Love at first sight

Tom

1 hour ago, daytona365 said:

I'm sold on it

Hals_1.thumb.jpg.7a694de298fbc8592ceec165c543dd1a.jpg

Hals_2.thumb.jpg.ec8b4ab15d09c9bc9855d572989dec77.jpg

Great work and only one block from “Golddiggers” at 5630 Santa Monica Bvld in East Hollywood which we also see in this montage.

Edited by Matt5
  • Thanks 1

Unkown locations:

crimescene 1 

Clues: body is in a dead-end street with most likely a 3 or 4-way intersection (it is not sure whether one can turn right, but Crockett comes straight from the opposite site and the street from the left seems to be operative, this excludes lots of T-shaped intersections), a small green part with neighbors close behind. The driveway to the ordinary house behind Tubbs is not paved.

Crimescene 2

Clues: 3 story building on opposite side, Miami Beach style. Left of that is a smaller house with vegetation in between. The property further left is partly with trees and partly occupied, but no high rise building. The building where the body is found has distinct columns. 

NB: there are C, T and Russell in both scenes. This might indicate that locations are close to each other.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-19 um 19.30.21.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-19 um 19.30.52.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-19 um 19.31.08.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-19 um 19.33.23.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-19 um 19.34.05.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-19 um 19.34.28.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-19 um 19.35.25.png

Unkown location: the video dating service

Clues: exit sign (no private property, customer traffic), no direct street access but huge garden/long walkway to the main entrance=want to have some privacy and no hotel?, reversed V shape on desk and ceilings, wall with monitors seem to be genuine (what type of business has such a thing 1987?), the hallway looks elusive and has side doors. Maybe a beauty clinic?

Bauhaus style building. Should be visible from above.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-19 um 19.24.36.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-19 um 19.25.48.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-19 um 19.26.13.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-19 um 19.28.28.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-19 um 19.28.51.png

16 hours ago, daytona365 said:

I think I found it, 5556 Santa Monica Blvd, which happens to be a cocktail place:

Fantastic find, and also the little matching details!

The video dating service: I just thought I had it!

First, I found two clues I have not noticed before (both emphasized in red in pictures below).

An unidentified white tall structure close to the entrance outside. It is only half visible but could be a good clue. I wondered if that could be a sculpture, or be a modern part of a Bill Bob Proverb type of "church" (would somehow also fit to the suspected purpose of the building with the monitors.

Outside the entrance seems to be a house on the other side of the street and some kind of "flower boxes" that usually are placed in front of public buildings.

But the real kick I got when I studied Tubb´s warrant he showed to the mouthy clerk! (see picture below).

I sharpened the picture, magnified it and after 15 minutes of playing around with it, I was able to read after some attempts: "defendant: Video Dating Exclusive, 630 Montgomery Drive, Miami 33640 FL". I thought BINGO! Maybe they are honest this time again like with the 78 Ave/SW127 address and, as a gag, entered the right address. Montgomery Drive is SW120 Street that runs through Pinecrest and Kendall and is therefore also close to some known locations in the episode. 

It´s clear that the 3-digit house number (it´s 3 digits for sure even if a misread it) is not possible. SW 120 Street starts close to 6000 and goes up, but I thought maybe the street name is real. The zip code is not existent in Miami either, as they run only from 33100 to 33300 according to the Miami zip code dictionary. But maybe I misread that. It´s still very blurry.

But, after, "walking" up and down SW 120 Street on Google virtually several times in 2D and 3D, I could not find any building (modern, some distance to the street, a tall structure in front of it) that fits! Just residential ordinary houses, one church, one school and two gas stations at the intersection with Dixie. It seems they put a fake address on the warrant this time :thumbsdown:

Maybe some of you fellow detectives can check the BlueRay for a sharper still of the warrant (I have used screenshots from Amazon Prime) and also SW 120 Street in case I overlooked something.?

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-22 um 22.08.37.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-22 um 22.09.43.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-22 um 22.11.59.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 2

I have proven before that Crockett´s and Caitlin´s home (10900 SW 83 Court) was the same in three broadcasted episodes (filmed there only in Love at first sight and Rock and a hard place+ filmed with LAFS and edited later into opening of Rising sun of death). Here I share a few interesting comparison shots between LAFS and RAAHP. 

