Love at first sight

Tom

NIGHT CRIME SCENE FOUND

99% chance that I have found the unknown crime scene at the suspected dead end street. 

The small driveway with the body we see is most likely SW111 Terrace, close to the intersection of Kilian Drive and SW 82 Ave, which is only 400 yards air distance away from Crockett´s house and is exactly en route if you drive from South Dixie to Crockett´s home at 83 Court.

What matches: 

the small house with the curved driveway is on the 86 aerial (it was removed and replaced around the mid 90s). The hedge in front matches, as are the trees where Crockett leaves his car and the whole setting of the intersection including the distances, the grassy shoulders of the street, the vegetation behind Crockett and the powerline masts. What gives me confidence are the details of the house (the roof, the hedge, the slight angle at which the house is located against the street and the curve of the driveway). There is a second house visible on the aerial which is not in the episode as it is out of frame, but that would explain the strong curve of the driveway(which is directed at the main house/second house and the light that originates from outside the frame from the right. Also the background left of the house fits as this was a long open space with some lights in the far distance.

What does not fully match or is not visible: the house and the fence in the distance behind Crockett is not visible on the 86 aerial and the 94 aerial is so blurry that it is not sure whether there is a fence and a house. The house looks rather new as is the fence, so both could have been built in 1987 and therefore missing on the 86 aerial.

Bottom line: the best suspect so far, with a small question mark for the house in the distance.

Feedback appreciated. @daytona365 what do you say?

Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-03 um 00.17.46.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-03 um 00.17.03.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-03 um 00.17.23.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-03 um 00.20.38.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-03 um 00.20.55.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-03 um 00.07.01.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-03 um 00.07.20.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-03 um 00.06.46.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 2

@Tom, I hate to say I'm not convinced. The power lines are there yes, the curved driveway too, but there is a sidewalk which is also faintly visible on the 1986 aerial, which was not present in the scene.

vor 14 Minuten schrieb daytona365:

@Tom, I hate to say I'm not convinced. The power lines are there yes, the curved driveway too, but there is a sidewalk which is also faintly visible on the 1986 aerial, which was not present in the scene.

That sidewalk is only visible near the driveway where it is out of camera frame. Also there was certainly a lot of change between 86 and 87 regarding with vegetation and grass (I believe that lot was  divided around 86 as there is a south entrance and driveway to the house that is gone later) as we also saw at the Ballard condo where the 86 aerial looks completely different in vegetation.

After checking 100s of intersections in Pinecrest, Kendall and up to the Grove with historic aerials I can say only a southbound Ave in Kendall fits with the episode criteria and this is the best fit of them. All other areas around other locations have to be ruled out as neither the street/intersection fits nor the house.

Here both fit and the sidewalk can be explained as can the house in the distance if it was built after the 86 aerial and razed before 94. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

UNKNOWN LOCATION: FOXY BOXERS Boulevard Theater 7770 Biscayne Bvd?

During my research for foxy boxers locations in Miami I came across the old "Boulevard Theater" as a potential location. Foxy boxing was popular in Florida nightclubs but I could not find any specific leads on certain nightclubs in the Miami area. The boxers in this episode wore "Florida Foxy Boxing" T-Shirts and there was no other clue visible in these scenes.

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/10894

It was used as an adult movie theater until the late 70s, and as a nightclub including Foxy Boxing after 2000 (current interior pic below). No clue what it was used for in the late 80s, but it matches size-wise (it is a large location with a very high ceiling in this episode and it was NOT the Club Nu). Also its proximity to the North Bay Village location in the teaser and the Greenwich Studios is an obvious fact. 

Not a sure thing, but definitely a possibility.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-30 um 23.10.50.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-30 um 23.29.48.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-30 um 23.32.53.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-30 um 23.33.56.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-30 um 23.36.29.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

THE STILL UNKNOWN CRIME SCENE - DISSECTED PART 2 - MY "J50"

I dissected every single frame and found a new clue that added a new mystery rather than solving the case.

