• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shill

• Dadrian

• timm525

• dchan

Top Posters In This Topic

Prodical sone is like the favourite one ...You never heard the saying "dad always liked you better than me"A prodical son is one who made a success out of himself and may do good for the family possibly when he returns from his endevours such as University or something. That is why they say "the prodical son returns home"Hope that helps....?

• Administrators

OK, OK...I'll take a stab and say that Tubbs is/was the Prodigal Son for NY and he was coming home to help out with the drugs.That's my best take on the ep. and what it has to do with the title.

OK' date=' OK...I'll take a stab and say that Tubbs is/was the Prodigal Son for NY and he was coming home to help out with the drugs.That's my best take on the ep. and what it has to do with the title.[/quote']i always took it that way."yankee dollar" is the strange one for me.

• Administrators

OK, I'll take a stab at "Yankee Dollar" too.Us Yankees, AKA Americans, have/had the greatest currency in the world (at one time). Our money was backed by gold. Dollar for dollar. Today that is not so and it is based on good faith and is declining in value. Especially when our government prints the 700 billion (*ahem*) for the bailout.Any-hows, when it comes to drugs and wanting money, I think that most drug dealers want US currency more than other countrie's money.Here's a clue. Isn't it ironic that Saddam Hussein, who despised the West (AKA US), was captured with 3/4 of a million dollars in US money in his "spider hole" he was found in? Why didn't he have 3/4 of a million dollars, or what ever he called it, in his money? You know, the ones he printed with his smiling face on it. Answer is, who the hell would accept his money as having any value? The only value his money would have had is if he had a bad case of diarrhea! US money is probably the most widely accepted form of currency in the world. I know some will probably argue that statement and you *may* be correct today. It is/was valuable because of it's backing which in now nothing more then our government's word it's good.I think Mr. Johnston said it best in “Prodigal Son” (how relevant to the topic): “Money is a commodity like oil or water. And that American dollar is the best brand there is in the world. Now those of us who have it…can make more of it…by loaning it to those who don’t. Not so long ago…our bank…loaned a lot of money to our friends in Latin America. We are talking about hundreds of millions of dollars. Now, they aren’t going to repay that…by selling straw bags and clay pots. If these Latin borrowers default…we would be decimated. And we are America. We are the entire free world. When we sneeze…everybody catches a cold. That’s why…it’s very, very important…that we nurture and protect…our Latin brother’s major cash crops.”Bottom line, US currency is what most drug dealers would seek which is why the ep. was titled “Yankee Dollar”.Just my two cents worth here.PS: Please don’t ask any more of these deep seeded philosophical questions. My little brain is fried thinking about all of this. :)

Wow Timm...That was very well done. Cudos!Now answer this question my friend.....................Why?Answer here ________________________________________

• Administrators

Wow Timm...That was very well done. Cudos!Now answer this question my friend.....................Why?Answer here ________________________________________

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Don't know if you ever watched "The Prisoner" from the sixties but that is how the secret agent screwed up the computer. Fed it the question "WHY?" and it blew up!!!Unanswerable question..............................................

I agree with a previous post referencing Tubbs as the aformentioned returning prodigy or prodigal son as it were.I remember watching the You Belong To The City video on MTV back then and the VJ remarking that the song was actually written for the Tubbs character even though Crockett was shown walking around NYC while the song played on that episode.

I've been shot down or ignored in .org for my argument that Sonny, not Rico, was the "Prodigal Son". I think my arguments were way too long for a posting, and they delved way too deeply into philosophy or theology for a T.V. show. The old argument for not taking Vice so seriously is, "It's a T.V. show, for chrissakes!" Great! So why do Vice fans participate on multiple forums for a simple TV show if we weren't fanatics of the show? So onward! ......On the surface, Rico is the "Prodigal Son" because after living in Miami for so long, he's finally returning home to New York. The "son" in the biblical parable leaves home for a distant country and then returns home. That's pretty much where the similarities end, IMO.In the parable, the "Prodigal Son" was wasteful and lived a prodigious life, hence the meaning of "prodigal", after demanding his inheritance from his father and setting off to a distant country. After wasting all of his money and resources, the 'son' comes back home, and his father opens his arms and heart towards him in forgiveness. Rico may have returned home to New York, but he was not returning to a forgiving 'father'. Nor did he leave home to become wasteful: he avenged his brother's death and worked as a Vice detective. And even though he returned back to NYC, he doesn't stay there: the detectives return to Miami. So that leaves Sonny. He leaves his home for a distant place, and then returns home. But how was he wasteful or prodigious, and who was the 'father' in all of this? This gets a little complicated, not to mention weird.The 'father' in all of this is Gina. Sonny had many romantic relationships, but Gina was the one person who was always dedicated to him and there for him if something went wrong. She was his most constant romantic figure and companion. Sonny loved Gina as well, but never really returned the same level of love that she showed him. In a distant and foreign city, while Gina was hospitalized with life-threatining injuries, Sonny gives his love to a woman that he just met a few days beforehand. And he professes a true enough love towards her that he implicitly reveal that he's an undercover cop, possibly jeapordizing his whole mission (and almost getting killed because of it). But when he realized that he only 'wasted' his love and feelings on her, he decided to return home as he realized that there was nothing for him in the city anymore. Once he returned home, everybody in the Vice office acts like he and Rico barely left. All except for Gina, who welcomed him home with open arms once again. Sure, in this specific case, she probably didn't know that he 'wasted' his love on another woman. But she's experienced the same thing before with other women, and she has forgiven him each time. Whew!

tolstoy's shorter stories are GREAT!not to get off subject here, but you can buy a book of them and they are great. i liked better than anna karenina or war and peace.sorry...just a shot in the dark

dchan' date=' great explanation!That is one way to look at it and it makes a lot of sense.[/quote']Thanks. It does make sense, but only if you look for meaning in the episode titles. Personally, I never really did: some titles were very appropriate, while others were just weird. But when somebody on .org asked why the episode was named "The Prodigal Son", and somebody responded, "Because Tubbs is the Prodigal Son returning home to NYC once again", it just didn't sit well with me because it didn't fit with the rest of the parable. Plus, Sonny completely dominated that whole episode, so I had have a crack at it. Longwinded and obtuse? So's this post! :)

I agree with a previous post referencing Tubbs as the aformentioned returning prodigy or prodigal son as it were.I remember watching the You Belong To The City video on MTV back then and the VJ remarking that the song was actually written for the Tubbs character even though Crockett was shown walking around NYC while the song played on that episode.

It makes sense that Frey wrote the song with Tubbs "belonging to the city". But I guess the episode was made around the peak of Crockett-mania or Don Johnson-mania, so somebody made the decision to have Sonny doing the walk instead. Sonny looked awesome walking the city in that sequence, but his heart, mind, and soul were never really with New York. I'd like to think that the sequence was an ironic statement compared with what was going on in Sonny's mind at the time.