Please refer specifically to the tile pattern on the floor and the kitchen wall (same kitchen used in both episodes), the staircase and the yellow structure. Everything matches up perfectly. For those who have no perfect memory of all scenes I added the episode name in each still.

Enjoy!

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-23 um 13.38.36.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-23 um 13.38.59.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-23 um 13.41.02.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-23 um 13.41.18.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-23 um 13.45.00.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-23 um 13.45.33.png

• Like 1

vor 9 Minuten schrieb Crockettt:

@Tom

screenshot from blu-ray release, hope it helps:

00008.m2ts_snapshot_09.31.121.png

Thanks! This leads to the same result and is surprisingly not clearer than my low resolution version.

37 minutes ago, Crockettt said:

@Tom

screenshot from blu-ray release, hope it helps:

00008.m2ts_snapshot_09.31.121.png

27 minutes ago, Tom said:

Thanks! This leads to the same result and is surprisingly not clearer than my low resolution version.

Looks like “400” on the address to me. Still a no-go?

edit: I read your post more closely. Gotcha. 

Edited by Dadrian

• 4 weeks later...

As for the video dating club:

the partial tall exterior structure we see on the upper left of the pic with Tubbs&Switek could be vital to spot it from above or outside. Could this part that we see belong to such a kind of structure as in my second pic (not this exact one of course, but a similar looking one)?

There seems to be a thick concrete bridge structure going across above the entrance area (pic 4), maybe this is the extended ground part of the very same exterior tall structure?

I am still struggling to understand the nature of this (public) building with "exit" sign., so I searched for modern churches in Miami as I wondered that this tall structure could be a modern version of a church tower. Any other ideas?

The entrance of this modern, concrete, square shaped building has a long roofed entrance as can be seen in a glimpse (picture 3).

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-16 um 17.59.13.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-17 um 12.19.39.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-23 um 00.26.35.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-16 um 17.57.29.png

Edited by Tom

• 3 weeks later...

UNKNOWN LOCATION FOUND: THE FBI OFFICE 

16320 NW 2 AVE, MIAMI

This is a 99% case with too many coincidences.

1. This is the former main FBI office building built in 1987 (the moved from there to Miramar in 2015), now this is occupied by Toyota. https://therealdeal.com/miami/2019/08/30/toyota-of-north-miami-locks-up-former-fbi-building-near-miami-gardens-for-13m/

2. There seems to be genuine FBI seals and names (VICAP - Violent Crime Apprehension program) behind C&T. VICAP was started in 1985. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violent_Criminal_Apprehension_Program. Also, contrary to earlier episodes especially in season 1-2, the FBI and its agents is not portrayed as a goofy here, so that´s another indication that the FBI supported on this episode with their office as a real location. The office was opened in 1987, so maybe they had no full office operations at the time of filming?

So no indications of a studio from the whole looks.

3. but what´s decisive and goes beyond any coincidence: I traced the whole walk of C&T&Russell through the building and it matches with all very significant details:

• rounded hallway at the beginning (there is indication that there are other rounded hallways, to be seen from above)
  • long slim windows with a crossbeam,  same number of windows, small window divider in lower half (currently there is more than one, but that could have been added later)
  • Russell´s office (sign: Room 117, "Division I, Private") layout matches with the window patterns (rounded window, some space, another window).

The building is currently unoccupied, interior pics from reconstrunction phase and the floor plan can be seen below.

4. This location is close to the studio and gives new clues as to other unknown locations of this episode nearby. (They had a record of 13 different outdoor locations in this episode and only 7 days of shooting from 17-25 Nov1987 as Nov 17 was a Tuesday)

Pictures attached.

ENJOY!