We found earlier an ascending wall or fence in the last part of that scene. I have found that this fence(?) is also visible high up left of the upper corner of the ambulance car in some frames (before the corner column of the house blocks our view during the camera pans to the left) and after the column has stopped blocking view the "fence" is missing, there is NOTHING left to see in the upper left of the ambulance although the vertical camera angle has not changed. ??? First I thought I was in the Missing hours episode and the aliens did this.

I then did lot of stills and magnifications to find out what that "fence" looking item is and why it is so high up in the air. @daytona365 and I have developed a theory that the fence could be the ramp of a garage or parking lot, as there are some very unique parking lot lamps visible in this scene that still can be found in Miami Beach. But this fence so close and so high up, no parking structure visible and the "fence" is visible on one side of the column and completely gone on the other makes no sense to me. Maybe this scene has become my personal "Tony Arcaro"/"j50" and I have become Hank Weldon ? ?(:p 

If someone has a clue what this "fence item" could be and can save me, please let me know!

P.S. there is a high=main power grid visible in this scene. Usually these main grid lines run north-sounth, i.e. the camera would face west in this scene and the street we see behind the spectators would run north-south.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-20 um 23.02.33.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-20 um 23.09.22.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-20 um 23.10.05.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-20 um 23.11.18.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-20 um 23.14.05.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-20 um 23.37.44.png

Edited by Tom

vor 1 Minute schrieb Dadrian:

@Tom I guess you’ve already asked Lorraine? :D 

No, Hank destroyed his and maybe I will come to a point where I destroy my Lorraine if I get too desperate over this mystery :p?

• Haha 1

vor 3 Minuten schrieb daytona365:

My J50 has become the Ballard house in To Have And To Hold...I need to find it soon or I‘m gonna need an exorcist!

That´s my J51. I am still searching for it every day.

In the meantime I got so frustrated that I solved some other longstanding mysteries in between (e.g. Dolphin Lounge exterior, Izzy´s break-in shop in Made for each other) to cool me down :D

Any new ideas as to my new pics and question (magically disappearing fence) above?

Edited by Tom

For all who missed that detail above: this "fence" seems to have a parallel metal (hand) guiderail on top on all single frames! That adds to the question what it is: a "fence" usually does not have any guiderails on top as nobody walks on it.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-21 um 11.40.23.png

• Like 1

I checked the scene again with the the Koch BluRay in slow running frame-by-frame mode and found out that the magically disappearing "fence" in both parts of the scene is the same, just the angle seems to make it disappear. In the first part (next to the ambulance) it looks much higher up as the camera is positioned lower than at the end of the pan (and the camera is looking south or southwest) when the camera has moved, turned (looking west) and is positioned higher and the fence seems to be at a completely different place. But the round metal chimneys visible under the fence prove that it is the same fence.

Most interesting is that the fence starts after a white concrete building(?) part and is then taking a doube-L-shaped shift to the back before stretching further out straight into the distance. That shift is not visible at the end of the scene when that part of the fence is in a dead angle of the camera. 

I am still wondering what that "fence" is and haven´t found an explanation for it.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-20 um 23.02.33.png

• Like 1

vor 1 Minute schrieb Dadrian:

@Tom probably stupid question, but have you ruled out the possibility of a reflective surface accounting for the fence mystery? 

are we talking about UFOs here? :p

If you refer to the mystery why the fence "disappeared": I solved it above with the Koch BluRay,

If you mean the mystery what the "fence" actually is: this mystery remains....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

The Embers restaurant at 245 22 Street that became Club Nu in 1987. I was in there myself several times when I lived in SoBE. Unfortunately I don´t have interior pictures from that time.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-03 um 02.03.12.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-03 um 02.04.13.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-03 um 02.06.12.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-03 um 02.06.57.png

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

first I thought I had found a lead for that apartment building behind Crockett (last unknown crime scene), but at second look it was a wash (doors are similar, but the windows have three segments, not two. Address of the old pic was 345 Washington Ave which would not have fit with the intersections around we see and the parking lot with street lamps.

