenery and curved driveway to a house with the same shape and form, same front roofline. Very close to Crockett´s house in this episode.

Mismatch: the house has two side windows instead one in the middle, the roofline in the background does not match. No highrise with US flag in background. On historic aerial it shows the houses are the same like 30 years ago and there was much less vegetation back then. 

There is no staggerd intersection, but meanwhile I tend to believe that it was none, just the dead end sign placed too far away form the intersection.. Because there are hardly any staggered intersections in whole Miami and none near a highrise with flag in the background, this mix is completely unlikely.

Final verdict: no match, but this is closest so far.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-27 um 20.42.52.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-27 um 20.43.10.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-27 um 20.44.17.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-27 um 20.42.14.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-19 um 19.30.52.png

• Like 1

On 8/26/2020 at 9:36 PM, Tom said:

I tend to give up on this and the other mysteries in this episode.

I spent countless hours in the last few weeks on all missing locations (the two crime scenes and the video dating service) and checked all areas left and right of Dixie and Biscayne Bvd for the flag building behind the dead end street but to no avail. Maybe someone else wants to try? @daytona365?

Possibly better to try to contact DJ on FB and ask him as the director of the episode if he has the production notes somewhere or can organize them. ?(

I don't think I wanna openly admit how many hours I have burned on the Video Dating club over the last couple weeks. I don't want the people here to think I'm crazy. I mean, everybody already knows you're nuts but I was hoping I could maintain my cover for a bit longer :p :dance2:   ....let's just say my eyes were almost bleeding.

I've checked hospitals, clinics, spas, beauty centers, gyms, media companies, tv studios, radio studios, universities and what not but all to no avail.

Edited by daytona365

vor 2 Stunden schrieb daytona365:

I don't think I wanna openly admit how many hours I have burned on the Video Dating club over the last couple weeks. I don't want the people here to think I'm crazy. I mean, everybody already knows you're nuts but I was hoping I could maintain my cover for a bit longer :p :dance2:   ....let's just say my eyes were almost bleeding.

I've checked hospitals, clinics, spas, beauty centers, gyms, media companies, tv studios, radio studios, universities and what not but all to no avail.

Oh a silent co-sufferer cane forward :D

we should really ask DJ -it was his episode- and tell him we are that close to end up either in the looney bin or in local cut if we don’t find these remaining locations -maybe he has mercy with us :)

DEAD END STREET: another dismissal

Here is one at SW 106 Street with the correct house but other clues not matching (no wall in front of the neighbor house to the left, no circle driveway, no power line/flag structure). This is not really a dead end street, but could have been 30 years ago (two dead end streets connected?).

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-29 um 14.08.33.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-29 um 14.10.34.png

• Like 1

On 7/14/2020 at 6:46 AM, Tom said:

UNKNOWN CRIME SCENE AT DEAD END STREET

Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-09 um 21.43.05.png

It's possible this is not a dead end sign.  There are many other possibilities, such as this:

diamondsign.thumb.jpg.9944bb4cae53eefe7fc5207cc196a26c.jpg

Or even this!    :)

bigfoot.jpg.a41ca328095fdf8803e9f7f0e4b9c69a.jpg

• Like 1