P.S. UPDATE: this Miami FBI head office was either opened or construction completed in late July 1987 according to this press article: https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1987-07-25-mn-1030-story.html

Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-08 um 12.21.46.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-08 um 12.24.24.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-08 um 12.21.11.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-08 um 12.25.29.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-08 um 12.25.59.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-08 um 12.30.37.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-08 um 12.31.09.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-08 um 12.23.43.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-08 um 12.20.24.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-08 um 12.39.22.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-09 um 21.57.12.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-02-07 um 17.23.39.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-02-07 um 17.29.11.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-02-07 um 17.42.07.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-02-07 um 17.46.34.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/17/2020 at 12:27 PM, Tom said:

As for the video dating club:

the partial tall exterior structure we see on the upper left of the pic with Tubbs&Switek could be vital to spot it from above or outside. Could this part that we see belong to such a kind of structure as in my second pic (not this exact one of course, but a similar looking one)?

There seems to be a thick concrete bridge structure going across above the entrance area (pic 4), maybe this is the extended ground part of the very same exterior tall structure?

I am still struggling to understand the nature of this (public) building with "exit" sign., so I searched for modern churches in Miami as I wondered that this tall structure could be a modern version of a church tower. Any other ideas?

The entrance of this modern, concrete, square shaped building has a long roofed entrance as can be seen in a glimpse (picture 3).

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-16 um 17.59.13.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-17 um 12.19.39.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-23 um 00.26.35.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-16 um 17.57.29.png

Anyone any clue what this could be? a radio mast maybe?

grafik.thumb.png.73c4308af07ca635bd6562a81e9fd3f7.png

vor 11 Stunden schrieb daytona365:

Anyone any clue what this could be? a radio mast maybe?

grafik.thumb.png.73c4308af07ca635bd6562a81e9fd3f7.png

Thanks for the sharp eye!

But, I have to disappoint you: that seems to be no new clue, but a very profane thing: a staked palm tree trunk - I can be sure because I grow palm trees myself. Just 1-2m to the left of it there is another staked palm trunk and we can even see the base of the crownshaft of the second palm tree. I marked both palm trees in the picture below.

So, I fear we have to stick to the clues we already have and the high structure and the assumed exterior appearance I have puzzled together above is all we got at the moment, unless we understand the purpose of the building (church, ....?), then it will be easier ...

P.S. @daytona365what is your thought on the FBI office above despite some small differences...?

Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-09 um 11.34.32.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-09 um 11.38.40.png

Edited by Tom

UNKNOWN LOCATION: VIDEO DATING SERVICE

I am inching closer to understand what the purpose of this building is.

I found this triangular arch that we see along the hallway around/above and behind Crockett (or whatever the correct architectural term is for this round columns resting on a squared base and a triangular roof on top?) seems to be quite common in hospitals or clinics. See also the second pic from the dental clinic of the Baptist Hospital. Thus, I start to think that our video dating service could in fact be a day clinic or a dental clinic ,stand-alone or as part of a hospital. But only as side building (for a hospital, the entrance/reception area is not big enough). The big concrete structure in front and around the entrance area of the "club" would also fit to a hospital area, as well as the short fence in front and the blocked entrance (one can only enter in a 90 degree angle as a concrete structure is located in front of the entrance.

What do you think? What´s the correct term for this "triangle arch" to trigger better searches? What do architecture buffs like @miamijimf say?

Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-13 um 00.45.52.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-13 um 00.46.08.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1

vor 2 Stunden schrieb airtommy:

That's an incredibly close match.  Where is that building?

That’s the dental clinic of the Baptist Hospital in Kendall at SW 87 Ave (same pink building like in the hospital post in Miami Squeeze-very close to plant 31).

Don’t get me wrong. This building is NOT the video dating club - too big, no outside match- but this design element matches and it is mostly found in clinics or similar public places which leads me to believe our video dating service location may have a similar purpose.

9 hours ago, Tom said:

UNKNOWN LOCATION: VIDEO DATING SERVICE

I am inching closer to understand what the purpose of this building is.

I found this triangular arch that we see along the hallway around/above and behind Crockett (or whatever the correct architectural term is for this round columns resting on a squared base and a triangular roof on top?) seems to be quite common in hospitals or clinics. See also the second pic from the dental clinic of the Baptist Hospital. Thus, I start to think that our video dating service could in fact be a day clinic or a dental clinic ,stand-alone or as part of a hospital. But only as side building (for a hospital, the entrance/reception area is not big enough). The big concrete structure in front and around the entrance area of the "club" would also fit to a hospital area, as well as the short fence in front and the blocked entrance (one can only enter in a 90 degree angle as a concrete structure is located in front of the entrance.