The search continues...

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-03 um 14.37.22.png

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I just searched for this building from North Beach and along the 79th St Causeway to the mainland, but I came up empty. I also looked a bit in South Beach.  Triple windows are pretty rare.

I think we see the entire side of the building.  The pattern of windows and doors is:

W-D-W-W-W-D-D-W-W-W-W-W-W-D-D-W-W-W-W-W-W-D-W-W-W-D-D-W

[edit] It just occurred to me that this building might be curved?!?!?

lafs1.png.825f7b79188b09a2339d6526193a8267.png

Edited by airtommy

vor 5 Stunden schrieb airtommy:

I just searched for this building from North Beach and along the 79th St Causeway to the mainland, but I came up empty. I also looked a bit in South Beach.  Triple windows are pretty rare.

I think we see the entire side of the building.  The pattern of windows and doors is:

That apartment complex is one of the biggest mysteries left. There is a curved wall in front of the building (Building is not curved as I see it), a few meters away from the front, enabling cars to park between the wall and the building. That alone should be easy to see from above, combined with the pink sidewalk easy to be located in Miami Beach somewhere up to 79th street. Then there are the black parking lot street lamps in the background that are typical for Miami Beach. But it ain’t there. Daytona 365 and I have searched for it everywhere, also on historic aerials but zilch.

Edited by Tom

• 2 weeks later...

I found an interesting article in a local boating magazine in March 1989 that Club Nu had once a boxing ring inside which makes it a possible location for Foxy Boxing in this episode -there was a boxing ring and waiters or at least a referee with boxing shorts - where Club Nu´s seating area was used several times anyway.

I could not find any clear matches between Like a hurricane and LAFS episodes but it is definetely possible. I have been in Club Nu several times myself in the late 80s/early 90s and it was big and high enough for the Foxy Boxing ring plus it had very expensive decoration changing every three months or so.

The article also describes that Paris Modern (club used in Borrasca) had many monitors which is also a feature that we could see in that earlier episode.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-04 um 12.26.00.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-04 um 12.57.35.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 2

On 4/24/2021 at 4:53 AM, airtommy said:

It's very very similar to this one, but wider and the top floor was probably added later

50506401261_11dab78fe3_b.jpg

vor 40 Minuten schrieb daytona365:

It's very very similar to this one, but wider and the top floor was probably added later

50506401261_11dab78fe3_b.jpg

According to the black street lamps we see in this scene that I have seen so far in South Beach only and the pink walkways there is strong indication for Miami Beach, but it simply ain´t there (on historic aerials). The building looks like an typical apartment building or motel, underlined by the wall in front of the building that enables car parking between the building and the curb.

1 hour ago, daytona365 said:

It might not have a third floor.  That might be the building behind it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/14/2020 at 6:46 AM, Tom said:

UNKNOWN CRIME SCENE AT DEAD END STREET

the stop sign is much more distant than the dead-end sign (which usually stands exactly at the start of the dead-end street). Thus I conclude the streets coming from the left (dead end sign) and the right (stop sign) are shifted 20-30m from each other which is unusual and would exclude many dead end street intersections in Dade county.

Here is an example of the same street sign alignment:

https://goo.gl/maps/R58mxYVraLJS5XsK8

The sign says "watch for children".  This is very unfortunate for us because it means we might not be looking for a street that has a dead-end or sharp curve.

vor 1 Stunde schrieb airtommy:

Here is an example of the same street sign alignment:

https://goo.gl/maps/R58mxYVraLJS5XsK8

The sign says "watch for children".  This is very unfortunate for us because it means we might not be looking for a street that has a dead-end or sharp curve.

I deem this location as found. See above. The best match with the house, the hedge and the driveway. Unless somebody comes with a better one or a knock out criteria. I have checked hundreds of intersections and this is the only one that fits and is close to Crockett’s home. And the dead end assumption was dropped long time ago in favor of a different meaning of the sign shape.