What do you think? What´s the correct term for this "triangle arch" to trigger better searches? What do architecture buffs like @miamijimf say?

Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-13 um 00.45.52.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-13 um 00.46.08.png

Well...you have said before it could have been a beauty clinic, so I've been looking at any of these I could find, then extended my search to hospitals / medical facilities. No luck yet, but I also think it's the right path. Further, I believe that the structure in front of the entrance could a building connector that links the main building to a parking garage or similar, like in this example:

grafik.thumb.png.2781924b136dbeec9a634ef20801ff18.png

vor 10 Minuten schrieb daytona365:

Well...you have said before it could have been a beauty clinic, so I've been looking at any of these I could find, then extended my search to hospitals / medical facilities. No luck yet, but I also think it's the right path. Further, I believe that the structure in front of the entrance could a building connector that links the main building to a parking garage or similar, like in this example:

grafik.thumb.png.2781924b136dbeec9a634ef20801ff18.png

yes, that was my thought too yesterday! But I think there is more to it -  the concrete structure (there are two - the tall element and the "bridging" in front of the entrance) also could be an architectural element easily to be seen from the street.  I think the purpose of the building is key. Once we have that, we´ll have enough exclusion criteria to focus our search within Miami and find it.  

Edited by Tom

vor 9 Minuten schrieb daytona365:

I think I'm sold on it.

Thanks! Your skill-based opinion is really appreciated!

I am aware there are minor discrepancies like with the window height outside. but the dimensions (walking distances, window appearances and turns of the C/T/Russell walk through the building´s aisles) exactly match and if this is a coincidence, then my university degree in statistics is void...:)

UNKNOWN CRIME SCENE AT DEAD END STREET

I checked all dead end streets near the FBI location and between there and the studio. No find. Only one came close at NE 151 Street.

But I found new clues: the stop sign is much more distant than the dead-end sign (which usually stands exactly at the start of the dead-end street). Thus I conclude the streets coming from the left (dead end sign) and the right (stop sign) are shifted 20-30m from each other which is unusual and would exclude many dead end street intersections in Dade county. 

Also I found a high structure (mast or building? encircled in pic below) in the background that could be positioned left of the street running towards the camera. Earlier I was not 100% sure if there is a street straight ahead after the stop sign or not which would add further clarity how the intersection pattern as a whole looks like. 

Anyway, 90% that this location is near other locations as it is insignificant. And, as Tubbs and Russell are the only other actors appearing, this might be close to the other unknown crime scene (Miami Beach 5 story building with elevator, Miami Beach due to the pink ped walk on the other side)

Has someone the BluRay version to check on that mast or building in the background? My pics have to much artifacts in it when increase lightning. 

Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-09 um 21.43.05.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1

This dead end street location is driving me nuts. Have checked 100s of dead end streets now (there are not that many especially with a fitting street pattern), especially in the NW/NE grid but zilch. In SW grid, houses are too big/fancy for what we see here and there are hardly any dead end streets there too.

Also, I searched MB for the 5 story building with the metal fence with no result. I fear it is gone now.

@daytona365 My hopes are on Switzerland now :D!

As for the unknown video dating club building - which is also driving me nuts now - , I found a small new clue: I always thought we see a long closed hallway with triangular arches and doors to the left and right here, but close scrutiny of the last fast camera movement revealed that on the left side behind the the first triangular arch there seems to be bigger room (event room?) with a kind of balcony above it, so the left side of the "aisle" is open! One golden colums is in between the "hallway" and the open space. Very interesting detail! I have learnt not to underestimate even seemingly irrelevant details, so I post it here, maybe it helps in finding it...

My pics below are unfortunately very blurry due to the fast camera movement (DJ wanted to film from the killer´s POV) but it gives at least a bit more understanding about the building pattern and the purpose. The rooms to the right are maybe no treatment rooms as we thought but something else...

Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-17 um 11.35.56.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-17 um 11.43.52.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-17 um 11.48.20.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1